Notices

Questions about after Methadone

Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about after Methadone

I am the sister of a heroin addict who was on Methadone for 2 years in the Philadelphia area. 2 weeks ago, she went off the Methadone because she felt strong enough and wanted to detox from it before starting school this Fall. My understanding is that at the clinic she was at, there are weekly one-on-one counseling sessions and daily group meetings plus daily dosage of Methadone. After she was completely weaned off of the Methadone, she was discharged from the clinic with NO support. No meetings or counseling sessions. She said she was prepared for the physical part of the detox but not the mental part. A few days ago, she lost her job and became suicidal. She used heroin for the first time (that I know of) in 2 years. We found enough bags to indicate a lethal does. She is currently alive but is on life support. My interest is not in suing the clinic or in blaming anybody. I was wondering the following:
1) Has anybody detoxed from Methadone and if so, did you receive any support after you were completely off of it?
2) Are there any guidelines that you know of that require some type of care after you go off of Methadone?
3) I'm not familiar with how the clinics work, but is it even possible to talk with them about these things? I would imagine privacy policies will protect them and the patients.
4) Are the clinics usually run by the state, local government, or are they privately run?
5) Any advice on who I should contact to help me find these things out?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-27-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most clinic's are for profit so once you stop paying they offer no support. They do have to answer to a state authority and are highly regulated. Go to this site for help.
Do a search for atwatchdog, I don't have enough posts to give the exact link.
They have a lot of resources and can point you to where to file complaints and get help.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Sisofaddict,
Welcome to SR and I'm so sorry that you are hurting from the suicidal attempt, your sister was hurting too.
Rsmith is correct, these Methadone Clinics are mostly for profit clinics and once you leave you are discharged from their care. Your sister might have been given some info on local AA/NA support groups or hot lines, or aftercare. Only she knows what after care suggestions she was given when she left.
My daughter (23) was weaned down from her Methadone dose (her choice) and went on a different maintenance medication called Suboxone. She needed the emotional support after methadone and she still gets support, group meetings, her therapist, her psychiatrist, NA, and her family (if she accepts the family support).
Addiction is a very difficult disease to control and live with. You are an addict, in recovery, the rest of your life.
Please educate yourself, via the stickies above, about addiction. Read, read and read what the members are talking about.
Take care of YOU! Your sister is in Gods capable hands. She is in the hospital getting the best care she can get.
You can call the Methadone Clinic and tell them what happened, but, she was discharged and weaned off the methadone, and there's nothing else they can do except offer you some suggestions on taking care of YOU! Like Narconon or some other support group...you will most likely need it.
Bless the addicted sister and the family that cares for and loves her. I hope she recovers soon and on her way to sobriety.
Please take care of yourself!
TF