Notices

Suboxone Jump Off

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone Jump Off

I have read a few older threads on here but wanted to get some fresh advice. I started subs 3 weeks ago at 16mg and have been tapering ever since. I am currently on 4mg and will be tapering down to 2mg this weekend. Starting on Monday I will be down to 1mg. This has all been under doctor supervision. However, I start a new job next Friday and want to be completely done with my subs by then. Any personal experience with jumping off at 1mg? I'm going to try and get a few days in at .5mg but the problem is my new job is further from my doctor and I will not be able to continue this taper after next Friday. (Being in a new position I wouldn't want to take time off work). I've been fortunate my current job has been fine with my doctor appointments. I really didn't want to be on subs that long and I have been very comfortable with this taper. I'm hoping with a total taper of 4 weeks and getting down to 1mg, I just might be ok. Any thoughts or personal experiences?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Avery - I don't have relevant personal experience to share, but 9 days doesn't seem like a lot of runway even if you were coming off of a short-acting opi. Did you explain the taper plan to the doctor? Are you mentally prepared to start the new job if you are still sick next Friday?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been following the doctors taper these past 3 weeks. She said by next Thursday I should be down to 1 or .5mg. I wont be able to go back to the doc for a while after I start my new job. The doctor is aware of this. I am mentally prepared to start this new job. I have to be. The doctor will give me the medication since I will be at the tale end of my taper. I'm worried about jumping and beginning a new job at the same time. Just wanted to know of others experience with this kind of taper schedule and get an idea of how I may feel. Once again, I'm having anxiety over something I can't control!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dmp

Hello!
I am currently on day 5 of quitting sub from .5 mg. I was at .5 for 2 weeks before quitting. In my honest opinion, I wouldn't rush yourself too heavily. When you cut from 1 to .5, you will probably have a couple days of withdrawals. So if you cut from 1 to .5, then like two days later quit, you will have almost non stop withdrawals because your body was used to the 1 mg and not the .5. So at that point you are basically jumping off from 1mg with a .5 kicker. I will say , whichever you choose to do, you can do it! It is day 5 for me and I feel fantastic. No more rls for me or depression or anything. You will have almost no sleep for the first three days, but after that you are gold. They may last a little longer for you, and I just want you to do this right so your first week of work isn't spent with no sleep and feeling like death. I support you!

Let us know how it goes and I will happily help put
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Dmp! Were you taking .5 every day for 2 weeks and then jump? Or did you take it every other day then jump?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rooting for you Avery! I am cold turkey tomorrow! Remember we can scare ourselves into failing or succeeding sometimes. I can tell you really want this. My advice is keep setting up your armor for your jump off. The more prepared you are mentally, physically, and spiritually the easier the fight will be.
Believe in yourself! I am believing in you---- we can do this!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dmp

I just jumped straight off at .5 mg. no skipping days.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Stopper, how are you feeling today? First day CT right? Sending lots of hugs your way.

Dmp, that's good to know. I plan to jump at .5 next week. I do need to mentally prepare for it. I feel pretty good jumping at .5 and so does my doc. So nervous. How are you feeling today?

I dropped from 4mg to 2mg today. Yikes
Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I fine so far. I took a small piece yesterday afternoon, so I am not quite 24 hours in yet. The normal leg stuff but nothing I can't handle. I am guessing I won't be into withdrawals til tomorrow? I keep telling myself I feel fine.. We will see how far that goes.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AveryMarie View Post
I have read a few older threads on here but wanted to get some fresh advice. I started subs 3 weeks ago at 16mg and have been tapering ever since. I am currently on 4mg and will be tapering down to 2mg this weekend. Starting on Monday I will be down to 1mg. This has all been under doctor supervision. However, I start a new job next Friday and want to be completely done with my subs by then. Any personal experience with jumping off at 1mg? I'm going to try and get a few days in at .5mg but the problem is my new job is further from my doctor and I will not be able to continue this taper after next Friday. (Being in a new position I wouldn't want to take time off work). I've been fortunate my current job has been fine with my doctor appointments. I really didn't want to be on subs that long and I have been very comfortable with this taper. I'm hoping with a total taper of 4 weeks and getting down to 1mg, I just might be ok. Any thoughts or personal experiences?
I know it's been a several weeks since you stopped and was wondering how you're doing? And how's the new job is going? I did the tapper and was down to 1/2 mg of suboxone for a couple days then stopped. I was only able to take 7 days of the WD's and got very, very, sick. I also have severe chronic pain which was being masked by the meds, and it really affected me. I was completely out of it and it seemed like the WD's would never stop. I was immediately put back on the suboxone earlier this week because of the pain and the risk of having another heart attack. I never, ever, thought the WD's were going to be so debilitating and last as long as it did.

I hope you came out the other side without too much pain and are free of any meds. If I wasn't in chronic pain, I think it would have been better for me, but unfortunately I'm going to have to be on some type of narcotic pain relievers for life, grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I freaking HATE being dependent on any type of drug, but I guess I have no choice!!!!

I would really like to hear how it went, if you don't mind me asking........

Durf
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am supporting my bf of 2 years. He is tapering down from the 16 mg. He told me last night he takes 3/4 couple times a day. Not sure what he really ment by that. If i ask to many questions he shuts down.
Please inform me of what he will be going thru as he tapers down?
I am seeking counselor advice about this topic next Monday. I think it will help even more if i hear from the actual people going thru this and how it affects them. I know everyone will be different...

He has woke in middle of the night with leg cramps so severe that he litterally punches his muscle and prays for it to stop.... Is this a side affect of tapering?

Please any info is appreciated....

Concerned gf
Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LeeLee, it's wild you mentioned punching. When I was coming off ops my knees ached so bad at night I would leave the bedroom to punch them as hard as I could to divert the pain to the outside. Definitely sounds like he is withdrawing.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel really bad for him when this occurs. So you are saying he probably didnt take as much that day is why he is hurting... He wants to stop taking it altogether. I am his support system and want to be there for him as he allows.
I only ask for advice from everyone of what I will see, how i can help his spirit, help him by encouraging him when he feels his worse....but is this something you all want to hear when you feel your worse. I dont want to aggrivate him either...but I want to keep a positive spin that he will get thru this and it will get better.... Would you want to hear these things when you are withdrawing?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to do it alone but I think positive reinforcement and empathy would have made it easier. He is lucky to have someone like you in his corner.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for saying that.

I only want him better!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I to am trying to get of the sub. I am finding it very difficult. I know this is a hell of a ride but I have to get off. My wife has been free from it for two weeks while she was in a treatment center. They gave her sub for 6 days and on the last day it was 2mgs. Then they just cut her off. She was taking at least 16 to 24 mgs. per day and she is having the worst time ever and also both of us have quit alcohol. I see what she is going through and I am not going to do that to myself. Will try the taper down per week and not get into a hurry of it
Old 09-06-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I started taking Suboxone 2 years ago. I was told by my Dr I would be off it easily as it wasn't addictive.. WRONG!!Very addictive.. It never got me high.. bit trying to stop taking it completely would send me into the worst hell of a depression. I remember when I tried to stop at only .5 mg... (Not even 1 mg) I went into the worse anxiety attack I had ever had and had to be taken to the ER. There, the DR on duty, knowing the meds I was on, said he never saw anybody get off of it.. That it was for LIFE! I'm just relating my experiences and what I was told. I was prescribed the full 16 mg.. I chose to only take a crumb.. no more than half a milligram.. Everytime I try to quit I get thrown into HELL! The worst depression I've ever experienced. I know this is not what others want to hear.. I'm only relaying my experience... I would love to hear from people whom have successfully got off of it. If I need to be on it for life than I need to be. It saved my life. But don't believe the hype that it is non-addicting and can be easily stopped. I sure wish I didn't. Blessings to you all <3
Old 09-08-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
I personally do not know and am trying to listen to all that is on here so i can understand what my bf is going thru. I PRAY for all that is given this medication!

I have spoken to a therapist myself to try and understand more, she says you CAN get off the suboxone. But it is all in YOUR timing. When you get it in your mind that YOU want to quit. I BELIEVE you can get off of them Tuscani. Let go of that fear of when you get close enough that you cant quit. Think of how far you have come to have to keep going thru it all over again if you quit right when you are almost there......
I know you would rather here from someone who knows first hand but again thank you for sharing. And I will pray for your stregnth to conquer this!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Guys, I have used Suboxone for a variety of situation throughout addictive addiction, be it a inpatient rehabs short term detox protocol, using it as a substitution between uses' and under a Dr's care. My longest stint was ten months where I used a taper program, going down to 2mg every other day, also under a Dr's care. Speaking on only personal experience I have gotten off Suboxone a multitude of times with little to no withdrawal symptoms, the last time staying sober for over a yr. For me having done it in different environments I know that a lot of it is mind over matter. Be strong, accept whats going to be a progressive situation, My Doc always rec. certain supplements and vitamins, my "therapist" gave me teas' and yoga practices', all just little tools to help me adjust after so many bouts with Opiates, IV heroin in my case.