Notices

Methadone how long until u felt ok?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone how long until u felt ok?

Hey everyone :-)
I've been using opiates off and on for about six years. I'm not new to the detox unfortunately. This time around I've been taking methadone one 10mg pill per day for three months now. I've detoxed off methadone once before about four years ago and the experience was hell on earth but fuzzy in details. I can't remember how long I was sick for, so I was hoping to get an estimate from people here.
Today is day 6 clean (tonight at 7 PST will be six full days) YAY!!! I know this time around doesn't seem as bad as my last methadone detox but it's still horrible. My doc gave me clonodine that's helping so much with the horrible sweating I was having and phenergan for nausea and I'm also taking Imodium for the runs that just started this morning for the first time (ugh lol sorry). The first 5 days weren't that bad and today seems the worst.

How long until the detox symptoms stopped and you felt normal again (or at least not sick)?? I know the long half life of methadone so I'm thinking every 2 days clean off of methadone is probably comparable to one day off of other opiates like Vicodin or oxy, so it'd be like I'm on day 3 off of one of those...
Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard some methadone detox horror stories, and then I've heard that the detox was manageable from some people.

Though I have no personal experience detoxing from methadone, I have been on it before (walked away from the clinic back to my DOC, unfortunately.)

I've heard from people who had to CT in jail from a high dose that they didn't feel normal for two or three months - hallucinations, dizzy, no sleep, etc.

However, on the bright side, it sounds like you were at a relatively low dose. I have heard from lots of people that if you taper successfully, the symptoms only last a week, week and a half, tops.

Best of luck! You CAN do this!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

all I know is it took a good couple three months for the 2mg reduction a week to start hitting me.. from a 70 mg dose for a year and half.. then took me another couple weeks or so after stopping at 15 mgs at the clinic for me to realize that I wasn't catching the flu. it was the withdrawl.. got mad and stopped completely at 15mgs... swelled from head to toe for weeks. even got blisters of fluid on tops of my feet.. pancreatitis from spasms of my biliary tract and the blood work from my regular md was normal.. mouth sores and cracks on the corners of my mouth.. high blood pressure... I swear.. 18 weeks and I'm still having trouble now with horrible depression so just get ready... but what ever you do .. do not go back to it....
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started feeling better after 2 weeks. I remember having relief after day 4, then felt raw and off after 7 days. It's like a 7 day itch but the 2nd week is better than the first. I felt even better and out of detox by the 2nd month. I am 11 months clean off methadone today. It DOES get easier. I used IV heroin for 5 years and was on methadone for 13 months in total. I quit from 150mg, weaned down to 2mg then took the plunge. When I was at low doses like under 5mg, thats when my methadone started lasting only a few hours, if that.

Congratulations on being 6 days! That is such a big deal even if you don't feel great, keep fighting!! Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello jdre.
I can totally relate to what you are going through. I was on methadone for 4 years. Today marks my 30th day clean from methadone. Here's how I did it. The highest dose I was on was 90mgs, and I slowly tapered myself down to 10mgs over the course of 4 years. Yes a long time I know.
The psychical symptoms, for me atleast lasted roughly 2-3 weeks. BUT, they were bearable with clonodine. Clonodine saved me. I still had some seriously rough withdrawals, but here is how I got through it.
First and foremost. LIGHT EXERCISE. I cannot stress this enough. Even if it is literally for 5 minutes, a small walk, or just some fresh air. It helps. Also, HOT BATHS. they help tremondously with the leg pains. Bear in mind, IT WILL PASS. you have to understand that your mind is incredibly powerful. Don't let it control you. Also, focus on your breathing. Take a deep breath in through your nose for 4 seconds, and hold it in for 2 seconds, then let it out through your MOUTH for 4 seconds. This breathing technique will help you calm down, and relax. Stay POSITIVE. KEEP REMINDING YOURSELF, this will pass. Say it to yourself as many times as you need to. Also, try to eat as healthy as you can. Your body is fighting off the withdrawals, and it needs energy. I know you may not be hungry, but force feed yourself. Bananas helped me. They are high in potassium and give you energy. Also, STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE. I cannot stress that enough. This too shall pass, and you will be feeling better in no time. Just remember, you are doing something amazing for yourself. YOU CAN DO THIS as long as you set your mind to it. Don't let your emotions and thoughts get the best of you. Stay busy. Call a friend. Go on a short tiny walk, watch tv. Just take time for yourself. Also, if you go on YouTube and search GUIDED meditation, this helps. Take it day by day, and keep reminding yourself , it will all be over so soon. I promise you. Congrats on making it 6 days. That is HUGE. The worst is over. Keep your head up high.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was only on methadone for a few months when I was on it. I started out with a 60mg dose and was weened down to 10mg's. I just stopped going to the clinic when I was on 10mg's. I was pretty sick the first week and felt physical withdrawal symptoms for about a month total. I still managed to function some how and start working. I was not completely sober by any means. I still drank and smoked weed during that period of time.