Notices

Depression, headaches and suboxone/naloxone

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Night owl

Depression, headaches and suboxone/naloxone

I haven't been posting much in the past month or so, dealing with a very disabling depression. I finally began to wonder if the suboxone could be causing or adding to depression at all. My subs doctor said it is in the list of side effects.

Since then I have been doing a lot of research and reading on this and finding a lot of information. I am particularly finding that people find the naloxone to be the culprit in their depressions and headaches. That when they have switched to subutex, the symptoms alleviate.

I know the naloxone is supposed to be inert but there are people, like me, who react to things that the vast majority never notice. So I wanted to post this and ask if anyone else has had any similar experiences? Either with suboxone or subutex or even naloxone itself?

I would really love to learn of anyone else's experiences with this and any information they can share or links to other info.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know my daughter experiences depression and is on Suboxon strips. I am trying to encourage her to see a counselor and psychiatrist for a med adjustment. She feels like she needs xanax just to cope with the world but I feel there has to be something else besides another bad drug.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me depression was a big part of PAWS and getting off of opiates in general and didn't have much to do with Subs / Nalox since when I was on that or nothing at all I still experienced depression.

I think you said you are already on antidepressants, but if not might be a good thing to bring up with your doctor OR maybe try some other antidepressant. It is really a crap shoot when it comes to antidepressants. Psych doctors basically just give you it and say see how you feel. Sometimes not much rhyme or reason to which one works best and is a case by case basis.

As always I recommend trying to get some light exercise if possible. Getting proper sleep and eating right. All of the little things can add up to big things. It took me a good year before I felt like my brain was firing normally again. Sucks because getting clean is hard enough without feeling like there is no reason to live some days. Feels like ground hog day sometimes. Every day sucks and you think you are never going to be happy again. Just keep trudging ahead and it will come around. Good luck and take care!!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Marcus - Thanks! I totally agree with your recommendation. BeachyBoy
Old 11-29-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thank you both for responding. I almost feel sacrilegious or something questioning my subs because it is a lifesaver in so many ways. Though with what I have been researching, it is possibly the naloxone causing some effects, or at least that's got me questioning.

Marcus, I am like you in that I have lifelong depression and I know there are many possible causes including PAWS. I also have seasonal Depression every year so that is at play now, too. I was just asking myself what are the changes I have had that may be leading to this particular depression and the one consistent change of late is the suboxone.

I know that it will probably take a lot of different things for me to try and do to deal with my depression and I am getting more open to and aware of a lot of different possibilities. So I am questioning naloxone but I also just found out I am borderline gluten intolerant (there goes the little that I do eat, sigh...) and have confirmation of adrenal issues so there's a lot for me to work with.

I agree that exercise is good though I am not very motivated. I do haul wood every day and have been trying to get out and do the raking on the land and some walks. But I am not very consistent. I know getting outside helps. I am also going to start working more intensively with my lightbox, getting more consistent "indoor" sunlight.

Edited because I forgot to add that I am not on any antidepressants and I intend to stay that way. I am not judging what other people choose but I am feeling for myself that I need to figure out how to get my depression under control without the antid's. I keep coming across medical literature saying that long term usage of them can cause cognitive impairment and an increase in relapse of depression. As I've been on them even longer than the opies, and always relapse when I try to get off them, well I think it's time to get clean from them, too. I am talking with my doctor about this and she agrees.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Subutex vs anti depressants

I just rejoined the community seeking help to get off Subutex. One thing I got from your posts is that you hardly question being on Suboxone, but think anti-depressants will cause you long term harm. Your thinking is really backward. If anything, get off the Subs and find a good doc to see and try the anti-depressants.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by ahab1964 View Post
I just rejoined the community seeking help to get off Subutex. One thing I got from your posts is that you hardly question being on Suboxone, but think anti-depressants will cause you long term harm. Your thinking is really backward. If anything, get off the Subs and find a good doc to see and try the anti-depressants.
Thanks for your reply. I have been on antidepressants longer than the opiates and have paid for it. New research and studies are showing that long term antidepressant use can cause chronic relapsing depressive episodes, cognitive damage and tardive dysphoria. When I take them I lose as much or more as I gain and I have tried nearly every single one. So I am trying something different.

I am beginning work on my adrenal glands which are in a state of exhaustion and depletion and I am trying to prevent failure. So I am looking in that and other unusual (for me) directions to try to understand this depression.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have been on antidepressants longer than the opiates and have paid for it. New research and studies are showing that long term antidepressant use can cause chronic relapsing depressive episodes, cognitive damage and tardive dysphoria. When I take them I lose as much or more as I gain and I have tried nearly every single one. So I am trying something different.

I am beginning work on my adrenal glands which are in a state of exhaustion and depletion and I am trying to prevent failure. So I am looking in that and other unusual (for me) directions to try to understand this depression.
Do you do some of the basics like exercise and getting sunlight? Don't underestimate the value of sun light. Get outside or at least open the blinds.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(beach boy)

I was taking subutex for 2 months, I thought I could quit on my own but was wrong. So I missed my appt. Got some sub from a friend. When I went back to my Dr, he gave me suboxone. With naloxone in it. And this has been the most depressing month ever. I go back to the Dr in two days. Thank goodness. But when I was just taking the subutex I felt fine. And happy. I hate this bup with naloxone. It has to be the reason I'm feeling depressed and irritable.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too suffered from depression and anxiety the whole time I used opiates. I got sober 4 years ago and my depression lifted. I was put on subutex without the naloxone. I felt fine and happy. I was able to function again. Then I think about 2 years in they put me on suboxone and I noticed I felt numb. Overtime it just got worse. As I began decreasing the dose it seemed to depress me more. Idk if it was because I was getting less of the opioid and the naloxone just made it worse. Anyways I have hit a bottom the last couple months. I have had to go on a Leave of Absence from work in order to keep my job. My Dr put me on an antidepressant but it hasn't done anything but make my headaches worse. I'm at a cross roads. I feel like I'm not going to get better until I'm off the subs but how the hell do I do that when I'm like this? I'm not really asking just venting. It helps to know I'm not the only person going through this.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR missinmyheart- you'll find a lot of support and understanding here

D