Notices

Need HELP!! - Methadone Withdrawals :(

Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

Need HELP!! - Methadone Withdrawals :(

Hey all. So I recently had an ******** trip at home to try and get me off of my Methadone. I was at 45mgs a day and have been addicted for coming on 3 years now.

I lasted until day 3, but things just seemed to get worse and worse and I ended up cracking. Time literally stood still and I had to literally hide my clocks from myself.
I was so sick that I couldn't really even move to get myself water or food, and I had noone to really take care of me either, which made it all that much worse. My mind wouldn't shut up either, back and forth, back and forth; so damn exausting, especially right after an ******** trip!! I didn't sleep for the whole 3 days either, and I think the sleeping thing was the worst part.

The good news is though that when I went back on my dose of Methadone (a couple days ago), I only went back to 20mgs, instead of the 45mgs that I was at. Before now, I've never been able to make it past 40mgs, so I'm really happy to be at 20mgs after such a short amount of time and have more of my feelings back. It was a real eye opener when I was cold-turkey I tell ya... having your feelings back purely is amazing. Before that the Opiates had totally erased my memory of how amazing feelings actually are. Like i was brain-washed or something!!

After really feeling all of my feelings again while I was in that cold-turkey place, it was like being reborn. I even had to re-learn everything I once knew, which literally blew my mind. I had no idea feelings are so good!! It's like I had it perfect before I went into drugs and didn't even know it.
So now I want all of my feelings back really badly and out of this crazy maiz. But I need some support from people who have been there!!!

Right now at 20mgs, things obviously aren't as bad as they were when I jumped cold-turkey, but it seems as if I'm in a mild withdrawal a lot of the time which annoys the **** out of me! Today is my third day on the 20mgs and I've only been able to get 4 hours of sleep in total in the last 5 days now, which is driving me nutz!!

My 20mg dose seems to start to poop out on me after 12 hours and than I'm stuck up all night. Before (at 45) it was more at the 24 hour mark and I was at least able to sleep each night until that 24 hour mark hit. But I keep telling myself that it probably needs to build up in my system because of the ******** I took together with the 3 days that I was off of my Methadone.

I guess I just need to get this stuff off my chest.

Does anyone know if I will eventually adjust to being on 20mgs?? Or am I always going to be at a mild withdrawal from here on out?? I'm confused and a bit scared about how that works exactly, as I don't want to be stuck awake for the next 5 months!!!

Also, is there any tips you guys can give me to make this more bearable. Any comfortmeds you guys have found to help? Or any suggestions you can give me to make this wean easier?

Also, do you guys know of anything that can help me finally pass out? SOmethin strong enough to knock out an elephant? LOL. I have tried 15mgs of zopiclone combined with about 10mgs of Melatonin and 50mgs of Gravol, and still I'm kept awake!! It really sucks.

In the end, hard is still hard you know?

ANY help at all would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You will definitely level out on t he 20 mill mate
4 to 6 days in my experience.
Dropping down a few mill at a time is the least pain full over a long period of time

Would like to worn you that when you stop for the 3 day's you get a much heightened sense of you feelings witch is prity uforic
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustSayNoo View Post
Hey all. So I recently had an ******** trip at home to try and get me off of my Methadone. I was at 45mgs a day and have been addicted for coming on 3 years now.

I lasted until day 3, but things just seemed to get worse and worse and I ended up cracking. Time literally stood still and I had to literally hide my clocks from myself.
I was so sick that I couldn't really even move to get myself water or food, and I had noone to really take care of me either, which made it all that much worse. My mind wouldn't shut up either, back and forth, back and forth; so damn exausting, especially right after an ******** trip!! I didn't sleep for the whole 3 days either, and I think the sleeping thing was the worst part.

The good news is though that when I went back on my dose of Methadone (a couple days ago), I only went back to 20mgs, instead of the 45mgs that I was at. Before now, I've never been able to make it past 40mgs, so I'm really happy to be at 20mgs after such a short amount of time and have more of my feelings back. It was a real eye opener when I was cold-turkey I tell ya... having your feelings back purely is amazing. Before that the Opiates had totally erased my memory of how amazing feelings actually are. Like i was brain-washed or something!!

After really feeling all of my feelings again while I was in that cold-turkey place, it was like being reborn. I even had to re-learn everything I once knew, which literally blew my mind. I had no idea feelings are so good!! It's like I had it perfect before I went into drugs and didn't even know it.
So now I want all of my feelings back really badly and out of this crazy maiz. But I need some support from people who have been there!!!

Right now at 20mgs, things obviously aren't as bad as they were when I jumped cold-turkey, but it seems as if I'm in a mild withdrawal a lot of the time which annoys the **** out of me! Today is my third day on the 20mgs and I've only been able to get 4 hours of sleep in total in the last 5 days now, which is driving me nutz!!

My 20mg dose seems to start to poop out on me after 12 hours and than I'm stuck up all night. Before (at 45) it was more at the 24 hour mark and I was at least able to sleep each night until that 24 hour mark hit. But I keep telling myself that it probably needs to build up in my system because of the ******** I took together with the 3 days that I was off of my Methadone.

I guess I just need to get this stuff off my chest.

Does anyone know if I will eventually adjust to being on 20mgs?? Or am I always going to be at a mild withdrawal from here on out?? I'm confused and a bit scared about how that works exactly, as I don't want to be stuck awake for the next 5 months!!!

Also, is there any tips you guys can give me to make this more bearable. Any comfortmeds you guys have found to help? Or any suggestions you can give me to make this wean easier?

Also, do you guys know of anything that can help me finally pass out? SOmethin strong enough to knock out an elephant? LOL. I have tried 15mgs of zopiclone combined with about 10mgs of Melatonin and 50mgs of Gravol, and still I'm kept awake!! It really sucks.

In the end, hard is still hard you know?

ANY help at all would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
So the ******** didn't work? I've been wondering about it but not sure about the tripping side of it.

You will adjust to the Mgs. I'm about to jump off suboxone because I miss having feelings. I'm not looking forward to it. The depression and anxiety gets me the most. I plan on taking off work until I am feeling good.

The clocks standing still is the worst part. If time stood that still when we
Are sober imagine all the stuff we could get done in a day! Lol.. My plan is to go off. If I start to struggle I will call some friends. If I can't do it I will write the check to rehab. It's either get sober or get dead for me. I can't live like this.

Stay strong
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

Thank you for the replies.

I can really relate to what you are saying Midwest.

When I was kicking my habit of 45mgs cold turkey for those 3 days, time did stand still for me as well. What I found to work best was literally hiding all of the clocks from myself and basically making clocks not exist. I even had to put coloured tape over the spot on my computer where the clock was showing and still have it there as there are moments wher time slows right down for me (especially in the morning before I have had my dose), or if I am stuck up all night, etc..

And unfortunately no, the ******** did not work to get rid of my withdrawals. It may have helped get rid of a portion of it as I wasn't puking or crapping my guts out or anything like I have heard hapens for many who jump from high doses of Methadone, but I was still absolutely misserable and knowing that things were geting worse was one of the things that made me crack (as Methadone withdrawals are not supposed to fully start for 3-4 days or something like that, and I was able to tell by the size of my pupils each day where I was at with that as well). As the days went by I felt myself getting sicker and sicker due to the Methadone's half-life, and that's when I realised that I didn't plan it out enough beforehand. I felt like I literally needed a full-time nurse to take care of me, to feed me, to give me water, and that I was not prepared for.
You live and you learn though right?

I have been told that ******** does not work at all for Suboxone because of how tight it binds to the receptors as well as the half-life.
As for the Methadone, my dose was too high in my opinion for it too work and I did not have enough boosters prepared beforehand to get me over the worst part of the withdrawals.
The ******** may have worked if I had gone to an actual ******** treatment facility and had been treated there by professionals, but because I did it at home and had noone to help me it did not work for me unfortunately.

It did help me realise a bunch of stuff though which did help emotionally, but it has a sort of "vacuum effect" that only people who have done ******** can understand. For anyone doing ******** I would highly recommend writing down all of your experience somewhere and everything you learned so you can look back on it one day if you need a reminder...
I was able to write down some of my trip, but not all of it due to my withdrawals.
In a way ******** was an emotional reset IMO, but not a physical one due to the nature of the Methadone I guess.

People recommend that you swicth to short-acting opiate or Opioid before doing an ******** treatment and let all of the long acting Opiate leave your system first, but I think doing this would be like playing russion rullette in a way, as you wouldn't really know whether or not you would return from the short-acting opiate due to its addictive nature which got use here in the first place.

IMO, the best way that ******** can work for someone on a long-acting Opiate/Opioid like us is if we were to wean down all the way to 0mgs first and than go through at least two weeks of the withdrawals ourselves before doing the ********. After that I would than take the ******** and I think if it was done that way it could seriously benefit the person doing it in his or her recovery.

After trying ******** I don't even consider Mushrooms or LSD a true phychedelics. They don't even compare at all when it comes to ********/*****. It really is something to try, but only if you are in good enough health (no heart problems etc.).

Feelings are really an amazing thing Midwest. Going through the hell to get them back and be abe to live comfortably it totally worth it, as there is nothing as good as what we had to begin with IMO. We were born perfect. But as they say, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

I hope for your sake that you have weaned down to a low enough dose Midwest before you jump. I also hope you are preparring yourself enough beforehand and not making the same mistakes that I did when I tried to jump. I would really recommend getting all of the comfort meds that you are going to need beforehand and having them at close reach (as well as everything that you are going to need).

Because I know for me, I got so sick by the third day that I couldn't even get myself to move 2 feet ahead of me and prepare a proper booster dose of ******** to help ease the withdrawals. If I had had all of the booster doses dosed out beforehand and close by I may have been still been clean.

I have to count my blessing though, as do we all.

The fact that I was able to chop off 25 mgs in the last 6 days is a huge accomplishment in itself, so I shouldn't dwell on the what if's and all that.

I hope you succeed in getting your feelings and life back Midwest. These long-acting legal Opioids are absolute hell IMO.

In the end, we have to do what we have to do right?

And the longer we wait to do it, the more years of our life that will be stolen away from us.

One thing I realised when I was clean for those 3 days is how long a day actually is. Even now at 20mgs, days are so much longer. Realising that and living it hand on really opened my eyes to how much time I have had stolen away from me by the drugs.

I wish to have no more time stolen from me, as I am trully realising now just how precious it is.

I took way too many things for granted when I was high.

But again, you live and you learn.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

How fast would you guys recommend that I drop??

I would like to drop by 1mg I think, but also don't want to screw myself over by going too fast you know?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

I think once a week would probably be alright, but I guess I'll see what the Doc recommends.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

I had to quit cigarettes at the same time as the Methadone, and the cigarettes I haven't gone back to so far. I am finding the cravings extremely fierce though and just hoping that they are going to lessen their grips for me.

It's been nine days since everything and I am still having a ton of ups and downs.

I had to start splitting my dose (10 and 10) because it wasn't lasting long enough and was causing me to stay up all night dope sick.

This would be a lot easier if I didn't have the crazy ass cigarette cravings nagging the **** out of me... but I am also trying to keep in mind that the cigarettes will only make things worse for me.

Overall it's just a lot of ups and downs and I just pray things will level out for me soon as it's already been 9 days and I thought I would be adjusted by now. I justw ant to wean down more already, but my clinic thinks I should wait another week and a bit because of how much of a decrease I did.

Maybe some of it is emotional to, but it's hard to say.

If the weather was warm here already and I was able to walk around and get out of this small room I think things would be a lot easier. Winters lasting a lot longer over here than it usually does this year unfortunately.

I use 50mgs of Dipenhydramine to help me fall asleep, and it works to an extent, but it also seems to make my Methadone run out faster which is crappy. I still wake up pretty sick even though I split my dose now. It's just rediculous how fast my metabolism is when it comes to that.
I wish I could find another sleepig aid that woked for me without doing that, one that didn't have too many side-effects for me to use either.

Weaker one's like Melatonin don't do a damn thing.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I decided to quit methadone, I detoxed from 150mgs. I cut my dose in halfto 75mgs and didn't really notice any withdrawals. I stayed at that for a few weeks. I agree, your dose will normalize with your system in about 4-6 days. From 75mgs I dropped by 5mgs every 4-6 days. Still I didn't have any withdrawals. Once I got to 20mgs, however, I realized dropping 5 was going to be too much, so I decreased by 2mgs every 4-6 days or until that dose normalized, I'd drop 2mgs more. Once I got to 5mgs I decreased by 1mg ever 4-6 days. I stayed at 3and 2mgs for 6days each. The key is letting your dose normalize before dropping again. Methadone is deceptively powerful. I don't recommend cold turkey because it's dangerous imo. It leaves your body slowly which is a double edge sword because it takes longer to detox but doesn't shock your system. I was never in thrashing withdrawal, thankfully! It was horrible fatigue, sleeplessness, muscle pain, etc. Much much more mild than detoxing heroin or pills. Today I'm 35 days clean from methadone. I highly recommend getting to as low as a dose as possible because not shocking your body will allow for a stronger fight. Good luck, friend
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be careful splitting your dose, because you're preventing it from normalizing. There were a couple nights I dipped the tip of my finger in my methadone bottle to help me sleep, and not be sickly. I also started dosing around 1 or noon so I could fall asleep. Once I actually stopped taking methadone, sleeplessness was the worst, for about 12 days I got sh*t for sleep. Melatonin didn't help, chamomile didn't help. Xanax only helps for a couple hours. But I tried not to take that either. It is a battle of craving and conquering that craving, and it does get much easier.
Try not to over analyse your plan or your will to quit. We tend to get all worked up, weighing options, talking ourselves out of detoxing and back into detoxing...But quiting from a low enough dose really want as bad as I had prepared for, in hindsight.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

UPDATE:

So I'm on 18mgs of Methadone a day now. (9mgs in the am and 9mgs in the pm).

Today's my third day on the new dose. Day one went smooth. I looked at it as the calm before the storm.

Day two (yesterday) could have been worse.
I mainly felt a little weird (especially before I got to take the rest of my dose). After that I was just mainly tired. Pretty much just closed my eyes for the rest of the day, even if I wasn't sleeping... Just sort of sat there in the dark with my eyes closed basically, sort of meditaded, thought about things, took cat naps. I wasn't in the most ecstatic mood but whatever.

Just starting day 3 now. Haven't taken my first dose yet.

My clinic finally started to split my doses for me now to, so I don't have to do it myself anymore. Feels a lot better that way. Happy to actually know how much I'm taking; rather than having to eyeball it myself every day and never really knowing.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wink

I'm glad you got your clinic to administer and agree to splitting your dose. Doing detox under doctor supervision is optimum. I'm very proud of you for taking the steps of detoxing methadone. Every person is different and I hope you keep conjuring the strength to enable your end of opiate addiction.

It appears you have the will to quit. The strength we gather from ourselves is as vital as our will. If you lack strength, conjure it from others! Another, up and coming warrior!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

UPDATE:

So day 3 was a rough one for me. Not as bad as day 2, but still not good. I was very tired and depressed, also very bored from what I remember. Generally just not myself.

I remember when I was weaning down from the higher doses of Methadone, like for example, from 50-45mgs a day. By the end of day 3, I recall the worst of the wean would be over, and by day 4 I would normally be fairly adjusted and in the clear... Well this time it just wasn't like that at all.

Because of this memory though I expected that same pattern when weaning down this time around from the 20mgs a day to 18mgs. But it wasn't anything like that for me...
The adjustment period lasted longer this time around, which really caught me off gaurd.

So by the end of day 3 I wasn't where I thought I would be, which left me a little dissapointed. I did have a bit more of my feelings back though from the 2mg drop, which was a bonus at least.

When day 4 rolled around though (yesterday), things still weren't that great for me and I remember having a pretty bad build up of stress (from all of the days), which led to me having a hoot of Marijuana and later relapsing on Nicotine. I also remember feeling like I couldn't relate to people beforehand, like even my family for example, and basically just feeling very out of place. This really irritated me. Than again, everything was seeming to irritate me at the time, which could have very well have been the Nicotine withdrawals.

I was feeling pretty depressed and lonely before the relapse as well.

It started to hit me later on though that I was trying to quit a few addictions all at the same time...

See since first giving up tobacco (at the very beginnig of this thread, right after my ******** experience), I have had a few back slides along the way with Nicotine. And yesterday (during day 4 of the wean), I cracked and offically started up on Nicotine again.

Before I relapsed on the Nicotine though, I had had a hoot of Marijuana (this was aprox. my first time in almost a week), which seemd to help for maybe the first ten minutes... But afterwards it only led to feelings of severe paranoia and unwanted thoughts (especially after the second hoot). This was a total turn off for me, and only seemed to make matters that much worse.
I have never been much of a fan of Marijuana to begin with, but I did feel the need to relax or escape/reward myself at the time of the occurance.

As soon as I got the Nicotine in me though, things started to get quite better from what I recall. I was of course burnt-out from the Marijuana at the time, which obviously sucked, but things did get better in a different aspect. I got my fix I guess you can say on the Nicotine side of things.

The depression and extreme lonliness seemd to slowly go away (especially today, when I continued on with the Nicotine and woke up not burnt-out or under the influence of Marijuana). And I was mainly just left with a chill here and there before I got my second half of my dose in me (9 and 9mgs).

I also remember my bones in my legs hurting for some reason on days 2-4.

After much consderation though I decided that it just wasn't the best thing for me to be giving up two of the most addictive, or hard to kick, substances at the exact same time.. And that I was really only making things harder on myself in the end by doing so.

So I decided to stay on the Nicotine for now and see if that helps. Which I am hoping it will. But obviously I have to see for myself right?
The stuff I am using now is just pure Nicotine though, and not in tobacco form at least. So that's a lot healthier than smoking at least.

Today though (day 5), has been the best day of them all. My energy level has seemed to return now that I am a little more than half way through my day. I don't feel super depressed anymore, and I don't feel like I have a big gaping hole inside of me that needs to be filled 24/7 anymore either (or at least not nearly as much).

I am very confused as to if this was because of the Nicotine withdrawals or the Methadone withdrawals, as I have read of all of the above symptoms occuring from Nicotine withdrawals alone and continuing on for weeks, sometimes months! But I'm guessing it was a little bit of everything.

I guess what I learned from this experience though and hope to remember is that, sometimes it's just better to slay one dragon at a time. And that realistically, we're only human, and there's really only so much a person can handle all at once.

So today, on day 5 (today), I seem to be fairly adjusted to my dose now that I am a little over half way through my day. I have been doing things all day and haven't been as bored. And as soon as I got my second half of my dose (the other 9mgs from my split), things just seemed to get better, Nicotine or no Nicotine.

Overall day 2-3 was the worst of the worst. And from there, day by day slowly started to get better and better in different aspects.

I am feeling pretty good about things ATM, or at least for today.
Just going through today without any Nicotine withdrawals has really opened my eyes up to how much they were affecting me and my recovery from Methadone over these last couple of weeks. I'm just hoping for the best really.

I have also learned that I have to accept where I am or what I am going through, and that doing so will make this process a whole lot easier in the end.

It can be hard to make the best of things when we are going through some sort of withdrawal, but I think we should in the very least try to.
In the end, it is what it is, you know? We are who we are. I think being able to accept that is what makes us, well, us.

I encourage everyone to do their best to stay positive through your own battles.

I just hope tomorrow (day 6 on 18mgs) is an even better day for me. But only time shall tell right?
Every day seems to be something different.

I do truly believe that the Nicotine withdrawal only made matters a lot worse for me in the end.
I should also note that I have never actually fully quittin Nicotine before in my lifetime.

If I had not burnt all of my bridges during my active addiction, maybe this would not be the case, and maybe I would not have felt so lonely at times. But hey, it is what it is right?

I just hope I am able to keep accepting things for what they are and moving forward.

Note to self: Marijuana is nasty.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink

Thanks for the update, JSN. It seems your dose is normalizing as more time passes. I can completely relate to the annoyance with others. I also *still* get very emotional or very analytical. This was more true during withdrawing methadone. Even at low doses (for me 20mg and lower). Each day was a battle of one thing, or another...and always a battle of not doing more methadone. It's deceptive! Methadone is arguably much stronger than heroin (depending on the dose). I love it because it kept me fixed from the worst kind of intravenous cravings and allowed me to instill normalcy back into my life without getting off. I quit the needle. I hated it for its awfully strong hold on me and because I couldn't get off often, I miss my selfish self getting off on opiates. But it is a battle, daily, every craving, I'm not willing to lose. The cliche, "Liquid handcuffs", suits methadone well.

I would advise not to quit more than one seriously addictive drug at a time. Because your body is already battling enough quitting one. The difficulty with opiates is a battle in and of itself...the most heavy, unyielding, and doom filled addiction your soul and body will probably ever fight. You can quit nicotine later Personally, I smoke cigarettes, not weed. I don't care for weed. I smoked one toke only about 4 times in 12 years. As a teen I smoked it socially. Not my niche. I've heard of it "helping" others with withdraw symptoms. Personally I don't know.

I'm a true believer in the fact that not shocking your system, body or soul is KEY in enabling the end of opiates/oxy forever. Combine that with Will (which I see you have) and you're golden. Strength can be conjured from others when we feel week is also why I've hung on here at this forum. When I lack strength, or feel I'm losing a "craving battle" I come here. I continue to fight. We aren't alone

Between -10mgs and 10 days OFF methadone, my bones, muscles and legs hurt mainly at night. I figured it was the methadone leaving my body...it probably was. I thrashed a little especially at night but not anywhere near as bad as I did attempting to quit IV heroin. Thrashing and other w/d's got easier as the days, then weeks went on. Currently I'm trying to create and learn how to deal with a new reality. As simplistic as that may sound, it's challenging. Because it is challenging, daily you get stronger.

Another bit of advice I really, truly feel helped me through w/d, detox and NOW, are supplements from a health food or vitamin store. They help your body adjust, your brain heal, and allow you to function as best you will. Amino acids (all), a multi, especially b vitamins (b6 & complex), vitamin c. Omg what a true helper in my fight to heal my brain and continue to allow for it to function as normal as possible!

I've been clean off methadone since 3/5/13 and strangely enough, stress, anxiety, annoyance with others are apart of life I haven't quite mastered as far as how to deal with them. "Part of life," is the key phrase I suppose. Each day is another day in the long term goal of dealing with a new normal.

What's you're dose at now? How are you feeling?

You're in my thoughts and wishes!
<3 Mia
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

My friend apologises that he hasen't been on here for a while. He's been dealing with a lot fo ****.

Thank you for your post though Malicious. It was really helpful.

So my friend seems to have adjusted to his dose of 18mgs a lot more. The first 5 days were the worst. More so of an annoyance than anything.

Days aren't easy all the time right now, and he's starting to just realise that he has to accept it as it is. It is what it is, you know? What can you do.

He also started to notice that he is able to feel all of the drugs side-effects way more now that he is on 18mgs of Methadone. Like when he smoked Weed he wouldn't be able to tolerate its side-effects, and it became completely not worth it and worse for his sobriety. I guess some people like it and some people don't. In my friends opinion, Weeds the worst feeling drug there is. It very quickly stops benefiting you. After day 1 to be exact LOL. At least that's how it id for my friend anyways. He chucked the rest of his Weed a while ago after realising that nothing was going to change with the drug.

Also for example, he got heavy into puffing on Nicotine from an e-cigarette. Back to his old chain smoking ritual that he got himself when he was using ("once an addict always an addict" right? Even with legal drugs my friends). A drug is a drug is a drug.

Well he can say with certainty that he doesn't think he's ever been that pissed off before LOL. Mainly because he used to be too numbed out to feel it all.

Every single thing annoyed him though, even while he was puffing on the damn thing!! It got crazy bad. It was just too damn short-acting! The sound of cars passing by even annoyed him!! He coudln't even play a video game because he'd get too damn annoyed when he lost and pissed off! Was crazy man.

So of course he has had a few more attemps at quitting Nicotine, but has recently gottten back into it, except this time is trying the NRT route because of its longer action of effects. Right now he's just trying the gum and is still adjusting to having a lower amount of Nicotine in his system at the moment. This kinda reminds me of Methadone compared to SAO.

The last time he tried to stop smoking cigarettes he didn't find it too hard, except for the crippling depression, the negative thought patterns that plagued him, and the crazy mood flucuations... He started to think of everything he didn't have, everything he had lost, everything he shouldn't be thinking of basically. Until finally he just caved, and when he caved the depression went away... which made him realise he was going through cigarette withdrawals!

The withdrawals from Nicotine are so hidden that it's hard to tell that they're actually there, you know? Like they're not full blown in your face, like cold-turkey Opiate withdrawals for example. And than that in itself can start to make you think that something is wrong with you or that you're still in Opiate withdrawal from the last decrease of Methadone for example. It's ********. But he agrees with what you said about quitting one thing at a time. He's just hoping the NRT will make it easier because of its longer actions of effects.

When he was chain vaping on his Nicotine filled e-cigarette, that's all he would do. And than for days he wouldn't go outside or do stuff, instead he would just chain smoke, feeling no pleasure from mthe e-cigarette because of his ramped up tolerance, well the while only feeling negative side-effects from it, constantly. My friend has an extremely addictive personality. This is one thing he has realised since coming back to earth. He used to think it was just a cliche or something. But after the Weed and the smokes, he realised how outta control he gets with things, n fast to!

Overall, it just did more bad than good trying to give up two things at once.

The first time he had given up puffing on his e-cigarette full-time was after that ******** trip. It wasn't really hard that time because the ******** had covered the Nicotine's withdrawal's for about the first 7 days. After this though, they slowly started to creep back into his life, and the same symptoms occured, only milder, which lead to a relapse a few days later.
He didn't actually put the two and two together though until after his various attempts at quitting that he had afterwards with the substance. So that's the deal with Nicotine. It's a very weird confusing sort of withdrawal.

My friedncan also relate to alot of what you are saying Malicious. My friend remembers sometimes in the mornings when he would wake up sick and would be waiting for his dose to kick in, his legs would keep kicking, and he always thought of this as they were trying to start up a fire.

In about 5 days my friend will be going down to 16mgs a day of Methadone from 18. He has been prescribed some Clonidine now to which he is going to try and save for only the first 4 days or so of each wean. He hasen't used any yet.

He realises that he may have to slay one dragon at a time. But that's okay. Right now he just wants to be living on his own endorphins again. Not some synthetic extrernal one's that burn a hole in your wallet, and don't fully satisfy you in one way or another.

It still blows his mind when he thinks back to how things were a month ago though, when he first made this thread. It seems like it's been sooo much longer, it's really weird. He can't even imagine what a full year of recovery would feel like!!

One thing he doesn't like is how slow time goes. He'll do soemthing, think its been quite a while, than look at the clock and realise that's it's only been maybe an hour at most. He hates clocks right now. Even hides them from himself sometimes.

Things are always changing though. Curve balls, unexpectations, etc..

Nobody said this was going to be easy though. He gets more now why they say "the longer you were using for, the harder it's going to be to quit".

Trying to stay positive though...

Hey, look at that, looks like it's time for his next Nic fix.

Peace.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

So my friend swicthed back to regular tobacco cigarettes yesterday. The Nicorette just doesn doesn't cut it, and the e-cigarettes are way too available and in your face (he uses it 24/7 uncontrollably). He's okay with the swicth right now though.

"One thing at a time".

He has also started to take a complete Amino Acid supplement daily. He's thinking he'll take it 3 times a day like the bottle says. It seems to help a bit to an extent.

He's also contemplating going on Clonidine. The Doc at the Clinic already prescribed him some, so he has some laying around but he hasen't taken any yet. He's never tried Clonidine so he doesn't know what to expect but he's heard good things for helping with Opiate withdrawals.

One of his friends who quit Methadone 4 months ago recommended that he go on the Clonidine now (daily) until he's off of the Methadone and feeling better. But he's still a bit unsure of what to do, because he's never really tried the stuff before, and he's not sure if using the Clonidine daily would make it less effective after a while or not?? :S
Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

So went down to 16mgs of Methadone yesterday. I also tried the Clonidine route yesterday for the first time as well. Needless to say, I absolutely hated it. Clonidine made me feel and act like a monster. Everything good was stripped away from me. I couldn't belive a blood pressure medication could do such a thing!!

I guess Clonidine just doesn't agree with my body.

Starting day 2 on 16mgs today though and hoping for the best.

Feeling a bit better right now that I'm not on Clonidine in some ways at least to. Got my feelings back, which the Clonidine seemed to take away.

Gonne keep this short and sweet today.
Wish me luck.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

Starting day 3 on the new dose (16mgs). Am finding this wean a tad harder than the last.

Yesterday(day 2) the first half of the day went well. I am not sure if this is because I still had some Clonidine in my system or not and my BP was lower than usual. Confusing.

The second half of the day turned to **** though. Got bored of everything. Was feeling depresed and my brain was anoying the **** outta me. Was pretty grumpy.

Went to sleep early to get past day 2 and had some messed up dreams and woke up sicker than usual (as to be expected).

Starting day 3 now. Feeling pretty anxious right now, but I also haven't ate yet.

Feeling like I have alot more of my emotions pouring outta me. Can be hard to deal with.

I find if I'm not doing anything that's when my addict starts to mess with me. Ater enduring his damn voice for hours of not doing anything this is what usually makes me feel on the verge of going insane!! Basically realising I have to moderate every day stuff better. Still learning really.

Had an odd craving here and there, depending what I'm around or reading on the internet.

Hoping today goes a lot better than yesterday.

I'm also thinking I should stay on this dose for an extra week this time around (so 3 weeks instead of 2). Because I'm feeling it more and feeling like I am starting to get annoyed with the up and down thing already, which can lead to drug cravings (any drug really)...
Want to be stable for an extra week an just enjoy stuff basically. Get a bit of a catch up.
Feel like if I keep going every two weeks I'm gonna shock my system too much. And this can lead to cravings for other drugs or a back slide from what I hear.

Currently smoking cigarettes, which barely do **** all (if anything).

Feeling lazy a lot to. But lazyiness only bring me down. Just hope I can stay strong.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

Just updating my progress:

So I've been on 16mgs now for 14 days. This drop is taking me a lot longer to adjust for some reason. I remember when I used to take my doses, within the hour I would be all up and ready n have that 2 hour glow going before the day turned to **** LOL (HATED the higher doses). Now on this dose it takes a good 2-3 hours after i dose until i can actualy start doing stuff for some reason. I'm not suree why, but the mornings always seem like the worst.

Also am on day 5 without a cigarette. First 3 days were a bit annoying but it's definitely doable if you want to. Basically having to teach myself how to live again. Sick of being stcuk inside on the computer. Want to go outside and move around n **** but I'm not used to that yet because of all the sitting around I did for the last 5-6 years during my addiction i guess.

Prolly gonna stay on this dose for another two weeks and let my body adjust before I drop again. Had a rough time going from 18-16mgs because it was more than 10% of a drop so I'm thinking I'll drop next time by 1mg instead. Obviously gonna take longer, but that's okay I guess. It is how it is.

Hoping things get better. Feeling weird today so far. Could be because I'm on day 5 without any Nicotine though, I'm not really sure. Nicotine withdrawals are a weird one...

Wish me luck. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What comfort meds help with methadone withdrawl? My husband is going through it now.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Methadone withdrawl.

Originally Posted by jkooba View Post
What comfort meds help with methadone withdrawl? My husband is going through it now.
OH BOY!! .....METHADONE WITHDRAWS, ARE. SO. BAD.!!! I'm knee deep!! I've been just "gutting it out" (literally). I'm at day 6...(I think) and it really duz get better!!! but, it lasts for a while!!!! I've been told weeks the first 3-4 days were the worst for me. Tell him stay strong for you and, HIMSELF. I'M BETTER AND, HE WILL BE TOO!!