Notices

Got off of Suboxone after being on it for 5 years

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got off of Suboxone after being on it for 5 years

I posted this in another thread but I wanted to make sure I shared this so maybe somebody else doesn't have to be on it as long as I did. You can get off this stuff, and it probably will be easier than you think.

I was on Suboxone for 5+ years. I jumped off cold turkey at 8mg after failing to taper and abusing my prescription. I only had slight W/D after the 3rd day. My hands and feet sweat pretty bad but that was about it. I felt pretty good besides the sweats. It wasn't until day 14 that I got really sick. I had about 10 days of hell. Cold sweats, crawling skin, hot/cold at the same time, extreme fatigue, restless legs, aches, and I was running a temperature.

My Blood Pressure was really high. Thankfully my Doctor called in a prescription of Catapris and it helped a lot. It's a blood pressure medication and I'd recommend people look into it if they are about to get off Opiates. Seroquel and Catapris allowed me to get 2-4 hours a sleep a night. Which made a big difference in my morale. I hardly slept or ate, I hardly moved except to use the bathroom, get water, and go to meetings. The more active you are the easier it is, but crawling out of bed can feel like the hardest thing you'll ever do.

It is totally doable. If I can get off it after being on it for 5 years, you can too. I have been off Suboxone for a month and I feel better everyday, still have very mild W/D, but its very manageable. Honestly I couldn't believe how much easier it was than I thought it would be. Its a mental battle, and its a roller coaster, but it's doable. I prayed to my higher power to give me the strength to get through it, and he did.

If anyone has a question shoot me a PM or post here.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am thinking of getting on it. Why were you on it for 5 years?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Wow. that's awesome. I'm impressed you jumped at 8mg....that's a pretty steep dosage. I too was on it for several years, of course I was abusing it....only difference is I didn't actually have a prescription because of insurance and such. I am now at 62 days clean of Suboxone, still get small waves of cravings here and there, sometimes each day...but nothing too bad, nothing that can't be shrugged off. I think it's crazy how you had several good days before your symptoms really seemed to kick in hard....maybe because of the dose you jumped at? As long as you're through it though. Good for you.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keltie View Post
I am thinking of getting on it. Why were you on it for 5 years?
I started taking opiates for energy, my anxiety, and the euphoria. After about maybe 2 years? I was on 10-20 Vicodin and other opiates a day just to feel normal, I tried to get off of them but always failed. I went to a outpatient Doctor who said he could prescribe me Suboxone and ease me off of opiates painlessly. So I went on Suboxone to get off of Vicodin. Anyways I tried to taper multiple times and failed so I just stayed on it. Last 2 years on Suboxone were miserable for me, I was always tired and depressed. I could take 24 mgs and it felt the same as taking 4 mgs.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stopdropburn View Post
Wow. that's awesome. I'm impressed you jumped at 8mg....that's a pretty steep dosage. I too was on it for several years, of course I was abusing it....only difference is I didn't actually have a prescription because of insurance and such. I am now at 62 days clean of Suboxone, still get small waves of cravings here and there, sometimes each day...but nothing too bad, nothing that can't be shrugged off. I think it's crazy how you had several good days before your symptoms really seemed to kick in hard....maybe because of the dose you jumped at? As long as you're through it though. Good for you.
Yeah I jumped at 8mgs because I couldn't get myself down to a lower dose, I had no self control, and it was always in my head that if I took less I would feel worse and that kind of thinking meant that I always felt worse. I abused Suboxone to no end, I snorted it and got hooked snorting it a 2-4 times a day. I don't know how I broke that habit but I did. I snorted it a few times a week for a couple years. Eventually towards the end snorting it stopped working too. I did a lot of damage to my septum, and the burn was only bearable because I knew it would make me feel better, if only just.

I went to Detox/Rehab expecting to be extremely ill. After 3-4 days I was waiting for it to hit me. My hands and feet constantly poured sweat during the day and that was very uncomfortable but all things considered it was easy. Day after day passed and nothing serious, I then thought "Well I guess I'm lucky and I won't have a serious W/D". I was discharged after 11 days. Day 12 and 13 were good, I still had the sweats but that was it. I was very active both days. Day 14 came and I woke up with zero energy. The next 10 days were absolute hell. At times I could manage, other times I thought if I feel like this for 1 more minute I am going to go use. Praying to my higher power and going to intensive outpatient was a big part in me getting through it, no matter how bad I felt I always went and it helped so much. If I hadn't had my higher power and my intensive outpatient group I don't know if I would have gotten through it.

It's just a mental battle, I used to look up horror stories about Suboxone and that always consumed my mind when I tried to get off Suboxone. I stopped doing that, I said to myself whatever happens will happen, I have to get through this. I went to Detox with an open mind and I wasn't scared, and I think that was important for me.

I think the fact that I was on Suboxone for 5 years at a high dose led to my very unusual W/D. I've never heard of anyone getting really sick after 2 weeks off of it. Like I said, I still have mild W/D, and I'm sure I will for a long time due to my circumstances. The hardest part is not having any energy, but if I am focused I am not thinking about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Well like I said.....I'm 62 days in, I still experience fatigue and low energy daily, still get some mild cravings, still have depression and some anxiety....it's a long process, but it's totally beatable. You just have to stay in that positive frame of mind. It takes months...I'm learning....to get through it. But it doesn't get worse, only better or the same.....the way you live your life, what you eat and drink, how you sleep, what you take, activity, stress and attitude.....everything plays a factor in it. Just don't let the energy and blues take you off track....a lot of people I've noticed do nothing good for their health, and then expect to suddenly feel like a million bucks after a few weeks.....just not going to happen, gotta take care of yourself and nurse your body back to what it was long ago. But it can be done. You're on a good run, stick with it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stopdropburn View Post
Well like I said.....I'm 62 days in, I still experience fatigue and low energy daily, still get some mild cravings, still have depression and some anxiety....it's a long process, but it's totally beatable. You just have to stay in that positive frame of mind. It takes months...I'm learning....to get through it. But it doesn't get worse, only better or the same.....the way you live your life, what you eat and drink, how you sleep, what you take, activity, stress and attitude.....everything plays a factor in it. Just don't let the energy and blues take you off track....a lot of people I've noticed do nothing good for their health, and then expect to suddenly feel like a million bucks after a few weeks.....just not going to happen, gotta take care of yourself and nurse your body back to what it was long ago. But it can be done. You're on a good run, stick with it.
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. Also nice job on your 2 months!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dispatches: I just wanted to say congrats to you in getting off the suboxone. It's quite inspirational to be honest. I've been on the sub for roughly 4 years, too long. I am under a doctor's care and have been the entire time yet I feel it's still too long that I've been on it yet that's all on me and the time never seemed 'right' to get off of it. Last fall I went cold turkey after being on 4 mg a day b/c I was scheduled for surgery. Some doctors informed me that I would still be able to receive nesseccary pain relief even if I stayed on a low dose of the sub yet others felt that I needed to be off of it and cleared from my system. I felt better to be safe then sorry so I jumped. Sure enough after roughly 3 days it hit and I was not mentally or emtionally prepared to jump, but felt pressure too so I did. It was rough no question. I am back on 2 mg a day and have been for a while now. Sooner or later I must find the right time and get off of this and that is what I would really want. I wanted to say job well done to you and best of luck going forward! You show that it is possible.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dispatches....thanks for shareing your progress ...well done...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JT1477...Welcome....

I sure hope you will find a solution soon...:
I have no expereince to share on your situation.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This gives me so much hope, but it's scary, too.

Hello,
I was addicted to heroin and have been on Suboxone now for nearly two and a half years. I used to be afraid to quit it but now I want off more than ever. Ive weaned myself down from 3 a day to now only a half tab a day. After my finals this week, I want to do this. Should I just stop or try quarters? I desperately want to be off by July so that when I move and transfer, I can move on with my life. What helped you when you would feel withdrawal symptoms? I'm contacting my doctor to get his opinion but I feel as though I want to do this now; just stop taking it. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you can taper/wean down I would do that, I couldn't but I know many people do. What helped me when I was in withdrawal was firstly my support group. I had lots of meetings and programs to attend. I also did my best to focus on something to keep my mind occupied as much as possible. If you are only thinking about how you are feeling it is amplified, at least it was for me. I never forgot how bad my life had been on Opiates. I've felt like **** for far too long and I can't live like this anymore, I have to do this. Once I had some clean time going back was unthinkable, not that I didn't think of it but I knew that getting clean was the only way to move on with my life. That's just how it was for me tho, I would talk to you Doctor. Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad to know you are seeing your doctor....Welcome...

Planning for a drug free new life....awesome...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My son has been on suboxone for 2 years. He had surgery, had to go off suboxone for a short time and now back on 8m strips 3 x a day. I'm heart broken with everyone's pain here. He has the same. If anyone could share how to get of suboxone, I would so appreciate it. How do you get off this?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just want to help my son. He has been on suboxone 2 yrs. 8m 3 x a day. How can you get off of it? Everything I see makes me cry. And I see what has happened to him,his pain as he doesn't have the life he wants. What can I do too help him? thanks everyone, just a mom that loves her son. My love to all of you here and God bless always.

Last edited by kahleen; 05-06-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

may I ask please how does my son get to a drug free life? where can I go to help him? A clinic? what kind of doctor could we look for? your words will help any knowledge appreciated. Suboxone is in a league of it own. my blessings to all, Kahleen
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

kahleen...Welcome...

I have no experience with your situation....and sorry to know it has happened.
We are not allowed to give medical advice and that includes dosages.

Always best to check with a doctor...just to be safe about de toxing.
All my best to both of you...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

soboxone

Hi all, just joined.
I have to say the best to all of you here.
I have been on suboxone almost 5 years have been trying to taper down myself & it is hard,the most suboxone I was ever on at one time was 8 milligrams a day & right now I am down to 1 to 1 and a half milligrams a day.
I don't think it matters what dose your coming off of It's pain in the butt.

A lot of doctors are not out there to help you get off suboxone,because I ask my doctor I wanted to get off and ask me why?

I think personally myself suboxone does more harm than good in your body 1 thing for me my sex life went to hell & my wife was think I was having affair with someone else because I wasn't given her any love,but sex life is coming back slowly as I lower my dose.

It is true when you start lowering your dose will not feel the affect of that for 3 days so you have to watch your not lowering your does too fast.

Just coming off 2 milligrams a day down to 1 & this morning hit me like a ton of bricks, just now just had to take another half a milligram to feel normal,so that would make it a milligram and a half for me today.

Suboxone did save my life & marriage but there has to be a ending point at sometime.

I wish you all the best with your suboxone addiction.

And pray to the Lord for his help to free of this once and for all hopefully before Christmas for me.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
On The Bus

I too have been on this suboxone for about five years, 4mg per day. Tried once to go down to 2mg., freaked the ef out and couldnt do it. Man, it is so hard to get off this stuff, for me.

I dont want to be on this stuff anymore but I so loathe being sick and going through the withdrawals, especially, NOT SLEEPING. I go mentally crazy when I dont get proper rest, just saying.

God help us all. Peace.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Kahleen!!!

Hi every one, good to hear that everyone is fighting the good fight...
Kahleen, if the suboxone is working and keeping your son off heroin or oxy's, why not stay on it. I have been a heroin addict for 16+ years. I have been on 32mg, yes 32mg (I know all about the ceiling folks..ok) for 2 years and I'm only thinking now to come down to a managable dose...ie. 8-16mg.
The higher the dose, the harder it is to knock it off the receptors with opiates. This is a MIRACLE drug...take full advantage of it!!! Tell your son that he has to take NO notice of you, his family and friends...this is you son's addiction and he should be managing it. Tell him that if he has to be on it for 10 years...then so be it.
Mums, dads, family and friends...get over the fact that your kid/friend is an addict...it is their addiction, when we choose to get on Suboxone...it is a miracle...let us manage it...

Kahleen, I know it's hard. I have watch my mum and dad...and everyone else, God bless you, may you have heaps of strength and peace...your son will be fine...he may have to stay on it for a while...I'm in Australia, we stay on it for how ever how long you need to be on it for...Bless you and your son...