Notices

Is Suboxone more addicting than Heroin??

Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Icanbeatthis

Is Suboxone more addicting than Heroin??

I was told recently after being on Suboxone almost 3 years that it's more addicting and harder to wean off of than heroin or pain meds...???
Old 01-23-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a difference from being addicted to a substance/medication and being physically dependent on a substance/ medication. There is an endless list of medications that your body becomes physically dependent to and therefore when it is time to eliminate that medication you must slowly taper yourself off of the medicine until you are completely off the medication. The same is true for Suboxone.

To start- someone was truly a herion addict when prescribed Suboxone then the medicine does not get them high. If the person was not a heroin addict then that person could get high. For this reply I am going to assume that the person was a proper canidate for Suboxone and was taking it properly, under a doctor's care, attending regular substance abuse sessions, and following a recovery plan that he or she put into place. When the person wants to come off of Suboxone a taper will be put into place and therefore the withdrawal symptoms will be minimal. Many will claim that this is not the case, but a very very VERY slow taper over months down to the smallest amount possible in the end will make it go smooth and painless. Going to counseling, working out, eating well, and filling your life with positive people and activities that you enjoy will also put you in a better mind set and will make the taper not uncomfortable at all.

When it comes to addiction the smallest discomfort becomes a huge thing. Every season we get colds, fevers, head aches, the flu, etc. and we deal with it and that is that. Why should this situation be any different? If you do not feel well at any point then treat it as you would treat any other type of ailment.

Suboxone is not for everyone, that is okay. Methadone is not for everyone, that is okay. Cold turkey is not for everyone, that is okay. Recovery is not one size fits all. All you can do is thoroughly do your research, be diligent, weigh the pros and cons, and make the decision that is right for YOU.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Each opiate has its own brand of withdrawal symptoms. ...but much of each one depends on time factors as well as mental and physical factors.

1. How long one has been on the drug.
2. How old the person is.
3. How much has been taken.
4. Emotional stability
5. Physical condition
6. Education and support during usage and detox.

Buprenorphine, if prescribed at doses under 2mgs for less than a year, can be easily gotten off of. However, risk of worse wd symptoms happens when higher doses are taken. Each individual Is different, younger people tend to fare better, also those in very good physical condition that work out with some regularity produce their own endorphins faster...that is a big step towards brain healing.

Your brain does not begin to heal from opiates until they are no longer present in your system., however mental clarity gets better the closer one gets to abstinence.

Bupe can be very hard to detox in a medical setting because the orIginal manufacturer intended it to be used for short detox off Short acting opiates, SAOs. Bupe, like Methadone, is a long acting opiate LAO. This means the half life is longer so it covers a longer period of time before wds start. SAO detox symptoms start 8-12 hours after last dose. LAO detox symptoms start 36-72 hours after last dose depending on the amount of "stack" one has in their body.

Detoxers report that bupe has more mental issue than physical and that it drags out longer. Many report serious depression worse than what they had experienced with heroin or methadone.

So...it does depend on quite a few factors....bupe needs to be tapered down to LESS than one quarter of a milligram, .25 or less...over a period of 3-8 months depending on starting dose. It is not something that takes less than 3 months. Many sub Drs have no clue how long or how low a client should take or be before they stop. That was not a part of the 8 hour training. Many think a taper of a few weeks to 2mgs is all a person needs. That is so far from the truth but once again, the original manufacturer did not teach Drs how to get people off a drug that is now being marketed for maintenance .
Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was started on it to get me off tramadol (which I was prescribed for neck surgery and not abusing). It was tapered down so very slowly as the above describes. I did have withdrawals when I finally stopped but nothing like tramadol ones .
I don't understand why a Dr would prescribe it for three years without a taper plan.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's different but I would choose withdrawal from Suboxone.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
I was started on it to get me off tramadol (which I was prescribed for neck surgery and not abusing). It was tapered down so very slowly as the above describes. I did have withdrawals when I finally stopped but nothing like tramadol ones .
You had withdrawals off Tramadols? That is discouraging because my girlfriend has been prescribed them for years from pain management. I assumed that she wouldn't have withdrawals from them if/when she tries to get off.