Notices

Got off of Suboxone after being on it for 5 years

Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Kahleen, your son will be fine. All the love and peace to you...You're a good mum. Bless you!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Have to say I didn't read each reply in this thread but skimmed a few. My apologies for duplication of info.

I"m a 56yo male who has been on and off opiates for 10 years or so. Previous to my current withdrawl, and attempt to rid my body, mind and soul of opiates, I had been on suboxone for about 3 years. HUGE mistake. It did what the percocets did for me (without the very brief euphoria) and let me function somewhat normally and also killed any craving for perks, or the like. Never did much drugs in the last 10 years except perc's.

In July 2012 I decided to quit the suboxone. I was told the withdrawl symptoms are much easier than opiates, heroin, etc. BIG MISTAKE. I had cut back one night on my dosage and went thru some sweats/chills but nothing too bad. So I thought, "Hey, if this is the worst it gets, I can do this". So I went for it. And it was pure hell for me. Around day 3, 4 and 5 it hit me and hit me hard for the first 2 weeks. I had to take off work for a full week. So I was absolutely miserable. Chills/sweats, diarhhea somewhat but manageable. By far the worst part was 1. Restless legs. 2. Insomnia 3. Zero energy - everything was an effort. Even brushing my teeth. On top of that, I was doing this during the worst heat wave of the summer. We don't have AC in our house (live in CT) but use fans and have a pool in back yard. Unfortunately, the nights were still hot even with the fans. Days were unbearable. Even the pool made me miserable as it gave me the chills when I came out of the water. Even in 98 degree heat wave. It was around week 4 that I was still not feeling well but had gone back to work by day 11 of my recovery. I couldnt' function at all. Prayed for lunch break and then for quitting time and basically could barely function at work. Stared at a computer all day and surfed the web but couldn't bear to even focus on work.
I was praying the entire time for week 5 to be much better as I had scheduled a trip to Calif to see my son. We went to San Fran and I was still miserable but tried to hide it and bare with it for the sake of my family who wanted to enjoy San Fran. Not a very pleasant trip for me.

It never really got better until I forced myself to get back to the gym. First week or two was tough but felt better the more I got more active. By maybe week 10 or 12 I was doing much better although energy was still a problem.

Bottom line, it is doable but have a taper plan and have your wife, husband, bf, gf, best friend whatever help you taper by controlling how much is given to you each day and each part of each day if that's even possible. I just didn't have the will power to do that as I'd take 4 mg, feel good and take more. Stupid!!!!!!!

I can't tell you enough how important it is to get to the gym or start some type of exercise to get your brain generating the "feel good" chemicals it used to normally create but stopped since you were getting them synthetically, thus, turning the brain off to creating those good brain chemicals, endorphins and the like.

I was feeling so well that I thought I could handle a couple perc's and stop and maybe enjoy some every now and then if I took them only on weekends. WRONG!!!! I quickly went to 3 a week to about 15 -20 a week of 15mg perc's. So I am going thru withdrawl again. Not using the suboxone during this. No thanks. Back to work today although not feeling well...and...dealing with a damn kidney stone at the same time. I'm into day 6. I"m done with this. Too old for this nonsense and want to be drug free from here out.

With all this said, given death from an overdose or suboxone for maintenance, I'd without a doubt choose the suboxone. It does drown out the urge and masks any euphoria from other drugs. It however, can be abused by taking more than you are prescribed. Just know that it was much more intense and longer withdrawl then regular perc's for me. Good for maintenance if you can't break the habit, but have a TAPER PLAN please!
And with that said, no one of us is alike and we eventually have to choose our own path. Just read what others say, have a good plan in place to quit when you are ready, and get after it. Good luck
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is what I was trying to find information on, long-term Suboxone withdrawal. I was thinking it would take a year, but I think I can manage 12 weeks. I've been on it for 5 years though, so it might be a bit longer. I've been terrified by all these people saying that PAWS lasts for the rest of your life and you'll never be happy or have energy again.

Did you ever try drinking coffee for the energy problems? For some reason that REALLY seemed to help me when I was coming off heroin and benzos, even though I don't drink caffeine. Only after you're through the worst of it though, when the only problem left is energy.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Its been 3 weeks for me after being on subs for 10 years. Being happy isnt really a problem and I am sleeping well. For the most part I feel fine, but the energy is still lacking. Thing about coffee is that I LOVED it when on subs or benzos, but now it just makes me agitated and gives me RLS even though that was over after a few days.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Minkinovich View Post
Its been 3 weeks for me after being on subs for 10 years. Being happy isnt really a problem and I am sleeping well. For the most part I feel fine, but the energy is still lacking. Thing about coffee is that I LOVED it when on subs or benzos, but now it just makes me agitated and gives me RLS even though that was over after a few days.
Wow, TEN YEARS and you're already feeling pretty good after 3 weeks?! That gives me a lot of hope. I was thinking I'd be out for a year or so. Thanks a bunch Minkin!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah dude. No problem. I was really stressing from reading all these posts but it is the truth. I feel pretty decent. To be honest if I felt better Id feel amazing which is how I hope to feel in a few weeks. I think it was pretty important that I tapered myself off the subs. In a span of 4 months I went from 1/2 a sub a day, to 1/12 a sub a day. The last month I felt pretty crappy but if that helped the REAL withdrawal then it was all worth it. Here are some things I do in hope that they may help you somehow:

1) Ive been eating pretty well. I read that eating right will really help.
2) Ive been sleeping 7-8 hours a day.
3) Ive consumed almost ZERO alcohol since I got off, and the few times I did drink, I would feel HORRIBLE the next day.
4) Ive been going to the gym for pretty hardcore workouts 3-5 times a week starting in week 2. Some days I feel like a wet rag so I end up resting after every exercise, but getting in a good sweat, added to the satisfaction of doing something healthy along with not looking sickly, really helps get those endorphins going.
5) Ive been eating vitamins every day. Fiber, multi, biotin (for hair and skin), and a workout supplement. I am about to order L-Tyrosine and just bought some fish oil. All of these have been recommended to get your brain chemistry, and body in general, feeling good.
6) Ive been working, and the days that I do nothing are probably the worst. Fill your life with something... hobby, work, gym, anything.
7) Ive signed up for a bunch of mud races (I did 2 Tough Mudders last year) in the summer so I have something to work toward, and something to look forward to.

Just some ideas. Remember, most importantly, everyone feels different.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah working out is probably THE only thing that you can really do that helps, huh? I've dusted off the bench, dug out the freeweights, resistance bands, and curlbar in preparation.

But thanks again, that really eases my mind. I can definitely do 3-4 weeks.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am over 10 months clean from suboxone, but I still have days when I am very tire with a head ache. But, I have gotten better. When will I be 100%?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

John idk...but I think with life we are never 100%. Especially as we get older we will have some ache and pains get tired easy no? But I'm so happy to see you!!you had me worried! You used to be on our "how was your day" thread...then suddenly you weren't there anymore! Congrats on your 8 months! That's awesome! Are you still going to meetings? Come back to our thread! E erroneous will be happy to see you I'm sure!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, I am working step study with sponcer. Have na home group etc.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Y'all...I am an Australian and so blessed that we have a Medicare system that fully supports addicts who wants to quite the gear. I have been on Suboxone (@ AU$5 per day) for over four years now, with two relapses on to heroin...one of which I am in as I type...(about 4 days...have already spent over 1,600 bucks ).

I have been on doses that are way over the ceiling effect of Suboxone and I leveled out on it (ie. don't have that high feeling from it...) about a year and a half ago and I am on a split dose (I know...you don't have to go there regarding split doses).

For 'ME'...I believe I will be on Suboxone for many years. I am 45 years old and used heroin for a little over 20 years. I would love to be off Suboxone and trust that my days of using opiates are over...but it just ain't...lol...and you know what??? I am over stressing about it. I am furious that I am on the gear right now - today, but I know I will be back on Suboxone in around 4-5 days because I have to go to the pharmacy and get dosed and get my takeaways...My pharmacist insists on seeing the films go into my mouth, so I will be in W/D off my little binge by then, and ready to continue on my path of happiness and a life that I really love...

I stuff up...I am human, but I am also determined to get the support I need from Suboxone and my loved ones; Doctors and whoever else who wants to jump on this band wagon of mine... Don't punish yourselves...find what is right for YOU and appreciate others and their stories...but this is your journey; when you fall, just brush off your knee's and keep going.

I really hope that the governments around the world can see that Suboxone is an amazing life support for you all and lowers the pricing for you...

I hope you all keep on fighting the good fight and be safe and always find your way back to your path...
Old 05-14-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My story with suboxone.....

Hey Everyone, I am celebrating 17 months today! A back injury in 2000, then loss of both my parents in 2001 started me on the path to abusing opiates and then ambien. Retired in 2008 and had too much idle time which led to more usage, isolation, then depression. At bottom on 12/14/15 I checked into Detox.....4 days later out and on Suboxone. Went through IOP and continuing care.......I attend about 2 AA meeting per week. I was on about 5mg of Sub for a few months....then at my insistence started to decrease my dosage (Doctor would have kept me on forever). I went to 2mg for a few months, then 1mg (would cut film strip in 1/2).

I told the doctor that honestly did not need it, but that I did feel better physically taking it. We debated "quality of life" vs "being clean/off" suboxone. Funny, because I was told at an NA meeting one time that people did NOT consider you clean if you were taking SUB......my opinion is DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!! The people who tell you that you are not clean, are the same people who are addicted to drinking coffee endlessly and having cigarettes after every meeting (both mood altering substances).

Someone wrote earlier that the 1/2 life (how long suboxone stays in your system is 36 hours). Getting off wasn't difficult for me, but physcologically was harder than physically. As an addict, I was conditioned to take SOMETHING/ANYTHING! FWIW, started chewing gum and it distracted my mind.

At this point, I am volunteering at a local detox unit, playing golf and life is good again. I hope I never relapse, but know that life will present challenges in the future, so I try to stay connected to a sober network of people to be my support when I need them.

Any questions...just ask!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mink, great message on staying busy....bordem is a major reason some use.

Question, noticed you said you drink a little now and then. Alcohol was never my issue, but don't think I would want to risk the chance that someday it could become another addiction for me. As they say, I play the tape all the way to the end......it scares me enough that I don't drink or use opiates anymore.

BTW, those gym workouts are great physically and mentally.....vitmains big plus also.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Lastcall....great advice....always taper....your chance of success is much better this way!

FWIW, when I got out of a 4 day detox, my wife thought that was all I needed was to get clean. My Counselor, mad it clear that aftercare and a clear plan to TAPER, not just come out of detox and say you will be fine (you won't be!). Subxone was a life save for me.....after using about 300mg about 30 oxy/percocets a day) I surprisingly had little withdrawl symptons in the detox unit. I was thrilled because I had quit once cold turkey about 4 years in.....but 4 months later and a golf trip to Florida thought I would take some Perc in case my back hurt....that was the end of that!!!

What I have learned about the disease of addiction is that "I don't got this".....what scares me now, is when I see people with FIFTEEN YEARS sober back in the rooms......relapse is waiting for all of us....so don't think "I got this, or I can handle one"....100% abstinence is my plan.