Notices

Quit Cold Turkey!!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit Cold Turkey!!

This is my first post......I read a few before I decided to actually make a post in hope that it'll give someone else strength to get off this horrible crap!!
I first started out taking loratabs and percs, then moved to roxys, then to oxy (I never made it to heroin though!), I was on some type of pain pill every day all day long for about 1 and 1/2 yrs. And I was on methadone for almost 4 yrs (I was a couple weeks away). My dose got all the way to 160mgs, and I cut down to 50mgs in about 2 yrs. I don't currently have a job so I decided its time to get off this crap and move on with my life. Before the pills and methadone I had sooooo much going for me, amazing credit, a good job. But then the pills became more important.

ANYWAYS.....That was 3 weeks ago today..... And I threw all my left over doses down the drain so I couldn't go back if I wanted to!!

The first 2 or 3 days were the worst!! The rest of the first week the withdrawals were still there just not as strong. The 2nd week I felt weak, still had the sweats, achy back, and achy legs. And every time I would try to go to bed I would get that crazy feeling in my legs, and all that would make it go away was kicking my legs in bed. In the begining of the 2nd week I also noticed my stomach had a hard time digesting food right, so I'd get a gas bubble for like 30 mins after I'd eat. But this 3rd week I got A LOT better! I still get a sore back and legs but thats when I go out and do stuff or if I lay in one spot for so long. I have felt about 85% back to normal this week, which I LOVE!!! The only symptom I still have and always had during all this is the sneezing!! And its always 3 sneezes in a row lol. They're not as often but they're still there.

I had tried getting off cold turkey before but I didn't know then the things I knew this time, because this time I researched it before I took my last dose.

What I did this time: I went to the store on the last day I took a dose and bought stuff I would need for the next couple weeks. Drinking lots of gatorade helped SOOOO much it made a lot of the withdrawals not as strong like before. I also got the vitamins I had seen quite a few people suggest, I got the 3 in 1 vitamins (Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc) and some B-6 vitamins. I took 3 of the 3-1 pills and 1 of the b-6 pills before I ate breakfast. They say you should take them before bed too but I never did, I hate taking any type pills, especially these big ones. I think these vitamins helped me through it faster because it helps speed up your metabolism to help the methadone out faster (so I read). I also made sure I ate every time I was hungry I noticed my withdrawals weren't as bad if I kept a full stomach. And whenever I just really felt like crap I would go take a bath or a shower. Every time I showered I would feel like a normal person again for a little while! So if you can live in the shower or bath tub lol seriously!! A friend of mine also suggested eating chocolate (I just bought a Hershey's big chocolate bar) because it releases some of the same endorphins that the pain meds do. I also tried to keep my mind off of how I felt by watching tv shows on dvd or movies. And when that wasn't helping I'd go outside, the sun and fresh air helps!! I'm also a smoker and I read everywhere that you shouldn't smoke while getting off methadone, but I felt sometimes it helped my withdrawals, especially when I couldn't sleep. The first 2 weeks though cigarettes tasted like crap like I was smoking a year old cigarette. But the starting of the 3rd week it went back to normal. I also used to be a HEAVY pepsi drinker, and since I stopped taking methadone I've only had one soda (which I didn't like, it was to bubbly lol) and I've also lost 8 lbs.

At my week and a half I almost went back to my clinic, but I read online that it should take 3-5 weeks before you start to feel normal again, and knowing that I was almost (at the least) half way through all this crap made me feel better!!! But since I hadn't found this forum until today, I posted a lot of what I was going through on my Facebook, so help and support and encouragement helped a lot too!!!

So thats my story, for the most part of what I can remember of it and what it was like going through the withdrawals.
But I do have one question! I bought a couple drug tests online and I took one today and it still says I've positive for methadone. How long should it be before I should get a negative result?!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no clue about the drug testing kit.

Welcome to SR....and best wishes as you continue to move forward
Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Welcome UTC! I am also at 3 weeks from a staggered Suboxone/Methadone use. Super glad to hear you're off and doing well though. As for Methadone having it's uber-long half-life, I've read reports of people's tests showing positive after 1, sometimes even 2 weeks. But there are all kinds of variables like frequency of use, quantity, length of use, body type and weight.....so there's no real answer. But it's great that you've come so far, that's really awesome. Best of luck!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is an inspiring story <3 I'm glad you decided to post! Congratulations & well done! I can't BELIEVE you got away w/o any violent vomiting! Lucky duck! This is wht I was expecting my story to be you are SO SO BLESSED <3
Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the vitamins and drinking LOTS of gatorade helped!! And I would get very nauseous every morning for the first 2 weeks, and digesting food was hard in the 2nd week. Yours might be harder because you stopped at a higher dose.

One thing helped when I would start feeling like I couldn't do it anymore is just think of how NORMAL your gonna feel when all this horrible stuff is over. And every day should start getting better and easier!! Having a loved one and supportive family or friends helps too.