SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   Quitting Methadone cold turkey @ 100 mg's (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/239987-quitting-methadone-cold-turkey-100-mgs.html)

WIworrier 11-01-2011 06:08 PM

Quitting Methadone cold turkey @ 100 mg's

My AS cannot afford his MMT program; so stopped on his own...he was on MMT for about 10 weeks or so..and started at 30mg and now is at 100mg...
his last dose was Sunday morning...It is Tuesday night...I thought he would be "dying" ....but...nope ...he is eating ,drinking,etc...c'mon...what's up?
I do know he smokes pot still...but that can take away all the WD symptoms???
Something I should be looking for??...I know his counselor called today from the clinic...
I refuse to help him pay for this ...and he is in debt up to his eyeballs....
Do you think he switched to pills?
What's up?

Dee74 11-01-2011 06:20 PM

maybe others will have ideas, but I have no experience with methadone and really have no idea whats up WIworrier.

Does your son live with you?

D

Kahlia 11-02-2011 12:41 AM

I was on Methadone for my back and had a prescrition for it. You should be looking for signs like sweating, nausea, vomiting etc. Something is up. When I came off Methadone, I was taken off by my dr's and still had some W/D's. I don't get why he is breezing through unless he is on something else??????

Blessings,
Kahlia

snowman76 12-08-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by WIworrier (Post 3156063)
My AS cannot afford his MMT program; so stopped on his own...he was on MMT for about 10 weeks or so..and started at 30mg and now is at 100mg...
his last dose was Sunday morning...It is Tuesday night...I thought he would be "dying" ....but...nope ...he is eating ,drinking,etc...c'mon...what's up?
Something I should be looking for??...I know his counselor called today from the clinic...
What's up?

Something is definitely up. No way you can go from 100mg to 0 and have zero effects. Course I'm not a doctor but I do my past experience with Methadone and I would have had to be admitted if just "stopped" taking it. And my dose was 60mg a day (20mg every 8 hrs).

josaphene 12-16-2011 08:53 AM

I have just done a 50 hour methadone detox to go on to subutex (so i can do a quicker detox) and i have to say that i was ill i was aching and cold/sweating off my food not in good spirits really not sleeping , very irritable emotional sneezing and yawning where my eyes were watering and i was only on 18mls of methadone so he has got to be taking something Valium maybe?? as i do know people who have done a heroin or methadone detox and taken Valium i would ask him.

irab 12-20-2011 05:46 PM

Something is very odd. If he was on methadone 100mg and quit cold turkey - he would experience severe opiate type withdrawal symptoms, sweating, nausea, vomiting, muscle aches, chills etc.
If he isn't - he is likely using some other opiate.
Opiates are very hard to kick !

Dr Ira B ( MD)

orcoast 12-24-2011 08:57 AM

i used to take 120-150 mg a day for pain management. but I abused it.
anyways,,,,,
yea, hes taking something else, or noone else has mentioned,
he may not be in w/d YET.
methadone builds in your system, and if you take a high dose, yes 100mg is high,
it can actually take FOUR TO FIVE DAYS to get into actual withdrawl symptoms.
Just wanted to add that.
I could usually 'handle' bout 3 days before FREAKING out

Just my two cents
good luck
Merry CHristmas!

Britt26 12-30-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by WIworrier (Post 3156063)
What's up?

He may not necessarily be taking something else. I was on methadone for almost 2 years. I started at 30mg and went up to 65. I had to quit cold turkey because I could not longer afford to pay the clinic either. The first 3 -4 days I was okay. I thought I could manage. But by the 5th night I was freaking out. I was tired and so achy. I could barely lift a 6 pack of sodas. I went a full 9 days without anything and by the 6th or 7th day I was hearing things... The last night before I got on suboxone I was hallucinating. If he's on 100mg a day I would def check into some other form of treatment. I was able to receive suboxone free for a year from the pharmaceutical company. They have an indigent program so that may be something to look into. Now finding a doctor and paying for that may be difficult... however cold turkey on 100mg of methadone, from my experience, is not safe.

SentencedToLife 01-07-2012 08:40 AM

That brothas on SOMETHING else. Well, lemmie say this, I have gone to the methadone clinic on and off for ~8 years. The highest I ever went was 80mg. I've been going currently for around a year. Slowly detoxed down to 6mg. SIX, and I'm having fits with it. If you see me feeling good I'm on something. period, end of story.

SentencedToLife 01-07-2012 08:46 AM

Oh yeah, I've had good withdraws off it and horrible ones. But everyone I've ever know has had one symptom thats uncontrollable and a dead give away of abstinance... sneezing