Notices

Hopefully getting on sub, looking for advice

Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopefully getting on sub, looking for advice

I am entering an IOP that uses suboxone as a treatment method. After completion of this program I plan on finding a suboxone doctor. To those of you who have experience with suboxone and these doctors, I am wondering if how willing they would be to prescribe other medications like benzodiazepines like valium and what not. I suffer from really bad anxiety and it is a huge trigger for me. I have heard on other forums that some of these doctors will prescribe other meds, for someone who could legitimately benefit from something like valium, is this something a sub doctor would do. Also, I have never had any substance abuse issues with anything other then opiates, I feel I could handle a long acting benzo like valium, and use it responsibly since it will help me a lot. Please anyone chime in here and provide advice, and your experiences with these doctors. Also anyones opinions on my course of action, with experience with anxiety and these types of meds. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR
I really think you'll need to discuss this with your dispensing Dr.

D
Old 10-21-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A little history on myself...i started taking perc's two years ago for a medical reason. Gradually my tolerance grew, and i took more and more, eventually leading to having to buy it (any oxy) off the street so to speak just to feel normal and to not get sick with withdraws. I was broke in every sense of the word. I also could not go through the withdraws, i had tried in the past and just couldnt do it, and didnt have the option to take time off of work or even go into a rehab.
I started hearing about Suboxone. And started researching it. I was far behind in rent and bills...i had to stop the perc's and oxy's i had no choice!!!! I needed help and i needed help FAAST!
A week and a day ago i decided to get on suboxone. It was my only way out. However i had been reading for months about the warnings, and how people wish they had never tried it, and you can and will get addicted and can and will go thru horrible withdraws when stopping.
I was disappointed in my searches on the internet that no one out there had any info on using it just for detox. If there was info it was very minimal and almost secretive.
So this is my story....i was mentally ready to quit. I got on the Sub's, and during the first 3-4 days i took them as needed...i let my body tell me when. After day 3, i started tapering down....a lot. I tried to research how long it takes to get addicted to these sub's, but like i said the info was minimal. i DID NOT want to get addicted to these, and my only reason for getting on the suboxone was because i couldnt handle the with draws from the perc's and oxys..i didnt need it for maintanence, just to get thru withdraws. I didnt want to later have to go through suboxone withdraws, that would defeat the whole purpose for doing this for me. So yesterday i hit my week mark, and havent taken any suboxone for 3-4 days now. I dont feel 100% normal...meaning i feel a little tired, and not motivated...but no real horrible withdraws, i got past those already while on the suboxone the first 4-5 days. My doctor told me to take 8-16mg of the sub and after a month or two on "maintenance" we can talk about tapering down. However i agreed with him to his face, but i did what i felt was right for me in the end. If i had listened to him, i could possibly be addicted and wishing i had never taken it! But i used it just for the detox and stopped before my body got addicted...a couple days i had to take valuim. I agree suboxone is a great medication and tool to help one get off of their opiet DOC. But i personally believe it should be taken for the detox only and not any longer..because who the heck wants to get addicted to something else that has the same withdraws only longer (b/c of the longgg half-life) that their DOC had. The doctors dont tell you this. Not just mine, but friends of mine too. The doctors tell you to take sometimes 16mg....and people do it, of course why wouldnt they their doctor told them too. But trust me, listen to yur body, only take it to get thru withdraws and then cut it off!!!!! Dont get addicted to something else. Now i do understand that some people may need it for maintenance because it takes the cravings away....some might not have a choice or they would relapse. I dont judge those people, some need to do it that way. But those people will go thru withdraws just the same as their DOC when stopping the suboxone only itll last longer than it would have had they cold turkey their DOC. Ive heard of people taping down and feeling little to no withdraws, but ive read it took them years.... i was not willing to go through YEARS of this....no way.
This is just MY experience...i am not an expert. Just a girl who had an addiction to percs and oxys and wanted my life back. I got it back with suboxone without getting addicted to those too. I didnt listen to my doctor i listened to my body and mind.
I was just shocked that it is very hard to find the real truth on the internet...its either stories saying how wonderful suboxone is, or stories of people already addicted and pleading for advise or help.
So with that said...i am hoping my story will help someone out there before they take these and get addicted to them. Listen to your body, only take it for detox and youll be so happy you did!! I am off the Oxy's and the subs....i believe suboxone is a miracle pill....some say its not, but i say for me it was....but ONLY for the detox period...i cant stress that enough!!!
Good luck to all of you!!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

most suboxone doctors will under no circumstance pescribe you any other narcotics than the sub.. That's in my experince.. I have always doubted that I benefited from vistaril.. But it seems to work well with the sub.. .. Maybe it's just the sub but I seem to have alot less anxiety now.. I've been on 8mg sub 2x a day for four weeks now.. And I feel better than I have ever felt.. The first week I was a little hazy/sleepy but it goes away.. I think sub is a miracle drug
Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR John

D
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Listen to your body, only take it for detox"

Totally agree with islandgirl. I did detox with soboxone in the hospital. First day 4 mg in morning and that night second day 2 mg day and night , third night nothing, and left hospital. Those three days saved me a week of withdrawals. And came out just fine with only post w/d symptoms. Which I could handle. I'm so glad I did not go to a doctor that would put me on soboxone for months or even years. I've heard it's brutal to get off of, and only delaying the detox.