SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   Suboxone Anxiety? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/231588-suboxone-anxiety.html)

chris4638 07-12-2011 05:21 PM

Suboxone Anxiety?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and hoping that this forum will be effective to help keep me sober. I was a user of Hydrocodone for about 2.5 years then it spiraled into percs and rox for the past year or so. I've tried to quit in the past but my will power was awful.

Recently, I went to a treatment center that deals with Suboxone. I started off with a 2mg strip in the morning and then another in the afternoon. I noticed that I would get really anxious, un-easy, sweaty hands, shallow breathing, etc. (In fact, I used to feel uneasy and anxious when the high was wearing off from the opiates). So after about 4-5 days, I stopped the Sub and went back to my usual things for a week or two. I decided that I really wanted to quit at this point. The last time I took anything was this past Sunday at 10:45am. I took a 10mg hydrocodone and it didn't do anything at all ( I had been using anywhere from 55mg-80mg a day).

I started back yesterday (Monday afternoon) at 3pm with a 4mg strip of Sub. I felt alright and had a little bit of tightness in my chest for a little while and then it went away. I didn't sleep at all last night. Today I took a 4mg strip at 10:30am. A little while later, I thought I was about to drive myself to the hospital. I felt like a zombie, shallow breathing, sweaty, shaking, etc. I called the treatment center and mentioned all of this and they said I would be fine, etc. I told them that I had .5mg of a xanax with me but they said not to take it for multiple reasons. After a long while, I finally started to feel a bit better but I still feel a bit uneasy (10 hours later). Does this happen to anyone else on Subs? I'm not planning on doing this for very long.

The doc also prescribed me Trazodone 50mg since I was having trouble sleeping. I have yet to take it because I am afraid of the interactions between both drugs and am afraid of not waking up in the morning. Am I over-reacting? I just want to feel normal again. I'm debating on not taking the Sub tomorrow to see how it goes. I would rather feel like crap than feel like I did earlier today. Is it ok to take the Trazodone tonight for sleep?? Thanks in advance for the replies. I look forward to taking an active roll on this website. I hear that these forums really help keep recovering addicts motivated to stay on the good path.

-Chris

Dee74 07-12-2011 05:35 PM

Welcome Chris
We can't give you medical advice here I'm afraid, regarding taking or not taking the Trazodone or any other medications.

The best thing to do is consult with your prescribing physician :)

I hope others will be able to help with first hand experience of subs and anxiety, but I think that too may need a professional opinion?

D

chris4638 07-12-2011 05:40 PM

I've talked with them but they don't even have my full medical records which makes me skeptical of taking the Trazodone. I was just wondering if anyone else had be prescribed the same thing because I would like to get a good sleep in tonight. I'm not going to take anything tomorrow and see how that goes. I'm ready to feel normal again. I mentioned the anxiety thing to them before and didn't get too much of a response. Like I said, since they don't have my medical records, I'm skeptical.

CarolD 07-12-2011 06:52 PM

I have no experience with anything you are doing but want to wish you all the best as you move forward..WElcome..:wavey:

I remember when I quit drinking....it took me awhile to get back in balance mentally and physically...2 months but I did improve every few days...:yup:

Please see if this link is useful for you

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

FT 07-13-2011 08:03 AM

Hi Chris,

You will got lots more answers to questions about withdrawal symptoms than you will about medication questions.

Everyone here is shy of answering medication questions. First off, because it would be irresponsible. Second off, because few can escape the symptoms of withdrawal even on the meds, it seems.

You might try reading some of the withdrawal stories on the substance abuse forum.

FT

tsmba 07-13-2011 02:15 PM

What did your doc say about the suboxone side effects (if that is what they were). From your description, you started at a certain dose, didn't like how you felt immediately, so chose on your own to quit. That doesn't sound like a good way to approach things. Another question: were they attempting an induction, or simply using the med for detox? All questions for your doc!

Dee74 07-13-2011 04:41 PM

I've talked with them but they don't even have my full medical records which makes me skeptical of taking the Trazodone. I was just wondering if anyone else had be prescribed the same thing because I would like to get a good sleep in tonight. I'm not going to take anything tomorrow and see how that goes. I'm ready to feel normal again. I mentioned the anxiety thing to them before and didn't get too much of a response. Like I said, since they don't have my medical records, I'm skeptical.
Just because something works for someone else doesn't mean it will work the same way for you though.

I dunno how it works in the US but I've found Drs here in Australia prefer patients with full medical records.

I hope you can chase those records up...or chase up the ppl who need to do the chasing :)

D

chris4638 07-13-2011 04:59 PM

I was just somewhat surprised that they didn't ask for any of my medical records from my physicians. I actually didn't take anything today and felt a lot better so I'm going to keep this up for a while.

jaywilll 07-19-2011 10:40 PM

if i stop my suboxone, take opioids, even for a couple days, and go back, it is always really difficult for me. the longer i wait to take my suboxone after using other opioids, the better i feel. if i use opioids instead of taking my suboxone, when i am done using, i have to wait about 2-3 days and feel really nasty before the suboxone makes me feel better right away.

if i am using opioids, and i take the suboxone too soon, i feel nasty, and feel all the symptoms you describle. and i know that some people seem to be sensitive to naloxone. and so even if they don't take any opioids, it could make them feel really nasty, and anxious, sweaty, ect. right after taking it. this is not medical advice or anything. this is just observations and life experience.

for me, suboxone helps my anxiety, as long as i am taking as directed and not messing around with other opioids. which is how i am now. hope this helps. i am new here so if i broke any rules please delete this. thanks for reading!

cadesmama 07-23-2011 01:04 AM

My ex had issues with suboxone although he is the only one i've ever known to have a problem with it. Everyone is different. Can you go to a different clinic? You definitely want a good doctor, someone who you can trust and who is well informed. Good luck