Notices

Getting off suboxone CAN be done...

Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

3 weeks today!!!!! No one is aware of what I've been going through (including my wife), but over Thanksgiving almost every person from our families said something about me seeming different, happier, back to the old me. My mother in-law actually hugged me as I was leaving and said "I don't know where you've been but I'm glad you're back".(If she only knew) Then a few nights ago, my wife told me that the past week has been the happiest shes been in years because of this recent change in me.
All this really made me realize the huge affect that opiates have had on my personality, my life, and on the lives of those who I care about most. When they said those things to me, it gave me an incredible sense of accomplishment and made me feel proud of myself and confident I was on the right path. And Even though I still don't feel 100% "normal", I know that if I stay on this path, I'll soon get to where I want to be, and then I'll never look back.

Some Helpful Tips if you're wanting off Subs or opiates...

1. Tried every thing otc to sleep. Ambien would give me 3hrs. Lunesta is the only thing that worked for me, I got 7-8 hrs with it.

2. The first week just sucks. but after 3 or 4 days amny of the symptoms go away but you're left dealing with the few that don't want to go away and they are the most difficult to deal with in my opinion. Insomnia, and the extreme exhaustion(which is from both the withdraw and the insomnia). Without a sleep aid it's impossible. Once I got my sleep somewhat under control, the exhaustion was bearable and I would drink coffee before noon but NOT AFTER, and it helped.

3. As my drill instructer told me in bootcamp...."Hydrate!, and if you still feel bad, Hydrate some more". You have to make yourself drink water. I'd give myself a break with 1 gatorade a day but then I was back to chugging water.

4. Get your butt up and do something. on day 5 I had to go to an event and I was thinking, "I'm not going to make it, putting my pants on seems like an impossible task to me right now" but I did it and once I was out, it felt good. But you need to exercise.....get some blood pumpin.

There is other stuff but I've been typing this for most of my lunch time so I'm going to go eat. Reply or send me a message if you want some more info.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good work USMCsgt
Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

which way is the right way

not sure where to start exactly, but i have been taking suboxone for a little over a year starting at 2 1/2 a day 8mg and ive brought myself to 1 a day. i practice stoping like not taking any until im at my worst sometime when withdrawls are in ful effect. and it dont seem like im actually progressing sometimes i make it a day rarely 2 days completely without, my record is 6 days cant beleive i gave up. im just not myself when im sober like my personality is gone. i really try and the constant failure is pretty depressing just not knowing how long the withdrawls will go on.
i was pretty much a buzzaholic for the first couple of years then it converged to strictly narcotics of any kind. i dont really have anybody to talk to about this stuff im just 24 yrs old my family has no idea that im an addict they just wonder where all my money goes and ive been doin drugs since before i got with my gf,about 8 years ago. shes pretty much the only one that knows other than friends and i dont really talk to them anymore there still not trying to quit and will probably never try, and we dont never talk about it i dont think she understands. ive been to a couple of meetings and the guy leading it seems like he is trying to brainwash everyone with lies saying that you dont withdraw after taking subs so i seem like the bad egg telling him otherwise and all kinds of other stuff. the drs there just right the script and move on to the next person
i dont really know what kind of help im asking for but anything will be good these forums have been good thus far. its just nice hearing people talking about success with these programs because for now it just seems like i go to legal drug dealers every week
thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR vw03

I know you'll find a lot of encouragement and support here

D
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by vw03 View Post
not sure where to start exactly, but i have been taking suboxone for a little over a year starting at 2 1/2 a day 8mg and ive brought myself to 1 a day. i practice stoping like not taking any until im at my worst sometime when withdrawls are in ful effect. and it dont seem like im actually progressing sometimes i make it a day rarely 2 days completely without, my record is 6 days cant beleive i gave up. im just not myself when im sober like my personality is gone. i really try and the constant failure is pretty depressing just not knowing how long the withdrawls will go on.
i was pretty much a buzzaholic for the first couple of years then it converged to strictly narcotics of any kind. i dont really have anybody to talk to about this stuff im just 24 yrs old my family has no idea that im an addict they just wonder where all my money goes and ive been doin drugs since before i got with my gf,about 8 years ago. shes pretty much the only one that knows other than friends and i dont really talk to them anymore there still not trying to quit and will probably never try, and we dont never talk about it i dont think she understands. ive been to a couple of meetings and the guy leading it seems like he is trying to brainwash everyone with lies saying that you dont withdraw after taking subs so i seem like the bad egg telling him otherwise and all kinds of other stuff. the drs there just right the script and move on to the next person
i dont really know what kind of help im asking for but anything will be good these forums have been good thus far. its just nice hearing people talking about success with these programs because for now it just seems like i go to legal drug dealers every week
thanks
vw03, Your story is almost identical to mine. I know what you mean about the Dr's being almost like legal dealers. From my personnal experience and reading about the experiences of many others, what I've learned is that, When it comes down to it, if you REALLY have to have the will to quit, then you will be able to do what needs to be done and get through it. Personally, I was so pissed off at my Dr. for misleading me, and at myself for failing to be a good father, husband, son, friend, etc, etc, and for letting myself get to this point, I just said "enough is enough", "I'm getting off of this, not just for me, but for everyone I love". And that day I stopped.
I know what you mean by not feeling like yourself, but that is only because your body has stopped producing the natural chemicals that youve been getting unnaturally from opiates/subs. So now you have to take something just feel normal and have your normal personality. But when you quit, that all comes back after a while.....you go through withdraw and as long as you dont relapse, eventually your body will start producing dopamine again and you will feel normal. Opiates/subs had a huge effect on my testoterone and once I stopped using my tst levels went up. You have no idea how much youre effected by the lack of these "chemicals" in your body.
It's not a cakewalk.....it doesn't happen in a day, or a week....You have to go through some crap....but if you stick it out, it's worth it.

My advice is take your time, and taper down to less then 1mg per day. Dont just not take it. If your taking one 8mg film per day now, then next week try 4mg then stay on that for a few weeks or a month and then go to 2mg per day and so on. After taking it as long as you have, it would be extremely hard to quit on 8mg per day. Hopefully your Dr is understanding and truly wants to help you......unlike mine who was just in it for money and had no intention of taking me off it or even lowering my dose.

You said you didn't know what you were looking for, but when I read your post, I felt I could relate to what you're feeling and going through. You're 24, I'm only a couple yrs older. No one, not even my wife & kids new what I was going through. I was a hardcore user that got on suboxone to quit an addiction, only for it to give me another....... I can relate to most of what you've shared.

I hope what I've said helps you in some way.

You got yourself here, and you Can get yourself out if you're determined to do so.

I'm 4 weeks into it and I feel better every day. Again, I hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by USMCsgt View Post
Suboxowned, have you made the jump? I'm in the same situation...scared...really scared.... but I know I have to do it for my kids. I'm just going to try to hold on to that fact to keep me motivated. Today is only day 1. I'm looking at it like I don't have any other choice, it's ruining my life and I really want to be a good dad. I got myself into this and I'm the only one that can get myself out.......here we go
Hey Sgt., im on day 6 today without taking suboxone. I took it for abt 7-8 mo., yesterday i felt great, 4 hours of sleep but 90% good, today day 6 i feel sad emotional, restless legs and slept only 2 hours last night. I took my clonidine, b-12, gatorade everythin. How are you now? How long is thease BS withdrawls? I have to know exact based upon expierence.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Assistance....

How did the GNC Body Cleansing Program work for you?? Any side affects?? and when did you START too feel better after not taking suboxone?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

thanks

Originally Posted by tjhook View Post
Just wanted to share a quick success story. I have been on the subs for a long time, and finally made the jump from 1mg 11 days ago. Well, I won't lie...days 4-9 sucked. I had little energy, no appetite, severe depression and the normal chills, headache...so forth.

However, yesterday I got out and played catch with my nephew, hit the gym, and drank tons of water....I felt like I was getting over the "hump". I got almost no sleep last night, but so far this morning I feel pretty good...almost "normal". The entire time I had 5 films of suboxone in my kitchen, but didn't take anything. I don't recommend that, but for me I wanted to mentally test myself and prove I could do it without cracking.

I am not completely out of the woods, but today I feel much better, and know I will not be going back.

I still have a lot of problems, but physically....this CAN be done. Anyone out there who is stuck on this stuff......if I can do it, YOU can too. Just make up your mind and except the fact that you will feel like garbage for a while. But that is a small price to pay for your freedom.

One more thing.....don't take the suboxone horror stories you read on the internet to heart. People exaggerate by nature, so keep that in mind.

Good luck and if anyone wants to PM me for support, feel free.

TJhook
I really want to thank you fro this positive reply, everything else i read was scarry as hell, a lot of people got it right on here, let you rdoc know, stay with the program. Keep a spiritual outlook . I am starting to get off now, got it down to a mill a day with one 8 mill pill left to cut up into many pieces. Im sick of not being able to use th bathroom...sick of the depression. Meaning the drug was awesome and has been a miracle, but it comes a time when its time to stop. I have been on for years and the time is now. Thanks again for the postitive thread
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Casmuse

D
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Red face

So, I've been on suboxone since 2007, had been on methadone for 5 yrs prior to that. Methadone and suboxone were/ are both life-saving for me but then I think how I've spent more then half of my life being on some type of substance, not to mention the current fact of insurance issues with suboxone. I feel that I'm ready to get off suboxone, I have support and I feel good about myself today and I know that I deserve to wake-up without the "dark cloud" looming over me. So I started on 24mg and now have been taking 2mg for the past 4 months--my only issue is that I started a new career (and it really is a career--ie. registered nurse) and I can't take the time off just yet. So I was thinking about waiting till the end of 2012??? Any suggestions--I spoke with a girl who said she had to go out on disability to get off subs.

Last edited by cherry2027; 02-14-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: disclosure of info
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I finally jumped and it's not as bad as I thought it would be! The only problem that I kind of had was a restlessness, kind of like I didn't know what to do with myself. I worked past it by staying bz. What I did was taper down to .25 mg (which wasn't always easy, but I managed) and then started skipping days. I've been on it for about 3 1/2 years. I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd drop in for this update!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am trying hard to get off Suboxtone....but

I am 6 weeks into tapering down off Suboxtone. It has not been easy. I was on 24 mg for almost three years, way too high a dose and way too long to long a time period. I am down to alternating between 8 mgs one day and the 4 mgs the next. I am having difficulty taking it to the next level. I want to drop to 4 mgs one day followed by 2 mgs the next. This site has been very helpful, reading all the posts gives me hope that one day I can live drugfree. I was addicted to percacet/vicadon for over ten years. Some days have been awful, body cramps (especially my legs) and depression, but lately I have been experiencing "moments/periods" of feeling "normal" and this has given me hope. Drinking plenty of water and workouts at the gym have helped me greatly to deal with the the nasty side effects of tapering off. I keep telling myself that I will be able to do it (live drug free).
Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Scotti

D
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Scotti,
Sorry you're having a hard time with your taper. I know how hard it can be. From 8mg I went to 6mg for Afew weeks, then down to 4. From 4, I went down to 3 then 2 then 1 then .5 and finally down to .25 and started skipping. Best of luck 2 ya!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

amen
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I was on Suboxone from 2007 t0 2012. I was only on 8mgs and then tapered to 2mg q day. Just some info to all the people on 2mgs or less and skipping days that is not a theraputic dose and is making no difference except mentally. If that is what your doing then flush what you have left and don't look back you are physically over your Suboxone dependance.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Question

Day 4 i dnt count the day i took it.. idk how i cn really tell wht day im on..

iv been reading alot on peoples suboxone storys. ill try to make it short cus most people dnt reply to anyone lol. i was on subs for 5 months. like most everyone else unaware to wat was bout to happen. i did 16 mlg for a few months then down to 8 mlg. {they were 8 mlg strips} thn all the sudden i got n sum stuff tht made me have to quit. i had only one strip left cut the n bout 5 lil pieces. i took my last bit sunday 8th. easter. today is thursday 12th. i see most people say there wd dnt start till a few days after a dose. i kno it matter how much yu took. but my worst wd were day 1 and 2. since i feel alot better the past 2 days... any encouragement?? like.. yu think it will continue to get better? jus down like everyone else. im n need of some good news. theres to many diff stories on here. wen i asked how long will the wd last i jus mean the pain and restlessness. tho the restlessness it bacisally gone till i try to sleep. everything i cn handle. first post every on any site. so..plz reply if yu cn.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share but I wanted you to know people do read here.
I hope you'll continue to feel better and better.

Welcome

D
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NurseBrooke View Post
Just some info to all the people on 2mgs or less and skipping days that is not a theraputic dose and is making no difference except mentally. If that is what your doing then flush what you have left and don't look back you are physically over your Suboxone dependance.
I realize you are a "Nurse", but bupe has a half life of 24-60 hours (and sometimes more). If you are taking 2MGs every other day wouldn't that mean the drug is still in your system at 48 hours? I recommend talking to a doctor before flushing your subs. I would hate to see someone go back to opiates because they found out they were not over the physical dependance after taking your advice.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Glad to hear this can be done, your story sounds like a million little pieces by James frey the only difference is the substance . I am having a awful time with subs. I been on for almost 3 years and want off but understand its just not possible right now. This gives me hope though