Notices

Subutex to Methadone.. need input

Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Subutex to Methadone.. need input

Ok so im new here. Over the past 3-4days ive been researching my but off, thinking of the pros and cons of each subutex and methadone. Ive been on subutex for over a year now. Before I was on subutex, I was abusing oxycontin and fentanyl(smoking it,snorting, some iv use). Right now my sub dose is at 16mg. It was at 24mg, then I managed to ween down to 12mg. I was deadset on weaning off bupe, but now I dont know why I feel differently. My older brother passed away a couple weeks ago. He was 28, im 21. It has really screwed me up. Now I dont have any drive to quit my sub maintenance. I actually have been craving opiates everyday all day. I feel like I need something different for maintenance. I also am expecting a baby in another month. I think with my baby boy on the way its making me more anxious.

A big reason why I dont want to continue with subutex is because subutex has to be taken sublingual, so I have to let the nasty pill dissolve under my tongue for 20-30 minutes(doc says 15 but I think 20-30 is better). This whole routine really messes alot of stuff up for me. If I have work at say 5am, then I have to wake up atleast an hour and a half to be able to do my medicine. That goes for anything I do. If I have school or a dr appointment, then I have to make time for me to do my routine. And after letting the pill dissolve, then I have to wait atleast a half hour before I can wash that disgusting taste out of my mouth. If I swallow any of it then it makes me nauseous. Also, I cant seem to do my medicine out in public, so I have to be home or alone in my car. And I always turn down doing fun stuff like going to a hockey game or something, just because it will interfere with my scheduled dose. I would love to just swallow my dose in the morning and not have to worry about when I can do my routine. I have to take my medicine atleast twice a day. When I go to school or work, by the end or middle of it, then I start to feel anxious and need my medicine again. If I was able to swallow subutex then that would make it a hell of alot easier. Im moving into my girlfriends home close to when the baby is born, and I really dont want to be doing my routine in front of her parents and others. I know that when I have to wake up in the middle of the night with the baby, that ill be feeling anxious and stuff and will feel like I need to do my routine. Some people might not agree with this as a good enough reason to switch, but its defnitley holding me back from taking more classes at school and finding a new job. I need another option, this just isnt cutting it anymore. This is what I think of constantly.

Also subutex isnt stopping my cravings anymore. I used to not even think about getting high. Now that is all I think about. Another huge reason I want to switch to methadone, is because subutex seems to give me headaches every single day.

I know alot of you will think my reasoning is off, and that it is all in my head. Well I agree it is probably in my head. But Im not a normal person. I cant just switch my mindset. I have struggled with anxiety my whole life, and if I feel like im going to be anxious about something then I just shut myself down. I have to live around my subutex.

Ive been a very good subutex patient. I have never screwed up for my doc before. In the beginning of treatment I dabbled here and there, but for the most part ive been a model patient. I will admit that when my brother died I relapsed for a few days. Im upset that I relapsed, but I cant go back and change what I did. I think methadone will be better for me. I can just go to the clinic and swallow my medicine once a day. I wont have to worry about skipping class, not working, avoiding friends, avoiding sporting events and other social events so im able to do my medication. I know I wont break any rules at the clinic. So eventually I should be able to earn take homes. There is a clinic ten minutes away, but the guy never called me back like he said. There is also a month wait to get in the clinic. So now im just searching and evaluating my options. Im going to express my concern with my sub doctor my next appointment. I am kind of close with my sub doctor, we really get along well and are pretty good friends. So Im going to be sad to leave him. Maybe he will be able to prescribe me methadone but I highly doubt it. I dont want to put his job at jeopardy.

Please dont attack me. I plan on eventually weening off whatever im on. But right now if I did so then I know I will end up back on the street doing drugs. Please give me some opinions on if you think methadone will be good for me and my situation. And if anyone here has ever switched from subs to done, how did it go for you? Thanks guys. This forum is pretty cool im happy I found it
Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Briggs

Welcome

I have no experience with either drug but I know it's a pretty major (capital M) step.
What does your Dr think about it?

D
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Briggs

Welcome

I have no experience with either drug but I know it's a pretty major (capital M) step.
What does your Dr think about it?

D
Thanks.. its good to be here. Im going to talk with my doctor at our next appointment. Which is this coming friday. So ill report back with his opinion on the subject.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You seem pretty focused on the actual taking of the medication, which is only a tiny portion of treatment. Its normal to have a flood of emotion at difficult times, no medication will stop that. I cannot understand why taking it is such a big deal....its not like you cannot do other things while it dissolves (other than eat). Hopefully your doctor will be helpful, but switching to methadone is not a trivial step, especially for the "reason" you describe!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
You seem pretty focused on the actual taking of the medication, which is only a tiny portion of treatment. Its normal to have a flood of emotion at difficult times, no medication will stop that. I cannot understand why taking it is such a big deal....its not like you cannot do other things while it dissolves (other than eat). Hopefully your doctor will be helpful, but switching to methadone is not a trivial step, especially for the "reason" you describe!
Its tough to explain. The people close to me understand how the routine of doing this medicine has taken over my life.

Have you taken subutex? you ever go to work in front of your fellow employees, and pop a subutex under your tongue? walking around looking like a damn monkey with your mouth full of spit? then have to try to explain to others why your mouth is full of spit. This goes with anything you do. Wether it be during class in front of all your fellow students, or when you go out with friends and have to do your medicine in front of them. Then you have to keep a spit can wherever you go because god forbid you swallow some of this stuff, it will make you sick. And before you can drink/eat something I have to wash my mouth of this disgusting medicine. This is only one reason btw. I expressed a couple other very legit reasons why I dont want subs anymore. But I already know whats best for my situation right now so I dont even know why I seeked advice from strangers. Take care everyone. Maybe when im completely sober ill come back and contribute more. Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took suboxone/subutex for close to three years. Never had a bit of trouble taking it, and I got used to the taste. I'm sure that, during the course of a day, anyone could work it in. Its true that methadone goes down the hatch in seconds.....but requires submission to the whole regulatory system, clinic control, etc. Have you considered the films?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree that both done and bupe have pros and cons. I dont really know about the films. I know they are suboxone films and not subutex films. And when I tried suboxone before that orange taste made my stomach screwed up for days. So my doc switched me to subutex. The subutex isnt nearly as bad as the suboxone, but its not pleasant either. And I hear the films taste even worse then the suboxone tablets.

Everyone is different. Im happy subutex worked for you. Hell maybe ill hate methadone even more then I hate subutex. I dunno ill just talk with my doctor. He will figure out whats best for me. He is in recovery himself, and he looks out for my well being. So I trust whatever he says will be best. Thanks for your input
Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice for you, just support. I had taking Subutex too. I have the same issues. I have to take it while at work and pray no one try talking to more or that I don't get a phone call or else I will be drooling and asked why I am talking funny. Its bad enough my kids already know that when I talk funny I'm taking my medicine, luckily they don't know what it is for- yet! And it tastes so nasty, food or drink don't taste right for like 30 minutes after.... BUT I think its gotta be way better than going to the methadone clinic EVERY day!!! There are many times I miss just swallowing a pill but I gotta admit it feels a lot better knowing I'm not doing anything illegal, I don't gotta worry about not being able to get a hold of any, and I will always pass a **** test if need be
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink Be grateful

What's the big deal Ten minutes under your tongue twice a day and your life is saved Where there is a will
there is a way my friend
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was on Methadone for 2 years the Detox is worse than Heroin (my durg of choice) The film is better its gone in 2-5 min but i would consulte your dr before you make any decison just please dont go use that dont solve nothing. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jehovah's Girl

I was taking suboxone and I know what you are talking about. Now I take methadone and I love it. I follow all the rules and it lasts 24-36 hours. I admit that it is a hassle to have to go to the clinic every day but it only takes 5-20 mins. at the clinic each day to dose and be out of there. I see a counselor once a week and I am doing great. But, this is me. So, you will have to find what works best for you. I also know that detox from methadone can be bad if you do not detox very. very slowly. I am detoxing slowly right now and doing good but it is not a breeze but it is not the hell that most people say that it is. The people who describe it as hell were detoxing too quickly. If you start feeling bad you have to stop detoxing and even go up a little and then hold for a while. It is a long, long process. Good luck Also, you have to find a clinic that is responsible and legitamite. Not all clinics are in it for their patients success. Be careful and again, good luck.

Last edited by Jehovahsgirl1; 04-10-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So what happens if the methadone doesnt suit you either? I did the suboxone and had to wait for the nasty to dissolve under my tongue. But the real issue sounds like you need something else to cope with whats going on in your life. Methadone you will be taking an extra trip everyday to get your dose. Find a new routine to taking your meds and if you want it to work, you will make it work. Took my last sub crumb in Jan and so many times I hated it. BUT!! Im glad I hung in there. Its hard to get the answer you want when your inside the belly of the beast. Stay the course, because one day you will encourage and support someone in these chat rooms.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used bupe and it worked quite sucessfully for me, my Dr. was diligent in tapering me down, the key is to taper, if you jump off at larger amounts you will have long drawn out withdrawals, the half life of bupe and methadone are extremely long 20-73 hrs so preciated wd is long and nasty.

If your still here (or anybody who's reading this thread and on Subs or Methadone) and are really considering getting off , get a good Dr. who will work with a good taper regiment and go from there. Stay strong and be commited to getting completely off, don't jump off until it's time..Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i was on meth for 3 + years. i am currently on suboxone and have been for 3+ years and have NO intention of EVER getting off of it. i have pain issues that it helps too. PLEASE think long and hard, huh huh, long and hard meth is VERY hard to come off of, i actually missed my saturday dose and my sunday take home so i just decided to quit cold turkey. (not recomended) i didnt sleep for 240 hours straight. not a wink. i halucinated big time on days 7-10 and ended up in a psych ward. suboxone is sooo much easier to ween off of. i was on 36 mgs and went down to 24 with zero problem. i know i can even go down to 8 mgs every other day but i dont because it stops cravings. God bless you and remember to talk to as many people as you can. AND PRAY!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

you know what? stop it, just stop it! wake up ten - fifteen minutes early and take your darn medicine. are you just trying to get attention? i really cant understand your argument.