SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   methadone taper and withdrawl (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/199701-methadone-taper-withdrawl.html)

hcz 04-26-2010 04:37 PM

methadone taper and withdrawl

I am new to this group and looking for anyones experience of getting off methedone. I finally got down to 1 mg and was at that dose for close to 2 months and still feeling that lingering withdrawl. that stuff just hangs on and on. I even started decreasing my take homes in half and still feeling it after a couple weeks. am I going crazy to be feeling it this long.

Dee74 04-26-2010 04:40 PM

Welcome to SR hcz

I'm sure others will be along to share their experiences.
I assume you're connected to a clinic - have you spoken to anyone there about this?

D

snowman76 04-27-2010 05:19 AM

hcz, I'm currently @ 1.25 mg a day , just dropped dosage yesterday and it'll take acouple days to feel normal again. But I plan on jumping next week.

We can't give medical advice here so discuss with your doctor or clinic. But it sounds to me that maybe you just need alittle push to stop.. ? You are sooo close!!

hcz 04-27-2010 02:44 PM

yes , I am discharged from the clinic. I am just amazed how long it takes to get out of your system. I did discuss all of my symptems with my counselor . I had a really good one, its just that unless you are on the program you dont know how it feels. she only could give me advice on my symptems based on what she has heard from other patients.

jazz66 04-27-2010 03:19 PM

In my opion there is no point in hanging on 1 mill . you only have to swet to fell bad
its like balensing on a nife edge do i jump or do i not .thats what your thinking right.
what your fealing now for so long wont get eny better its the fear off jumping .
1 mill has no pharmasuticol physialogical afect
its just all head games get to grips with them and its all over

Dee74 04-27-2010 05:53 PM

like snowman says hcz, we can't give medical advice here so the best idea is discuss with your doctor or clinic, especially if you don't feel right.

All we can deal in here is opinions too :)
D

hcz 04-27-2010 08:06 PM

thanks to all that have replied. I know that at this point it is in my head cuz I am really taking next to nothing as far as my dose goes. I am ready to be done with this, I just know I am going to feel so awsome when this is out of my system.couldnt feel any worse right!

jazz66 04-27-2010 09:50 PM

Hcz enyone who can hold on 1 mill has got what it takes to quit that alone is very difficult.
you've vertualy prooved it to yourself i now that dosent make jumping eny ezear
and its still scary .
you have done so well to get to this stage
good luck hcz it's a chalenge but worth it.
take it easy

snowman76 04-28-2010 06:55 AM

hcz from what Jazz has told me and several others, the first few days will be rough..but after that it gets better. I jump on Monday will keep everyone posted on how I'm doing. Home today with my sick son. :(

hcz 04-28-2010 11:25 AM

day one at nada

thanks for the support and good luck to you as well. One thing I noticed is the overwhelming feeling of sadness and feeling so vulnerable as well as crying over anything. anyone have this problem?

cjsg 04-28-2010 01:10 PM

Hcz
WHen I jumped off suboxone I was plagued with the super heightened sense of emotional rollercoasting. It was insane how that part of my brain started waking up out of the fog ( after a few days after jumping off) and the sheer weight of all these feeling really threw me for a spin. I was extremely melancholic one moment, ridiculously happy the next, then warped into a crying jag the next. Just being prisoner in my brain to all that was like torture, BUT its just what happens as we make the transition. All the things that come into your head might be heavy stuff but you have to push it aside to be dealt with later... during our detox we couldnt even deal with it if we wanted to.. we aren't capable. Just know that it is gonna happen, it might get pretty hairy, but it will pass and is just very pronounced due to the fact that your detoxing. STay tough, determined and you'll be rewarded in ways you can't even fathom right now.. it is soooo worth it
Chris

jazz66 04-28-2010 01:45 PM

cjsq has put it perfectly hcz ..anger and confushion to . i found doing somthing that took a lot of consentration help keep my mind of things like video games .
never realy played them biffore but took over my sons xbox ..on line ended up in the top 100 in the world.playing call of duty. so you gess how much time i spent on it..
it helped me lodes ...

snowman76 04-28-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hcz (Post 2582775)
thanks for the support and good luck to you as well. One thing I noticed is the overwhelming feeling of sadness and feeling so vulnerable as well as crying over anything. anyone have this problem?

YES! I feel myself tearing up over the smallest things right now.. crazy.

hcz 04-29-2010 09:52 AM

ahh just all the support makes me wanna cry ha ha thanks

jazz66 04-30-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by hcz (Post 2583812)
ahh just all the support makes me wanna cry ha ha thanks

If your doing it your doining it if your not your not WERE ARE YOU UP TO NOW.....................

tsmba 05-01-2010 06:49 AM

Are you doing a medically-supervised withdrawal? Much of what you describe could be caused by tapering too fast. There is no shame in backtracking a bit. If you are going the cold turkey route, then certainly those kinds of feelings aren't uncommon. The thing to remember is that, as bad as they seem, they WILL go away. Hopefully you have a doctor involved....discuss those feelings and see what can be done. There are tons of meds available that may help without restarting your addictions.

SpaceDementia 05-01-2010 02:48 PM

I am not currently on methadone but have been in your shoes before, my friend. First, none of this is medical advice, I'm just sharing my personal experiences and thoughts.

At one point in time when I was going to a methadone clinic, I had tapered from 80mg down 2mg without issue. I was going down pretty slowly, something like one milligram a week or every other week. Anyways, I felt I was being ripped off as when I was at 80mg I was paying $100 and now that I was 2mg I was still paying $100 a week. So I decided to jump off and quit at 2mg. In all honesty, I felt as sick as when I had jumped off at 25mg on a previous occasion. Everyone reacts differently of course. Methadone is a bit trickier to detox from since it has a tremendous half-life (meaning it stays in your system for a long time). Long half-life means long withdrawal. Some of your organs become saturated with methadone when you're on it for a long time which can complicate things.
If I were you I would definitely discuss your troubles with your doctor. Maybe you need to bump your dose back up or maybe you need to stay at 1mg longer until you feel ok. However it goes down, I wish you luck and hope you feel well and avoid any withdrawal.
Peace