Notices

On suboxone: when does my sober clock start?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On suboxone: when does my sober clock start?

I am taking suboxone to come off opiates. Can I start my 'sober clock' or do I have to wait until I get off the subs? I just read that article on PAWS from another thread (Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma), and it said that our nervous system needs 6 months to 2 years to recover from an addiction. Does this mean 2 years after beginning suboxone ot 2 years after discontinuing suboxone?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Since suboxone is still considered an opiate, I'd say that once you kicked it, then your sober clock starts...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NewDoorOpens,

From a physiological standpoint I suspect snowman is right, tho neither of us are doctors

From a philosophical standpoint, it seems very much an individual decision for each sub user when you start your 'sober clock'

D
Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think i had PAWS newdoors well a lot of confuzion eny way after i stoped opiats
it more or less disaperad after i started sleeping properly' no were near 2 years
thats got to be the worst case senareo.
every one has there own opinion on sober .........
Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey NewDoorOpens,

I'm a believer in the idea that clean time (over sober time) starts the first day after the last time we take a mind altering, mood changing substance. It celebrates the first day we go without taking any drugs. As Suboxone is an opiate, it is still a drug. You'll likely encounter a couple of varying voices on this one, but I'm going to suggest that the general opinion (and mine) is that clean time will start the day after you kick subs or any other substitute drugs.

Not everyone experiences PAWS, so there's no need to start worrying about it preemptively. With that said, I think it can be a great help to know about PAWS symptoms so we can have a better grasp on the situation if does happen, so it's great you're looking to keep informed. I did go into PAWS after I stopped using, and I can say with confidence that it's totally survivable and totally worth staying clean through. The only thing that allows PAWS to pass is total abstinence. Our bodies don't know the difference between drugs according to where they come from (i.e. the pharmacy or the "street pharmacy"). Something one might want to consider is that long term use of subs can potentially increase one's chances of going through PAWS, just like any other drug. There are also other people who asked this question on the PAWS site if you want to read more about it.

Have you considered attending NA meetings? They are a life saver and a life changer for me. I wanted to do it on my own; now I am profoundly grateful that I have the fellowship in my life.

Do what you've got to do, but my suggestion is to find meetings -- and to keep going back!

Best of luck!

Big hugs!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great post, Stepping it Up.

I have considered NA meetings but have not made that step as of yet...I am in counseling, however and have been working through this with my family, which helps.

I think that you are right about the longer you are on suboxone the more chance of PAWS. It just makes sense. I am not sure if there is any research on that, however. Regardless, I am keeping that in the back of my head to make sure I get off the subs asap.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IMO, when it comes to one's clean time, only two opinions matter: your own and your HP. Many individuals have been sober for years in ORT programs. When someone pronounces their clean time to be somehow diminished because they are on medication, they are displaying their own lack of knowledge. When it comes down to it, each of us knows in our hearts just when sobriety replaced insanity. If someone wants to interject their opinion, smile and carry on!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

This is just my opinion but you arnt sober till your sober.. meening you will only no . when your sober .......** how ells could you no.}
and im sober so i no
Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think that you are sober, when you stop taking illegal drugs or stop abusing your prescription medicines. If you are taking the suboxone as prescribed and are not using any mood altering drugs YOU ARE CLEAN!!! When you take your suboxone as prescribed, it is no different that a diabetic taking insulin.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nohopeindope View Post
I think that you are sober, when you stop taking illegal drugs or stop abusing your prescription medicines. If you are taking the suboxone as prescribed and are not using any mood altering drugs YOU ARE CLEAN!!! When you take your suboxone as prescribed, it is no different that a diabetic taking insulin.
Well said!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Goya2463

Hello, everyone I'm new to this site but I'ved read alot before going on suboxon and it is not an opiate it is a opiate blocker read up on it ...it blocks the opiate cells forms a block i really cannot explain this .but I advice everyone to read before talking about it i'm living prove cause i'ved been on it and to everyone on recovery this is my opnion i only got today ,one day at a time don't go do like other trying to get key chains to show off keep your sober day or years to your self and trust me it will help you.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is not true. Suboxone contains two drugs: buprenorphine, a partial agonist; and nalaxone, an anatgonist. Even though buprenorphine is not a full agonist doesn't diminish the fact that it is a powerful opiate. All of this may be technical mumbo-jumbo to some, but it is highly-effective at doing its job!