Notices

I thought i'd made it...

Old 07-25-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought i'd made it...

Where do I begin or where do I fit in? The story of my life.. This is my first post and find this site somewhat overwhelming. I feel like I qualify for many of these categories which is really sad but here goes...

The reason I decided to post was because I don't go to meetings and don't have any real support. Don't get me wrong, I have tried them but felt like it wasn't for me so save your sermon. I don't have anyone I can talk to. I hope I will find someone here that will listen & understand and I will do the same.

I began taking rx pain meds 10 yrs ago and was hooked ever since. At the end I was taking 30+ a day before I started on methadone. I was on that for a few years and detoxed off it. I stayed clean for about a year then started using again. Shortly after I was placed on suboxone and been on it for 3 yrs now. I have been slowly detoxing over the past year and am now on 2mg. I got down to 1mg but simply could not function.

I really thought I was going to be able to get off them but that did not happen. I have to work so I need to take it to get through the day. I have shaved crumbs off a 8mg tablet b4 but it's so hard to measure the dose. I am soo close and truly want off them so I would appreciate anyone's advice especially if you've successfully detoxed off them.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to this site.

Sorry I don't really have much experience in that area I just thought I'd say you might try posting this in the newcomers forum or the substance abuse forum as those two have more people and you might get a quicker response.

All the best to you.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How are you doing now? I cannot get off suboxone either. Once went down to 1 mg/day and then stopped and went into severe withdrawal. Now back up to 6 mgs/day. It sucks. I am not huge on NA AA either but do believe it really works for some. I go off and on ... try and convince myself against my inner feelings.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi hljlell

the original poster only posted that one time. It goes that way sometimes. I hope they're doing ok.

Welcome to SR anyway

Have you spoken to yr Dr about this?
D
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just from the tone of the OP's message, it sounded as though he/her was nowhere near ready to stop. The goal of maintenance should be achieving a stable recovery, NOT simply tapering off suboxone. The fact that the OP tried it "their way" with methadone, should be an indication changes must be made. Many people (myself included) cling to the fallacy that support groups and/or counseling "aren't for me" and insist on going it alone. The lucky ones who live long enough, finally surrender.

In my case, I had to learn that, instead of focusing on what I perceived as "problems" with AA and counseling, that I had to accept that all those "problems" came from myself. Ultimately, we are our own worst enemies, and until I came to grips with the fact that, what *I* felt was best, was most likely the wrong thing, I was doomed to repeat the cycle.