Notices

Concern for a total stranger

Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concern for a total stranger

Yesterday at CR meeting, I found myself in a situation I did not foresee. I noticed that one of the guys was not there. In fact, I noticed before we broke up into the groups for sharing. CR has a format where there is a large group part where a worship and teaching/testimony happens before we break up into smaller groups who struggle who suffer from the same afflictions. My group is men who are alcoholics and/or drug addicts.

Anyway when I noticed this guy didn't show up, I felt genuine concern for him as he was also a newcomer like me. And he seemed determined to stay sober and rather vulnerable. To my relief he did show up about 10 minutes into the sharing session.

This was new for me as until then, everything was about myself and protecting my own sobriety. Even though I was posting here, I didn't feel that genuine and sincere concern for others struggling for their recovery.

I felt like this was a real turning point. Turning point for what? I don't know for sure, yet.

sorry for rambling. but I thought I'd share.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can see that. I've only been on SR a short time and can't help but wonder about how folks on here are doing even though I'll never meet them.
I want everyone here and elsewhere to succeed in beating whatever they may be struggling with.
I'm sure if I went to meetings that concern would be heightened.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

The 9th step promises of AA say that we will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Perhaps this is a result of your programme as well?

Sometimes quickly. Sometimes slowly . . .