Notices

Step 5 - All at once or an hour at a time?

Old 08-13-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 5 - All at once or an hour at a time?

I have a friend who is struggling right now, because her 5th step is taking a very long time. Her sponsor meets with her for about 1-2 hours every couple of weeks.

In my home group, we not only do three inventories (resentments, fear, sex) but we go back to childhood. So our inventories tend to be very long.

My sponsor took me through my 5th step over a long weekend, but it was draining. I think she would've preferred to do it an hour or so once a week, so that I could process what I was reading better. I sort of wish now that's what she did.

Then again, I remember it being really hard during the waiting period for her to be able to schedule a weekend to hear my 5th step. I was a mess because someone told me that if I didn't do this vital step at once, I would relapse and die. My friend said something similar tonight, bringing up the quote from the big book about this being a vital step. If action is key, and you're supposed to continue taking action, I don't understand the point in dragging out a 5th step or making people wait to do it.

I told my friend to read and apply pages 84-88 meanwhile, and to practice turning to God, and go to meetings. She said she is, and it's not helping her fight off her disease. Can anyone recommend anything else I can suggest to her?

I am very curious to hear other people's experience and opinions from that experience regarding if a long 5th step should be broken up into an hour or two per week, or done all at once, no matter how many hours. Obviously people are busy with their own lives so I'm curious how other people handle this. I did part of my 5th step at my sponsor's place of work. That was strange, too.