Notices

Step 4---thoughts

Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Step 4---thoughts

Step Four

"Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."

The real work begins in Step Four. In the first three steps we admitted our powerlessness; agreed that of ourselves and by ourselves we were not able to effect recovery; and made the decision to trust a power greater than ourselves to be our guide.

Now we are about to embark on a process of self evaluation, an inventory in which we will assess the qualities we posses--both negative and positive---to determine our future course of action.

We've found it advisable to do a written inventory. This is because our minds have a tendencey to ricochet off the subject at hand and to dwell on emotions rather than on hard facts. We also suggest that you keep what you have written for future reference.

Our goal in Step Four is to experience a lightening of the load we've been carrying, and to begin to believe that we can create a comfortable and rewarding lifestyle.
Step by Step, meditations for living the Twelve Steps. Muriel Zink
Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does this author state who the "we" is ?

"an inventory in which we will assess the qualities we posses--both negative and positive---to determine our future course of action."

Can anyone show me what page this is printed on in the Big Book?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am curious....is it the fact that in this interpertation the author is not adhering exactly to the big book, or do you have an adversion to people remembering that they are children of God and possess both good and bad qualities?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
I am curious....is it the fact that in this interpertation the author is not adhering exactly to the big book, or do you have an adversion to people remembering that they are children of God and possess both good and bad qualities?
You bring up a good point, thank you.

My experience has been that although I truly believe that the 12 Steps are the key to my recovery it is essential that I am able to understand the steps. The Big Book explains them to a certain degree but still leaves a lot of the understanding of them open to interpretation. I enjoy hearing others thoughts, opinions, and interpretations as I have found that by listening and being open to new ideas I am better able to understand the information being presented.

I realize that this flies in the face of what a true Big Book thumper believes and to those individuals I say if it works for you then don't fix it. I respect your opinion and am truly glad you have found something that works for you. But I prefer to keep my mind open to new ideas and thoughts.