Notices

step2

Old 03-23-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

step2

i'm a really private person and talking abt religion w a sponsor freaks me out. is this recommended though ? a lot of the ppl in my group seem to have sponsors with whom they discuss religious perspectives and the concept of god.

maybe i take myself too seriously. it will probably be good for me
Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA is ''not '' a religious program it is a spiritual program , you get to choose your own conception of a ''higher power '' as ''you understand '' it , people are ''free to choose '' if some choose a ''religious God '' that is their choice .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

gtb,
the more important part might be to talk about the "came to believe...could restore us to sanity" part.
the details of what a power greater than yourself is for/to you are really no-one's business.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

its a spiritual program- not religious.

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book. Do not let any prejudice you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as we understood Him.

yer not as private person as ya think or ya wouldnt have posted here.
think about it- you can bring this up to people you cant see and dont know yet cant bring it up to someone sitting next to you.
could there be fears playing here?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

A power greater than yourself.

That's all it has to be.

And you don't need to tell anyone,

It's personal.

I hope that you are willing to believe, whatever your higher power, that you can be restored to sanity.

Because, you can.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

have always known that theres a God

after getting thrown into a locked psych ward at a year sober and really understanding the unmanageability of my life ...

i had no problem understanding that my way couldnt and HIS way could

Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

all I needed was the willingness to believe
Old 02-02-2020, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If the question is should one get a sponsor to assist with the steps..... I'd say it's about as advisable as having a coach if you're an athlete, a trainer if you're a boxer, or a teacher if you're a student. One could understand and "do" all the steps on their own, it would just be significantly more difficult. Why handicap your recovery?

For example, a sponsor would have been able to point out that the second step doesn't require a discussion of religion or a religious view of God. That said, lots of people in AA discuss their opinions and beliefs about God and naturally their religious views, if any, can filter into the conversation. Ppl in AA talk about drinking, not drinking, recovery, all sorts of things.

If you look in the basic text, the main question one needs to ask themselves regarding the 2nd step is: is it possible that there is a power greater than yourself? It doesn't ask you to believe IN that power, to have faith, or anything like that. It simply asks us to answer if there is or could be a power greater than one's self. For me, I substituted AA and the 12 Steps for God and moved on to step 3. Many in AA do the same.