Notices

Depression and Alcohol

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and Alcohol

Hi Folks,
Today I have been reading various web sites about depression and drinking.
Drinking, apparently, can worsen depression. Sure, I knew this before, but I didn't realize how true this is. I believe I started drinking a lot because of several life stressors - realizing that I was making myself more depressed by drinking sure takes away from that brief buzz that the alcohol gave me. Just wanted to pass this on.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, alcohol does make depression worse. I can really atest to that! I justified my bottle of wine a night habit by saying it helped to deal with some events (last spring) that caused me deep psychic pain. Didn't help a darn thing, just made it worse, but I guess I continued because at least I could drown out the pain. But the depression only gets worse and worse and my antidepressant meds weren't working anymore. Desperation hit this summer. So yesterday I made it through day 1 on my 3rd attempt at sobriety. I know it will take awhile to get the effects of alcohol out of my body, but I do feel a certain "good for me" pat on the shoulder this morning. (Although I know it's not ME, my willpower never got me through a day.) It's grace, pure and simple - the grace of God, the grace of the people in AA, the grace of exercising my body and reading AA literature. With help from my higher power, today will be day 2. I'm sober an hour and a half today.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Maybelline...:wave;....Welcome to SR...

You might want to check with your doctor regarding depression but yes....my drinking turned me into a depressed woman.
My doctor diagnosed me with situational depression...suggested I abstain and committ to my local AA goup.

I did...and it's been working great for me for years....
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

JulyBabe....

All my best as you move into a sober future...

Thanks for shareing with us..hope your de tox goes smoothly.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've always suffered with depression and anxiety all my life and I used alcohol to self medicate and if I was crying before, I was crying that much harder once I started drinking. I realized that the quick buzz would make me feel ten times worse than before while I was drunk and sober.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Alcohol is a depressant. I learned that the hard way.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
Alcohol is a depressant. I learned that the hard way.
yea go figure, we try to treat depression with a depressant.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
yea go figure, we try to treat depression with a depressant.
We also treat lonliness with isolation...Nothing that a heavy dose of God and two meetings in the morning can't cure.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JulyBabe View Post
Yes, alcohol does make depression worse. I can really atest to that! I justified my bottle of wine a night habit by saying it helped to deal with some events (last spring) that caused me deep psychic pain. Didn't help a darn thing, just made it worse, but I guess I continued because at least I could drown out the pain. But the depression only gets worse and worse and my antidepressant meds weren't working anymore. Desperation hit this summer. So yesterday I made it through day 1 on my 3rd attempt at sobriety. I know it will take awhile to get the effects of alcohol out of my body, but I do feel a certain "good for me" pat on the shoulder this morning. (Although I know it's not ME, my willpower never got me through a day.) It's grace, pure and simple - the grace of God, the grace of the people in AA, the grace of exercising my body and reading AA literature. With help from my higher power, today will be day 2. I'm sober an hour and a half today.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No doubt, makes it worse.

That said, there are reasons to be depressed. Maybe thats why despression rates are skyrocketing in the Western World. I tend to believe its because our political leaders are unable or unwilling to truthfully put fourth a vision that doesn't treat the population like children to be controlled and protected, but that's just me.

Depression Rates Highest in Wealthy Countries - International Business Times
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is a way out of suffering. This is an absolute truth. The answer is based in spiritual and philosophical scripture. But the reader must want to be relieved of suffering.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

When I was drinking I don't recall felling depressed. Usually, I felt pretty darn good as a matter of fact. After though....when the next day would roll around and I had to face another failure...I'd get depressed. Depression is a common symptom of alcoholISM and drinking made me feel better.....for a while.....to a degree.

In recovery though...working the AA program (which treats the alcoholism more than the drinking problem)....that old depression is mostly gone and I enjoy my life.....so there's no good reason to drink again.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Keen

D