Old 06-02-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Question for members of Al Anon

Just curious....

Do you consider Al Anon an ideology?

Main Entry: ideˇolˇoˇgy
1 : visionary theorizing
2 a : a systematic body of concepts especially about human life or culture 2 b : a manner or the content of thinking characteristic of an individual, group, or culture c : the integrated assertions, theories and aims that constitute a sociopolitical program
Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is Al-Anon the people or the ideas?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I see Al-anon as practical steps I follow every day to keep my thinking, emotions, and behaviour healthy. All I know is, it works for me.

PS - based on your definition, the answer would be no.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Al-anon to me is a set[12 steps]of spiritual principals.Alot of it doesnt make sence to my mind.Example--Forgive those who hurt me,im asked to do,and pray for them.And yet ,doing this,has been the very thing that has set me free,mentally,spiritally,was in the forgiving,and praying for them.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Al-Anon is a catch-all term used for many different things.

- Al-Anon, the program, is 12 steps of action derived from the experience of many people who overcame very similar challenges in life. Note that the "program" is _just_ the 12 steps, nothing else.

- Al-Anon, a meeting, is a gathering of people for the purpose of supporting each other in the use of the 12 steps for the pursuit of a life that is happy, joyous and free.

- Al-Anon, the fellowship, is all the people in the world who are using the 12 steps in their daily life.

- Al-Anon, the literature, is a small collection of personal experiences, commentary, and opinions on the 12 steps.

- Al-Anon, the organziation, is a loosely structured association of people who create the relevant legal entities for the purpose of facilitating the distribution of literature and creation of meetings in a given city, state, country.

- Al-Anon, the person, is an individual who chooses to use the 12 steps as a tool in overcoming their challenges in life. ( aka alanoid, alanut, etc. )

I think that's it, did I miss anything?

Mike
Old 06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WHat should be the question is: does long term attendance in Alanon totally replace a person old belief system with its own.

Then the 'ideology' question would make more sense.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Does the person continuely think "my way is useless" "Alanon is the way", over and over and over?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is the person afriad of their own ego, of their own thoughts, unless they loose control and relapse?

Is thinking for ones self 'selfish'?

Are they being manipulated by people who are more spiritual, who have got more time?

We know something you dont know affect...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is the ideology never wrong? The person allways is?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Five
"Alanon is the way"
I honestly don't understand that statement.

Five, I don't know what your experience has been. I can say I have attended some Al-Anon meetings that were very reminiscent of the religion I was raised in. I walked out. Don't confuse the program with individuals. But most of all, try to feel good about the fact that you took control of your life and left behind something that did not work for you. You can and will be a source of strength and understanding for anyone else who is feeling the way you do.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think Alanon is a cult or a group that practices brainwashing...
No one is forced to attend and you are free to leave when you want...
and always take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Five, you crack me up man!

I'm posing the question to ACTIVE Al Anon members because I'm curious, not because I'm attempting to polarize a friggen forum! LOL!!

Stop it! Just read the responses dude! You have made your opinion clear time and time again, that's cool. I can still respect you for that....
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I see Alanon as a formulation of idea's with a supportive componet. I think what each individual does with the concepts can lead to misconceptions of the program. Some people take it to far and that is why to some it may appear as a cult. It's that way with anything. It is what that individual does with the information.
The "ideas" "steps" "tools" are very useful. For me it is not a way of life. It helped me to see the clearer picture. It is like church, exercising, dieting, if done with healthy balance it can't hurt. But when you can't see others points of view or respect others beliefs because your are so intrenched in the program then that can lead to a negative impact for all involved. Just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

the voice of reason 'from the best'. wish you had been my sponser. All I got was : do this or die.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I see Al-anon as practical steps I follow every day to keep my thinking, emotions, and behaviour healthy. All I know is, it works for me.

PS - based on your definition, the answer would be no.

quoted from robina... thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
On a tear

Originally Posted by Jazzman
Just curious.... Do you consider Al Anon an ideology? Main Entry: ideˇolˇoˇgy
1 : visionary theorizing
No.

2 a : a systematic body of concepts especially about human life or culture
Yes. Sytematic body of concepts - the steps & traditions

2 b : a manner or the content of thinking characteristic of an individual, group, or culture
Yes - manner of thinking characteristic of a group - our meetings? Which would be the same thing in a Girl Scout meeting, I think.

c : the integrated assertions, theories and aims that constitute a sociopolitical program
No. Emphatically. I have not seen sociopolitical ANYTHING. I focus on me, my needs, my growth, my changes, my behaviors. If anything, it is anti-political. The only group dynamics addressed are those of the Alanon group and sometimes, its relationship to AA.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On a tear

Originally Posted by Five
the voice of reason 'from the best'. wish you had been my sponser. All I got was : do this or die.

I am sorry you had that experience. I cannot apologize on behalf of the program, because there is NO ONE person who represents that program. But I am sorry your experience with your sponsor was detrimental to your health and well-being. I am sorry you had to experience that.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

just for people that don't know - Five was in the rooms of AA, correct?

Anyway, my Alanon program is specificially taylored to me..I'm an individual with individual wants and needs..

I don't think that Alanon is an ideology but for me I have embraced most of the principles, concepts and traditions because they work for me...

There are certain things that don't fit - so I don't use them as much...

Some of you know - I changed sponsors after the first year..My first sponsor who I still see in my home group and I still rely on her wisdom and I are on close terms.

I just didn't want to meet the requirements of her line of sponsorship anymore..

I have a sponsor today who lets me work the program as I wish...

no big deal..