Notices

Narconon

Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Narconon

Hi folks...I would appreciate opinions, with reasons for them, both pro and con, on Narconon. Thanks.

BubbaBob
Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bubbabob,

Welcome to Soberrecovery. I am not really sure what you mean by narcanon. I am not sure if you mean Narcotics Anonymous or Naranon. You may want to read in either of those forums if those are what you were referring to. I am sure you will get more replies if you could clarify. Thanks a lot and tell us a little about you sol we can say hi.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

From what I have heard it is a bit cultish. I think it is run by the Sciencetologists. I've heard some people get clean at the program, but then they start pushing the religion. I would look into Scientology first and see if it is something you are comfortable with first.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Might want to check out this website. Not exactly a ballanced look, but I'm sure Narcanon can present their side of things.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/
Old 04-27-2005, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Tyler...I've seen that site and am trying to get more info on the organization. Besides being a recovering alcoholic I also am an addiction counselor, and recently Narconon has expressed intentions of opening a center in my area. I'm getting calls about them, some asking for info (the local paper) and some expressing outrage due to the Scientology connection (local ministers). I am completely unfamiliar with the program, just having started looking into it this week, and I figured some here might have personal info, positive and negative, to help me become informed.

Again, thanks.

BubbaBob
Old 04-27-2005, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Bubbabob

I'm glad you want to check it out first. Narcanon is run by Scientology and has their own religious beliefs as a foundation. Nothing wrong with that, if you believe what they believe. Personally, I think it's just not for everyone, to put it as nicely as I can.

Hugs
Ann