Notices

Today sucks and I need support

Old 02-16-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Today sucks and I need support

Hi everyone, as some of you know I am an addict with 14 months clean. I am also an RN and my nursing license is on probation and I can't find a job because of that. I have been getting rejected foe every job I have applies for. It seems like the majority of interviewers only see the addict, not that I am in recovery and a good nurse. All this just keeps re-playing in my head. I know we are all responsible for our actions, but when is enough, enough? I really feel like crap.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hi, I so hear you!!!!!! My job was terminated, also with a health district because of my addiction, it really wasn't fair. My ex told my boss and I was off on a leave at the time, i was sent a registered letter to let me know that I had no position with them anymore but because I had moved I didn't receive that letter. On the day I was supposed to return to work , then I found out I had no job. Now I am jobless and 8 1/2 months clean. To think of going to work for minimum wage , well I'm having a hard time with that.....When is enough , enough??........when God thinks so I guess....keep plugging away. I'm rooting for you. \\// peace
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

pickles,
I know misery loves company so here goes............oh heck!, I would rather tell you a joke instead so here goes:

There is three southern women sitting around and drinking some wine,(said in southern accent of course)
And Flo speaks up and say's "girls we should have us a game....lets make up nicknames for our husbands using a soda pop theme, its my game so I will go first and would have to say my george is 7up as you know he's 7..up!".
Grace jumps to her feet, " oh I get it! she exclaims, " I'd have to call my man mountain dew cuz thats all he wants to do, mount and do!"
after a long pause and a great deal of drunken laughter the one they call sis say's "boy thats a tough one....I guess I have to call Harry Jack daniels".
Flow shouts out amid laughter "sis ya just don't get this game do you?, it's a soda pop theme and thats a hard licka"
"EXACTLY!" proclaims sis.
Well I hope this helps, and sorry if it offends you in anyway as it is not my intention.
C-ya
John.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just be happy you are alive and don't have serious brain damage be grateful for today. Your time will come be patient and just believe e has a purpose. Good things come to those who wait. I'm sorry you are having a rough day, I also am in a day of confusion.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pickles98,

I am so sorry to hear about this situation. Won't the probation be lifted from your license at some point? Perhaps it will be easier to get a job once it has been lifted. I know that nursing is in high demand, so it will happen at some point and you will get that job. It doesn't seem fair that 14 months (wow what a lot by the way!) isn't enough time to clear this up. It only takes one job offer to be reemployed and this could be right around the corner. Don't give up now, you might be almost there. Have you thought of nursing in the alcohol and drug recovery field? I was in treatment in 1987 and the nurses in the hospital were recovering alcoholics and addicts. They were the most competent, compassionate and caring nursing staff I have seen in any hospital.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It will get better, just keep doing the footwork!!!!!

Might I suggest looking around for rehab centers or detox centers which ususally need RN's on all shifts.

Your 14 months clean will be an ASSET and will help getting a job at someplace like that, and will go a long way toward not only lifting the probation, but being of service to others and yourself.

Hang in there it does get better.

Congrats on your 14 months!!!!! That is quite an accomplishment!!!!!

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Laurie beat me to the punch...work in rehab. Some require 2 yrs clean time before employment, but a lot (well over half) only have a 12 month clean/sober requirement.

BubbaBob
Old 02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes Pickles, it does seem like we are forever punished for the mistakes we have made. You've gotten good advice so I will just say congratulations on coming this far and don't give up.

Love, Anna
Old 02-17-2005, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

I agree with Anna, you have gotten great advice so I will just offer you big ((HUGS)) and say a prayer for you.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a friend who sometimes lurks on here, I'll see if she can get online. We are both addicts. She was in your shoes, we kept telling her to have faith that her HP has something better for her. That with one door closing another one will open that will be beyond her wildest dreams. Well, she kept doing the footwork, came to meetings, worked steps, prayed, talked to her sponsor, fellowship.......again, and again, and again......Now, she has a wonderful job that she wouldn't have if she was still in the RN buisness (this was the only life she knew), she tooks risks without having that license and her HP did have something better for her. It's all about having faith that no matter what happens, your HP has a plan you just need to keep doing the footwork.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope that someone will see sense and not your past addiction.
hugs indigo
Old 02-17-2005, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi...i Don't Know Where You Live But Both Small Towns And Big Cities...have Courts...have You Thought Of Maybe Contacting Them To See Where They Send The Dui...for Conseling...usually Those Places Will And Do Hire..people Who Are In Recovery...(since You Are More Apt To Understand)..i Know When I Went The Rn...was An Addict In Recovery For 13 Yrs..and It Was Very Inspiring...i Hope You Find A Job Soon...i Will Keep You In My Prayers...
Old 02-17-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good suggestions. Another possibility is to try places where nobody wants to work, like nursing homes, prisons, etc. I have known a lot of physicans and nurses who have been where you are, and those that stay clean and sober eventually get their professional life back on track. It is hard; just don't give up.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Better today

I guess I just needed to bitch and moan yesterday. I feel better and started seeing a new thearpist today and will try some meetings in this area. I live in a small town and have been really isolated. I don't know about you all, but too much time to think is not good for me because I get all worked up and consumed by stuff I can't control anyway. Besides no matter what, one thing no one can take away is my clean time!!