Notices

Eat first

Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eat first

all of you with thoughts of drinking: have you eaten?

Go eat. Then see where you are.

I do wonder how many of you start your thoughts of driving to get a bottle at 4pm at work or at 5 on the way home.

Put all thoughts away and eat dinner. Not just a side salad. Not just PB and J.

DINNER, like your grandma would make for you. with fat and protein and carbs and vegetables and get full.

Then get back to us about how loud that AV is.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great reminder for newcomers SS!
It's worked for me many many times.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholics avoid eating to get a high. Go without eating long enough early in sobriety or eat too light, and it will trigger that brain pathway of drinking instead of eating.

Go old fashioned with eating. all food groups on your plate. 1. Meat, fish, poultry tofu or beans 2. Rice, potatoes or corn 3. Steamed vegetables 4. Salad with dressing 5. butter on your carbs.

You won't gain weight eating this way, and eating like this does not promote disease: processed junk that comes in a package promotes disease and bad health.

Eat like it's 1945. Right after work.

My tip of the day.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great tip SS. A full stomach kills the AV. At least 90% in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very simple yet surprisingly effective, and for women alcoholics whose cultural values include being as thin as possible, problematic and something they will avoid doing.

Just a reminder that you have to eat enough just for survival, you also have to eat enough to repair the damage done by alcoholism which wastes crucial nutrients, and eating real meals at actual mealtimes can help significantly with your cravings.

Your alcohol cravings are psychological, but your brain has interpreted every need your body had ever had as an alcohol craving.

don't forget that alcohol has hijacked everything. those cravings can come from ANYTHING.

If you are in early sobriety and you are craving alcohol, meet all the needs first. all of them: thirst, hunger, social, sleep. Your brain can and will take all these things that are lacking and turn them directly into alcohol cravings and the more needs that aren't met, the worse the craving will be.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HALT: don't get too hungry, angry, lonely, tired. These can lead to a drink.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't crave booze anymore, but i do know when my blood sugar starts to crash or gets low, i get really grumpy and i'm not very rational. This is a GREAT thing to post about Sassy. I think more of us really need to be more aware of this.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Eat. Chill. Reach out. Sleep.

The antidotes to HALT.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

100% yes! In early recovery I’ve found it critical to eat a lot, and often. Today I left work at 4pm and was feeling peckish and frazzled from the work day. Instead of letting my AV drive me to the liquor store I stopped and had a big meal. Put the kibosh on any cravings. Lots of water too. Keep food at work too, I’ll eat half a jar of peanut butter to wipe out a craving.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great advice!!! It always works for me. And just like you said, if I go too long without eating or just eating crap, the AV starts to kick in. But if my body is satisfied and in a good place, the AV is much quieter. I even forget that I wanted a drink - sometimes I only remember as I’m laying my head down in bed as I’m reflecting back on the day.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah I think this is very important, especially in early recovery. I just try to eat healthy and drink lots of water.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I always keep the same few snack foods nearby, both at work and at home: bananas, dates, salted cashews (or mixed nuts), fried bacon or hard salami.

Also helps to keep a supply of seltzer or sparkling water in the fridge.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am trying to beat the beast. I have nice meals ready for drunk me. Can't remember eating the next day though? I so wish I could stop now. A good friend who is only 40 is having major issues with his heart as he drinks from 2pm to sleep every day. His heart stops every 15mins for 4-9 secs. WTF? Are we crazy? I had heart surgery a week ago...SVT Ablation. So far so good.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

100% agree with this! I’ve noticed when I think I want a drink and eat a solid meal it’s gone.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So true, I’m only on day 2 of being sober but I just ate a huge meal of bbq artichokes, chicken and fruit salad and I’m ready for bed now haha. 2 more hours until bedtime for the kids though 😩
Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by speed39144 View Post
I am trying to beat the beast. I have nice meals ready for drunk me. Can't remember eating the next day though? I so wish I could stop now. A good friend who is only 40 is having major issues with his heart as he drinks from 2pm to sleep every day. His heart stops every 15mins for 4-9 secs. WTF? Are we crazy? I had heart surgery a week ago...SVT Ablation. So far so good.
You can stop now. It's a lie that you can't.

Stop. Get sober. Get help. Take care of yourself.

It's that simple. Incredibly hard, but very, very simple.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you Sass?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This post help me today cravings starting to crawl in my alcoholic head after a long stressfull day .. i bring my family to chinese buffet have a nice tea cravings went away.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jjb2018 View Post
This post help me today cravings starting to crawl in my alcoholic head after a long stressfull day .. i bring my family to chinese buffet have a nice tea cravings went away.
I'm glad your cravings went away! Sometimes a nice dinner with people you love is exactly what you need. Drinking instead of meeting actual physical or emotional needs not only never meets your human needs it makes your alcoholism worse.