Notices

isolation from the world

Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

isolation from the world

Hi All,

A quick question does it matter if you need to isolate yourself from people and the world in early sobriety in order for you to maintain sobriety?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jhonny - depends on your motivation I guess.
I had to isolate myself because my old life was all about drinking....but I didn't lock myself in my house either - I got out as much as I could and did things, provided alcohol wasn't involved.

If social interaction seems a bit beyond you right now I think thats ok for the first few weeks.

D
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, jhonny, everyone is different in early sobriety. If you need to be on your own, then certainly do that. I found that I enjoyed doing things I couldn't while I was drinking, like going out to shops at night and buying myself something, or going to photograph the moon or even to the movies- I knew I would get home safe and sober and it was truly liberating.

Early sobriety is challenging so don't forget to appreciate the good parts- especially the freedom from being a slave to alcohol.

Gradually, you will be able to go out and be social, but make sure you have a plan- plan exactly what kind of beverage you will have, what time you will leave and always feel free to skip any situation that you don't feel ready for.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Johnnyspa

All of the above and don't forget you have us so keep posting.

Isolation from triggers for alcohol does not mean isolation from the world for sure!

Best wishes. Dusty😎
Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Where do you go that you're not in the world?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm still very early in my sobriety, but I much preferred being alone during my first 2 weeks. I couldn't concentrate on conversations and didn't want to make to effort in contributing to one. I just didn't feel like socializing. I'm getting out more now (35 days), but avoid places where there will be drinking. I would do what feels comfortable to you in avoiding triggers.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nonsensical

Hi Nonsensical,

Thanks everyone for your replies, and to answer your question nonsensical. In order for me to escape from the world and my drinking acquaintances, I lock myself in my home and shut down my phone and all other communication.I do go for a walk occasionally, I just feel the need to do this until I get stronger then I will try develop a plan AA meeting, Exercise, meditation, healthy eating, prayer and to finish my studying to become a practising lawyer.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jhon,

In my first 90 days of sobriety I went to my Dad's house for a Bday party.

I used to drink with him starting around noon. He would always tell me...I never drink like this except when you are around.

Thanks Dad.

The booze was around this time as well. My Dad and his friend got wasted every day.

I was tempted. But every morning I woke up sober was a victory.

Seeing my 70 year old Dad struggling w a hangover was motivation.

He enabled me as a child. He didn't know any better he says. Sometimes I feel like he was trying to hurt me on purpose.

I use these thoughts to protect myself and my family now.

Peer pressure was the reason I had that 1/2 shot 6 months ago.

While it didn't cause a relapse, or change my physical and mental state, i still regret it.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jhonny,
I would say it all depends upon your own mental strength. If you think you are strong enough to be around people or social situation that involve alcohol and not give in to temptation then you don't need to isolate yourself from that drinking scene. But I wouldn't be putting that kind of temptation in my way especially in the early days of sobriety.

As for isolation, you will find the world grows in time and new or forgotten experiences once you stop drinking. A whole new wonderful world opens up to you. There are soooo many things you can do that don't revolve around alcohol. Personally, once I gave up drinking, I found my world became less isolated.

Good luck on your journey.