Day 1!

Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days! That's awesome!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Trying to be Sober since 23/08/2017

Day 134

Hi SR! I am currently on my day 134 of alcohol recovery and day 38 smoke free. My health has improved dramatically, I have lost 52 lbs so far. Life is great, however most of my friends that I was hanging out with drinking and partying hardly ever call me now. I guess besides drinking we haven't had that much in common.

How are you guys?
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

134 days is great. That’s also nice work quitting smoking and losing weight 👍 I’m a couple of weeks behind you with quitting booze and I feel pretty good😀

(Oh, I looked at your other weight loss thread. Don’t get too down that you’ve stalled a bit. Just keep plugging away. Maybe have a look at what you could tweak with diet and exercise.)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 134. It gives me hope. I too was a beer drinker, drinking about 8-12 pints per night. I'm now on day 5 and determined to stick with it this time.

Originally Posted by addictedToBeer8 View Post
... most of my friends that I was hanging out with drinking and partying hardly ever call me now. I guess besides drinking we haven't had that much in common. ...
Yeah I noticed that too the past couple times I quit. You quickly realize who your real friends are. Funny thing is, I'm glad they don't call anymore and I don't call them either. haha.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

doing fine addictedToBeer8 - glad you are too

D
Old 02-19-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Day...6 Months

Hello SR,

I am celebrating today! It has been 180 days since my last drink, 87 days since my last smoke and 27 days since my last non-vegan meal.

I have never felt this good in my life! And I am never going back to neither of those things!

I wish you good luck and never give up hope on your life and dreams!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad for you ATB - congrats

D
Old 02-19-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

It's great to hear from those with long term success in recovery. I find it very encouraging. With the amount of beer you were drinking, it is a testament to your commitment. Your written words feel loud and proud. Very happy for you ATB. Keep posting, it helps others that are struggling.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello SR,

I haven't been posting much lately and that is due to bad news. I have been sober for 9 months when i decided I will try drinking again, but in moderation. A month I was able to drink 2 beers a day, however the second month I went back again to my old habits. For 2 and a half months I began drinking again around 2.5 litres of beer a day. I am once again struggling and wishing I have never gone back to alcohol, because now...there is no turning back. I am trying to stop again. Last week I was able to go 5 days without drinking, but on Friday I drank, a lot. Then Saturday and Sunday again. This forum helped me once. I hope it could help me again to stop this self destruction once and for all.
Wishing you all the best!
ATB
Old 07-23-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are back! You can get sober again. I learned the hard way that moderation doesn't work, st least not for me, and goodness knows I tried and failed enough to figure this out.

You should join the July of 2018 class, you will have the support of others committing or recommitting to sobriety this month. The 24 hour thread is another good place to check in.

You know you can do this, and you know how great waking up sober feels. The days will start to add up again.

Glad you're back!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back too ATB
do you think you're over the delusion that you can drink normally now?

D
Old 07-23-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
do you think you're over the delusion that you can drink normally now?
D
I knew it before I started my journey i knew it even when deciding to drink again, and I know it now. I hope I could go back on track and remember how I failed and not do it again...hopefully.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you need a different plan this time?

D
Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome back, ATB. Moderation has never worked for me--I have no off switch when it comes to drinking. Once I get started there is no predicting what will happen except that it will be a total disaster.
There is a phenomena called kindling--every time you quit is harder than the last. I was 30 when I first quit and it was no big deal. I relapsed after 15 years and when I stopped again 5 years later I suffered hallucinations and seizures. That wasn't enough for me and when I drank again after nearly 3 years sober I ended up attempting suicide and wrecking my car in the process. Kindling is real.
I wish you all the best on your journey--sobriety is the best gift you could ever give to yourself and your loved ones.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe you need a different plan this time?
D
Maybe. I think I was doing well in my sober months. I didn't even crave any. I just thought I have power over beer, big surprise I was actually powerless. This time ill try to stick to my routine and never try to convince myself I can handle moderation. Have to accept it and be fine with it.
I also made a too big of a commitment. I quit beer, smoking and became vegan, which in turn did ill on my migraines. I'll try to deal just with the alcohol this time.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back. I am sure you can make it stick this time.

Hang around here and read the stories. They are all a bit like yours. I spent a lot of time here in early days, it helps.

Keep ticking off the days, before you know it you'll pass that nine months.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by addictedToBeer8 View Post
Maybe. I think I was doing well in my sober months. I didn't even crave any. I just thought I have power over beer, big surprise I was actually powerless. This time ill try to stick to my routine and never try to convince myself I can handle moderation. Have to accept it and be fine with it.
I also made a too big of a commitment. I quit beer, smoking and became vegan, which in turn did ill on my migraines. I'll try to deal just with the alcohol this time.
I confused abstinence with control many times too.

No one here can make you do anything

If you think your plan is solid and you just went off the plan, that's your call.

But at the very least I'd think about what made you want to drink again, and I'd think about the scenario where you think it possible to drink again and control it... and what you'll do in response to that next time

D
Old 07-23-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back. Some don't. You have gotten sober before so you know what it entails. No reason you can't do it again. The whole controlling thing is a myth in my opinion. We alcoholic drink to get drunk or buzzed or whatever term you lik.,e