Notices

Scared

Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Hello,

I'm posting here out of despersation and hope something good comes out of it. I can't believe I've gotten to this point, but my drinking is insanely out of control during the weekends. I can't get over the guilt and shame over the things I do while drinking yet I repeat the cycle and feel powerless. It's an awful feeling and I need to quit.

I'm still learning to navigate this forum but I am hoping this will be a good tool for me. I need to be held accountable for staying sober and I realize I can't do it alone.

It feels good to get that all out even if it's anonymously online.

I'm hoping to become sober in my future here.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Nos4r2

I hope you can find a solution here. There is certainly diverse experience to be found.

If when you drink you have little control over the amount you take and if when you honestly want to, you find you cannot stop entirely, you are probably alcoholic.

How does that compare to your experience?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you found us.

You arrive in the same state that so many do. Full of fear and shame, and seemingly trapped in a cycle where drinking is now not just a solution, but where it seems that it is The Solution and The Prolem as well. Thing is, our lives do get better when alcohol is removed from the equation and we work on our recovery. Being sober and working on recovery are two seperate things by the way. Being Just Sober is painful, insanity making, and generally unsustainable for most people. It is the recovery work that makes sobriety comfortable, happy, and eventually preferable to drinking. But that all probably seems quite fantastical right now.

For now I'd suggest reading round the site, and staying sober hour by hour. Don't try to look to how you'll stay sober next weekend, or for your birthday, or Christmas or next year. Just focus on Now. (If we have one foot in the past and the other in the future, guess what're likely to do all over today!)

Why not do a google search and check out the AA meetings in your area. That's been another amazing source of support and advice for me personally.

You can remember common drinking triggers by HALT which stands for Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. I'd suggest planning your day in such a way to avoid these.

No doubt you will have a heavy conscience regarding some things you have done and said. That is kind of par for the course. Please try not to think about those things for now. That is not the same as dismissing them or forgetting them. Just that these things are best dealt with later on, with the benefit of some sober time and a clearer perspective. It will be easier to deal with those things properly later on. Maybe weeks away. Maybe months or years. Once we are sober and healthy we can do all kinds of things we never imagined was possible. Even clearing away the wreckage of our past; being someone we like, trust and respect; and getting over past hurts and harms done to us.

Welcome.
I wish you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a very special place. I don't know what I would do without it. Stick close, hold nothing back, and I hope you make this place your virtual sober home.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Nos4r2. SR is indeed a place where you will find a lot of support and a lot of information about the various ways people have gone about getting ( and staying ) sober. I hope you can stick around and learn/talk with us about how things are going.

Know too that you are definitely not alone in how you feel - almost all of us got to the point where alcohol became too overwhelming to deal with on our own. And it's absolutely OK to ask for help.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi its a vicious cycle, but with help and support here, I already feel not alone, I hear you with the shame and guilt, but hang on in there and lets all live a happier and more fulfilled life
Old 07-24-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I just joined today because I want to stop and this site looks to have great people and support.

Use it for everything!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard! You will find a lot of support and information here. When I joined SR, I came to the site feeling just like you. I began coming to this site multiple times per day to read and post. By doing so, I have learned an valuable information a bout this disease and how to formulate a plan by using tools that keep me from picking up that first drink. Today I have over 5 months of sobriety and I feel better than I have for years! If I can do it, you can too!

Wishing you the best on your recovery!
Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's such a relief to get these replies and to realize I am not alone in my experiences/feelings. Thank you all. I'm hoping to rely on this site to keep me on track.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Most of us feel tremendous shame and guilt when we put down alcohol. I had what's called "the gift of desperation" when I crawled through the doors of AA. But the support was tremendous and I couldn't have stayed sober -- since 1991 -- without it. Big hug!