Notices

psychiatric hospital

Old 07-20-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Once 10 months. First time 4 months. A few short stays here and there. Nothing but good experiences. It's nothing like the movies.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Chill,

My alky coworker is beginning to scare me.

He starts to flip out in seconds over things that seem so small.

I have gotten to the point of not saying a word to him unless it is for business.

Sometimes I fear he will lash out at me if the opportunity is right.

We used to be drunk together and now I am clean.

I have loyalty to him, but I get tired of tippy toeing around his inconsistent personality.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Not good!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Chilledice - I have experience with a short stay in a psych ward here in the States, and it was overall a positive experience. I was involuntary, and it helped me to be locked up somewhere for a while. It was actually more helpful for me than the rehab was.

All of the groups were voluntary. There was no hard timeline hanging over my head on when I would leave. The food wasn't bad. The staff were very skilled and kind. One of the nurses even let me and two other patients take a look at the padded room just to see what it was like. The doctor was quite intelligent, and knew what he was talking about. The female nurses were all smoking hot, which I found surprising. I assumed they would look like linebackers and speak with a thick Russian accent. It was a good place to de-stress where I had no responsibilities whatsoever.

As far as the other patients went, we had everything from old ladies with dementia to suicides to schizophrenics. There were some of the schizophrenics that I definitely kept at a distance. On a couple occasions there were patients that attacked the staff, and things got interesting. The hospital would send guards to the floor, shoot them up with Haldol, and restrain them. One patient was masturbating to one of the nurses when she was doing a room check. He wouldn't stop when she told him to. The nurse didn't appreciate his attention, and he got the Haldol / restraints therapy. I never saw a patient attack another patient during my stay though.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but that was my experience.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dude that last paragraph
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My mother has always been a nurse in psych hospitals. One would close due to state funding cuts, and she would be transferred to the next, and finally she has been working for the VA hospital with the dementia people, although they will occasionally send a schizophrenic or two.

But needless to say she has her fair share of horror stories, from being carried down the hall by a patient who wanted to baptize her in a bathtub, while all her coworkers watched and laughed (mind you she was a big girl, so I can imagine how strong this person was), to going to check on a patient in solitary who waved hello to her through the tiny window, before calmly pulling out his eyeball and placing it on the window sill.

Until she told me those stories, I thought I had an interest in working in psych. lol
Old 07-21-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
My mother has always been a nurse in psych hospitals. One would close due to state funding cuts, and she would be transferred to the next, and finally she has been working for the VA hospital with the dementia people, although they will occasionally send a schizophrenic or two.

But needless to say she has her fair share of horror stories, from being carried down the hall by a patient who wanted to baptize her in a bathtub, while all her coworkers watched and laughed (mind you she was a big girl, so I can imagine how strong this person was), to going to check on a patient in solitary who waved hello to her through the tiny window, before calmly pulling out his eyeball and placing it on the window sill.

Until she told me those stories, I thought I had an interest in working in psych. lol
There is zero chance of me harming anyone.........I MIGHT steal chocolate tho lol :p