Lexie's No-Freakout Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Medical stuff can be confusing. No worries.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Lexie, I sent you a PM also. Not to be an alarmist, but it's good that you're keeping an eye on the details. During my time working as a transcriptionist, I learned that as much as we'd like to think that the medical world is somehow more perfect than the everyday world, it really isn't. There are all kinds of mistakes and miscommunications. People can't be reached or don't respond. Being as involved as you can is really important.

You had also mentioned at one point that your former boss was going to be with you for at least part of your stay even though you didn't think it was necessary. I went into more detail in your PM, but I think it IS important that you have someone responsible and trusted to be your advocate when you may be too out of it or too tired to look out for yourself. Docs and nurses are human and one more set of eyes/ears/brain watching and communicating about what's going on is a good thing.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

For sure... have someone make sure the Sharpie "X" is on the correct thing or on the correct side. Just heard of a recent lawsuit due to surgeon removing the "wrong" testical of some poor guy 😳.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL, my last ex had testicular cancer, but given that the affected one was blown up to the size of a softball, there wasn't much chance of that particular mistake (though trust me, he worried about it).
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I second honeypig's suggestion. You want an advocate there to catch the small details. Chances are, your medical staff will be wonderful, but many times they are stretched to the limit. I once caught my dad's nurses giving a specific medication immediately after his lunch when the instructions specifically said not to take it at meal time.

If you can get away with it, bring some earplugs. Sometimes those pings and dings can really get annoying and sometimes you'll get stuck with a fussy alarm that won't shut up (which is another reason why an advocate is a good idea.). Don't be like my mom, who, as a former physician, took it upon herself to shut up her monitors. She also liked to mess around with her saline drip without telling the nurses. That really went over well.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
A work in progress

She'll be there all day I think. I am pretty good at being a squeaky wheel after that.

Oh, and I just bought noise-canceling headphones a few months ago--already on my list of things to bring.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Again, I'm glad you've got some practical things in place to make your stay better and your recovery more comfortable, like those headphones and the pillow you mentioned. PH speaks the truth about staff being stretched to the limit in many cases.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK, so the good news is that I have the VERY FIRST slot tomorrow morning--I have to be at the hospital by 6, surgery scheduled for 7:30, should be done by 10-10:30. Told my colleagues I might be just a LITTLE bit late for our weekly online staff meeting at 11. LOL, one of my colleagues sat in on an interview for someone we were considering hiring while she was still drugged up for back surgery. She forgot to mute her phone, and DURING THE INTERVIEW someone came into her room and she started babbling about the interview process. We were desperately chatting her to SHUT UP and mute herself, and we finally ended the call and re-started without her. The poor guy getting interviewed picked right back up without missing a beat, which got him props (and, ultimately, the job!). Not a bad test of grace under pressure.

Got all my legal stuff squared away (will updated, advance directive, all that--which I'd been meaning to do for a few years but hadn't gotten around to). Cleaned up the house last week, stocked up on some easy food to prepare (thank god for microwaves), just finishing up a couple small things for work today. It's been good to stay busy. I've been a bit anxious the past several days, but nothing unmanageable. I've had a bit less patience than normal, and I'm suddenly VERY conscious of every breath I'm taking.

Had to sell tickets for two concerts--one for next week (sold for about half of what I paid) and trying to sell one for the following week.

And just yesterday I bought ANOTHER pair of Fluevogs (used, from the Fluemarket). I've always liked this particular little style, and when it turned up in my size I nabbed it. After I bought them, it occurred to me--the "shoe family" is called "Living" and the style is "Evers." So that's GOTTA be a good omen, right?

Hoping that by Tues eve I might be back at home, but if not, then Wed. I don't like hanging around hospitals any longer than necessary.

Appreciate all the good thoughts/wishes--hp and Anvil will keep everyone up to speed.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

yup, that is EXACTLY what i'd do before surgery......buy SHOES! lol

glad this all gets underway bright and early, i'm sure you are pre-packing and getting everything staged and ready. we'll all be tucked in your suitcase, purse and pockets, don't you worry!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
And just yesterday I bought ANOTHER pair of Fluevogs (used, from the Fluemarket). I've always liked this particular little style, and when it turned up in my size I nabbed it. After I bought them, it occurred to me--the "shoe family" is called "Living" and the style is "Evers." So that's GOTTA be a good omen, right?
OBVIOUSLY a sign from the gods, Lexie--no doubt in my mind!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
yup, that is EXACTLY what i'd do before surgery......buy SHOES! lol
Hey, I'll have you know that buying shoes isn't the only thing I did yesterday. There was a burned out lightbulb in my range hood. The bulb would NOT screw out, so I wound up disassembling the range hood, unscrewing the bulbs from the inside, trip to Lowe's to buy replacement bulbs, and reassembling the range hood. The rocker switch seems to be on its last legs so I ordered a new on online--a simple project I can tackle after my recovery.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Very best wishes to you, LexieCat
Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Ooh the Evers! Good choice! Prayers and good energy out for you today, that you'll be ready to cut a rug in those new shoes in no time!