Notices

Waking up in panic

Old 04-23-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Waking up in panic

Does anyone else first wake up with a panic feeling that you went out the night before and that your hungover when you didn't? Iv had it all week, it's the in between being awake and asleep stage it's freaking me out.
Lpg
Old 04-23-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I oftern wake up- 15 months sobewr and feel as if I have done something wrong or something will happen which will be bad. My brain going into drinking default state. I remind myself I am okay, safe and have done nothing wrong. Also HALTS.
Support to you.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Lpg,

I used to get waves of fear or terror that would rush through my body.

They would jar me out of sleep and leave me w an adrenaline shot.

Sucked.

Since I quit drinking...they stopped.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did that a few times, especially after a vivid drinking dream. It's intense but it passes in a little while

D
Old 04-23-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I was born with anxiety. Tried to self medicate with alcohol...but once that was removed the anxiety was still there. So even sober...I wake up once in awhile with horrible thoughts. I am a what iffer. What if this happened...what if that happened. Then blow it up to catastrophic proportions. Not sure how to fix it! I pray when it comes up. Or meditate a good thought over and over in my head. I think a lot of alcoholics have something mental going on in the background. I think trauma starts us drinking. BUT who am I to think...
Old 04-23-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
I think I was born with anxiety. Tried to self medicate with alcohol...but once that was removed the anxiety was still there. So even sober...I wake up once in awhile with horrible thoughts. I am a what iffer. What if this happened...what if that happened. Then blow it up to catastrophic proportions. Not sure how to fix it! I pray when it comes up. Or meditate a good thought over and over in my head. I think a lot of alcoholics have something mental going on in the background. I think trauma starts us drinking. BUT who am I to think...
I think this is very true, drink to solve your problems, cause more problems because of drink to drink again to block out the new problems. I have anxiety also so tackling this also would be an idea.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lpg - for sure I've been there!! I also have really intense dreams, and sometimes I worry that something wasn't a dream, but in fact happened when I was in a black out. It takes a bit for our body chemistry to go back to normal... And I definitely developed serious anxiety issues as my drinking got worse. I had never had anxiety prior to it being associated with alcohol abuse... Really glad I finally made the connection!! I'm sure it will pass
Old 04-23-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lpg

It's sure scary I keep waking up thinking NO NO NO I've done it again and already thinking how the f*ck did that happen.... then realising I'm safe at, home sober and haven't touch a drop.... And I'll be honest when I realise it's the best moment and feeling of relief ever. Hopefully it passes soon. At a family party right now and everyone drinking.... Can't wait to get home.