Notices

Day 4 fail

Old 03-30-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep posting. There are others out there that are going through the exact same struggle as you.

I'm new to all his and reading other people's stories that are similar to mine has been quite comforting. While my struggle is slightly different than yours, you are certainly not alone.

I think a few of these members that have been sober for a very long time forget how hard it was. Hang in there!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"When your ship is taking on water it is not the time to jump overboard. It is the time to grab a bucket"

Find the resolve in you. Do it for You!! Be selfish!! And everyone here has quit many times before it stuck. You're not the odd duck, you're the norm. Keep at it we're not going anywhere.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SoberNunn, we are all rootin for ya.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Keep coming back SoberNunn. In my short time in recovery the people that remind me the most of my personal struggles are those new/early/relapse in recovery. This is a deadly disease for all of us, it will kill us. Most of us are passionate about what works for us and want to share with others.

Good luck and many prayers..

Something to consider, this forum is world wide. Therefore we have many cultural and language differences among the membership.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Oh my gosh don't go SoberNunn! The best part about us, is that none of us quit once. I am only on day 15, I have failed quitting SO many times. Stay here, nobody is judging you for relapsing...we all are going through it or have gone through it. We love you and support you! xoxoxo
Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow. Thanks everyone. I'm feeling very humbled by all these responses. I guess I better stick around
Old 03-30-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Youd better stay!!! Youve helped me let me help you :-) us mums stick together xxxxx
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are staying SoberNunn
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good for you
Old 03-30-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Also, everyone here is pretty amazing. I think I can be a bit over sensitive sometimes too. I think there's a major element of shame for me too as I keep falling off the wagon. I've found that although I'm drinking less often I am drinking much more on the occasions I do. Hence there is a lot of guilt.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
Also, everyone here is pretty amazing. I think I can be a bit over sensitive sometimes too. I think there's a major element of shame for me too as I keep falling off the wagon. I've found that although I'm drinking less often I am drinking much more on the occasions I do. Hence there is a lot of guilt.
So glad you decided to stay SoberNunn! As so many here have stated, we all struggle every single day with our sobriety, you are not ever alone. I would have to assume that the majority of us have relapsed...many times! Quite honestly, I've always thought that relapse is just part of recovery. As long as we don't stop fighting the fight, we win!

Hang in there and God bless!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

SoberNunn, I am so happy you are staying with us on our journey together :-)
Old 03-31-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Please stop by the 24 hour connections thread and start your day on the right foot!
Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think there's a major element of shame for me too as I keep falling off the wagon

part of that could be because you never get all the way ON the wagon, with a good secure seat and a nice snug seatbelt. if you're riding in the back and the wagon hits a couple of bumps, it's easy to fall off!

it's the whole Yoda thing about try and do.

here's a big secret. it's really a LOT easier to STAY quit than to keep TRYING to quit. once you commit, that's it! no means no. not today, not tonite, not because it's raining, or i'm thirsty, or someone yelled at me, or i feel sad, glad, depressed, tearful, joyful, not because of cramps, or birthdays, or burnt lasagne. not if it's given to me for free. not if i want to, or think i want to. NO MORE EXCUSES, PERIOD.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Great post. Thanks Anvilhead
Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Tough Love?

I'm new around here (well back after a ten year absence) but I find the concept of tough love that some veterans advocate counter intuitive? Isn't it true that we all have to commit to giving up completely by our own volition? I don't think I have read about, or met a person, who quit because a tough message was put forth?

On a similar note - and specific to this section of the forum - this is "Newcomers to Recovery". The people posting in here are exactly that and a lot of us will slip as we seek to find peace in total long term sobriety. Some of us will fail and post as much. Some of us will graduate to other sections of the forum perhaps? What I would say is that any veteran who gets frustrated with people that "don't seem to be getting the message" then this perhaps isn't the place for you to be? Because you're going to see one hell of a lot of people that are more disappointed in themselves than you're ever going to be in them.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
I'm new around here (well back after a ten year absence) but I find the concept of tough love that some veterans advocate counter intuitive? Isn't it true that we all have to commit to giving up completely by our own volition? I don't think I have read about, or met a person, who quit because a tough message was put forth?

On a similar note - and specific to this section of the forum - this is "Newcomers to Recovery". The people posting in here are exactly that and a lot of us will slip as we seek to find peace in total long term sobriety. Some of us will fail and post as much. Some of us will graduate to other sections of the forum perhaps? What I would say is that any veteran who gets frustrated with people that "don't seem to be getting the message" then this perhaps isn't the place for you to be? Because you're going to see one hell of a lot of people that are more disappointed in themselves than you're ever going to be in them.
So true Tony. Nobody is going to be harder on me then I'm already being on myself. I do feel like everytime I fall down my resolve to beat this thing gets stronger. Day 2 today.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

SN- just make sure the tough self-love is balanced out with reminding yourself of the good stuff you and achieve when sober. Guilt and shame, anger and resentments can be huge triggers.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I felt like that too when I joined in 2013. But it's not like that here on SR. I've relapsed time and time again... Yes it's hard to admit it because everyone gives such amazing advice and it's almost like we let them down when we just don't listen. But that's not the case. And most people here know that addiction isn't just about not listening, it's way deeper than that. Keep trying. Never give up. No matter what. Get comfortable on here and know that the majority of members aren't judging you at all. And most everyone here is here for the same reasons. There are also likely alot of members here that also relapse and may not have the courage to post about it and can really use your honesty to help them with their own problem. xoxo