Notices

First sober event.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober event.

Tonight I went out to my best friend's Jack and Jill at a bar. I had been very anxious about going to an event like this when I've only recently quit, but I had an obligation as her maid of honor. I'd been helping her plan it and not everything is about me.... it would have let her down to bail.

However it was a total success! I had planned out in my mind how I was going to handle it and then I did what I'd planned. I didn't drink and I didn't miss it and I had a good time. No problemo. I showed up early to help set up and gambled and was in charge of some of the gambling. I had pop to drink and some really yummy food and caught up with a bunch of people. Once the raffling was over and all everyone was going to do was continue partying I said my goodbyes. My friend did say to me when I was saying goodbye, "What you're leaving? But your my maid of honor!" and she looked really puzzled. I feel a bit bad now for not telling her that I'd quit drinking and that this was my plan...... but I'll give her a call tomorrow, hopefully she understands.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Zen- in action and name. Be proud! You made a plan- changed your thinking and behaviour. You do not HAVE to offer excuses- but sharing sobriety is not a shameful thing. You were a maid- with honour. Thanks for the share.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, Zen. Always good to have a plan in place.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phoenix, yeah it's not that I'm ashamed per say, more that it just feels really personal right now..... I'm not ready to make any big announcements. I am firm in my plan to never drink again but it just doesn't feel right tell people, I don't know why but it just doesn't. Maybe because they've heard it all before only for me to return to drinking. I'd rather show people. I do feel like perhaps I owed my friend a proper explanation though.....
Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!! Yay for you!!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Glad you had a nice time ( knew you could )
Keep your resolve , (know you can ) , I don't think you need much sweat the ancillary stuff re telling, discussing , the BP is the thing and it's yours so you get to make the rules
Old 03-26-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job!!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My boyfriend rolled in after 3am and he's hung right over. But not me! I feel great

Last night I won a tea set in the raffle which is exactly what I was hoping to win, I've been wanting a little tea pot! It's really pretty. Most people put their tickets in the baskets with wine or beer so that helped up my odds lol

I was talking to a guy last night who was quite drunk and he was telling me how he's a functional alcoholic, he was laughing about it and I get that, I used to joke about being an alcoholic too. Try to make light of it, I think people have to so they can live with themselves, otherwise you might have to do something about it.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear zenchaser.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done ZC for making a good plan and sticking to it -- knew you could
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So someone's parent at the party last night noticed that I wasn't drinking (most people didn't and I never mentioned anything to anyone) and this person asked other people about it? Makes me feel really funny that I was gossiped about for not drinking...... it's weird. Why would someone watch me enough to even notice and then why would they care enough to inquire? WTH?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through ok, Zen.

In my experience gossips are usually unhappy people looking to 'embiggen' themselves by, subtly or not, tearing others down.

Humans..whaddya gonna do?

I dunno about you but I'd rather be gossiped about for not drinking than any of the things I did when drunk in public
Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Zen, you're a shining star! I'm so very pleased for you. You must feel proud!

Forget the 'enquirer' likely they have a drink problem and are jealous......heck, who wants to presume their motive, it matters not - what matters is YOU and you're doing the right thing, very well indeed.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dee74 Ain't that the truth!! HA!