Notices

Taking another shot at it!!!

Old 03-25-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking another shot at it!!!

Hi all, I'm back and nice to see some familiar folks!!! Just a quick background. I categorize myself as a functional alcoholic. No rock bottom (yet), no missed work, no DWI's (just luck) and no major marital/family issues. However, many years of heavy drinking have taken a toll on my mind and body, as well as prevented me from being the person I can be. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired! Simple as that! Over the past 10 or so years, I quit for two months, another time for four months, then again for three months. I enjoy sobriety each time, but ALWAYS think I’m “missing the fun” and I can be a "normal" drinker. Well ya know what, I can't! I’m hoping I am now convinced of that and will not attempt moderation again.

At any rate, I just wanted to check in. I’m thankful for SR being the supportive site it is and all the good people who make that so! I am very glad to be back!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it!!!

And let me tell ya, having gone well past the "no rock bottom", "no missed work", "No DUIs" stage...... TRUST ME; you really don't want to need that as your catalyst.

Focus on the goodness, the greatness, the depth and abundance you can have in life with sobriety.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Betterlife. I was very similar to you with, I did not have a big life changing moment, but I got sick of not being 100% all the time. I have just about 15 months sober, and life has been so much better.

I'm glad you are here!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BetterLife,

I'm glad you're back and working on recovery

It's good to remember that stopping drinking is one thing, and staying sober is another. As you said, you feel like you're missing the fun, so it's time to set out making lifestyle changes to support your recovery. Maybe you can start a new hobby, or get involved in sports, do some volunteer work in your community (also a good way to make new sober friends). You can create fun and enjoyable times in your life.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Final acknowledgement and acceptance are absolute necessities to achieving lasting sobriety and recovery.

Congratulations.

With true recovery, you will find that you are missing nothing!!!!

Welcome back, Betterlife.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm also like you in that I hadn't hit rock bottom or had any legal issues or anything like that. I was just sick of feeling like crap all the time, tired of the hangovers. And frankly the drinking wasn't even working like it used to.... I was getting depressed and morose when I was drunk. Where's the "fun" in that? The truth is is that having some sober time ruins you from drinking alcoholically.... once you know how good you can feel without why would you want to continue making yourself feel like garbage?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Betterlife1 View Post
I enjoy sobriety each time, but ALWAYS think I’m “missing the fun”
If you view sobriety as a punishment, and that you are being deprived of the "fun" of drinking...you will drink again.

Recovery isn't just about not drinking. It's about embracing the sober life. Not everyone is prepared for the change that brings. Are you?
Old 03-25-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

ALWAYS think I’m “missing the fun”
is it really fun tho? drinking stopped being fun for me decades before I quit.

I've heard it expressed as FOMO Fear Of Missing Out and thats exactly what it really is - Fear.

We fear change, and we fear we'll lose out from that change.

There's about a 100 thousand folks here who can assure you that noone would stay sober if they lost out on the deal.

I have more fun now than I ever dis drinking, and active social life, and I follow my dreams. I never wake up ashamed but not remembering the night before and I never have to cancel things because I'm too drunk to do them.

As a drinker I waited to die...now I wake full of the promise of a new day, and I look forward to whatever my future brings.

I look at my niece and nephew and wonder when the heck did they become adults.

I was actually missing out on nearly everything as a drinker - Ironic.

D
Old 03-25-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you betterlife. Glad to see your back. I was just like you in that I didn't have any rock bottom moments. I would have said awhile back that I was functioning too. Now with some sober time I know I wasn't. A sober life is far better.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate the feedback and support!! Doggone Carl and Dee..you are so correct. I do need to continually reinforce my belief that drinking is not fun. Im not missing out by not drinking. I'm missing everything by drinking! I have been listening to Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" audiobook. It's my second or third time doing so. I like his approach and helps the listener come to the realization that alcohol provides zero benefits whatsoever!! I just need to keep driving the point home.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is my first post on this forum so I hope I am not breaking any rules...

Betterlife1,

Thank you very much for posting the below... you and I are essentially the same person.

I wish you the best on your road to recovery!!!

I just started on my road to recovery this weekend and your post was very encouraging to me.

Like you "..many years of heavy drinking have taken a toll on my mind and body, as well as prevented me from being the person I can be. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired! Simple as that!" so I look forward to better days ahead for all of us on this forum.

Thanks again.

Soldano

Originally Posted by Betterlife1 View Post
Hi all, I'm back and nice to see some familiar folks!!! Just a quick background. I categorize myself as a functional alcoholic. No rock bottom (yet), no missed work, no DWI's (just luck) and no major marital/family issues. However, many years of heavy drinking have taken a toll on my mind and body, as well as prevented me from being the person I can be. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired! Simple as that! Over the past 10 or so years, I quit for two months, another time for four months, then again for three months. I enjoy sobriety each time, but ALWAYS think I’m “missing the fun” and I can be a "normal" drinker. Well ya know what, I can't! I’m hoping I am now convinced of that and will not attempt moderation again.

At any rate, I just wanted to check in. I’m thankful for SR being the supportive site it is and all the good people who make that so! I am very glad to be back!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

How are you doing today, Betterlife?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Courage2. All is well! Thanks so much for asking! AV is a little rough sometimes. But overall doing great!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all is well BetterLife

a belated welcome SoldanoHotRod50 - feel free to start your own thread if you like - you'll get more responses that way

D
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Soldano! Glad you enjoyed the post!! Best of luck on your journey!! Stay strong and we can be in this together!!