Notices

A very sad sight

Old 03-25-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A very sad sight

When I was taking my young son to school one day this week, I saw someone lying in bushes just outside the school gate. I approached to find it was a woman of about my age and she was inebriated. As I was offering to help her, another couple of mums came over, one of whom seemed to know her and the other was explaining to me that they had seen her earlier 'staggering about'. She was disdainful and talking about her as if she was somehow 'other'. The woman who knew her offered to take her home.

To me, the woman was not 'other', she was just like me. The sad and tragic sight of a woman drunk and collapsed outside a primary school at 8.30 in the morning. It could be me.

I work in healthcare and have seen many horrific outcomes of alcohol in my career in a&e and acute surgery, but witnessing this incident at this time in my life is the strongest 'message' I have received.

If I had witnessed this a month ago, I would have told my husband about it at night, over wine, getting drunker and drunker, saying how sad it was and how I was going to stop drinking.

I stopped drinking four weeks ago and am starting to participate in my own life rather than be a passenger in a life fuelled by alcohol. Thank you to everyone here for the knowledge you share which provides so much help and strength. I think about the woman outside the school and hope that she finds help and strength and gets well.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We also could so easily be that woman (or man) Carly.

Thanks for trying to help here. I hope she'll find her way as so many of us have

Congrats on your own moves forward tho - thats terrific

D
Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I watch the show "Cops" all of the time. Whereas some people I know laugh at the people getting into trouble, I always feel sad knowing that their crazy behavior could easily be me as well if drunk.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was at an AA Spiritual meeting. Aman came in- barely able to walk. Iwent into my nurse mode and did the DR-ABC bit in my head- just in case. He was that bad. Most tolerated/ignored. He then got under the main table groaning. I went to the chair of the meeting rto basically say I though he needed help- an ambulance. The chair said he is drunk and is not allowed here- do you thin kyou could mamge to get himj out? With the help of another guy we helped him out. The other guy was a health professional who knew him. I asked if was all good being left with the nearly comatosed guy- he said yep.
Another time I saw a guy- homeless and drunk lying across the sidewalk in the city, I assume drunk. Most walked around. I did the DR- ABC again. His breathing was regular. My sainthood does not go so far as to rescue beyond that- but since my own plight, I will always check to make sure people are okay. A few others as well. So I think it is good you noticed that lady and had empathy for her.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Showing care, compassion, understanding.
I'll go for that. Thank you for sharing and
as a good reminder that this disease doesn't
discriminate anyone and affects so many.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Wow, that is a very powerful message. I am so pleased you and others were there to care for her. I hope she can find peace and serenity in her life without alcohol....as many have.

Well done on a month sober!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
I stopped drinking four weeks ago and am starting to participate in my own life rather than be a passenger in a life fuelled by alcohol.
That is a very descriptive comment on sobriety.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

When I drank I never connect someone else's drinking with my own. I would watch Intervention and see no connection between those people and myself. Weird what alcohol/addiction does to the mind. Now I am so empathetic to addicts and have such profound sadness for them when I see them on the streets. It almost makes me glad I was an addict.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Duane- compassion and empathy surely are signs of growth, being able to look outside ourselves. An achievement for any one with addiction.
Old dogs CAN and DO learn new ways.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope she does too, Carly.

One of the gifts of my alcoholism is the compassion that it has brought me. I used to be someone who judged. I have learned that my judgements came from a place of fear and I much prefer compassion.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post! I used to be that person laying in the weeds with a bottle. My life was truly unmanageable. There is a solution and i thank my higher power for that!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

But by the grace of God there go I.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In cold climates passing out like that outside can be a death sentence.
My sister works in the ER and there a frozen corpse brought in at least every week. Inebriated and passed out in subfreezing temps.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Another guy I know- 26, drugs. His dad was/is a top executive for an international communications company. He is homeless, helped him a few times with stuff. Had all the opportunities- still does (according to him) for family support- but he just keeps on partying on (?).
Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Praying for that woman, Carly, and great job on 4 weeks, girl! ❤️
Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's where my drinking was headed.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post CG.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"But by the grace of God there go I."

Yup..

You're dead on MIRecovery.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Another guy I know- 26, drugs. His dad was/is a top executive for an international communications company. He is homeless, helped him a few times with stuff. Had all the opportunities- still does (according to him) for family support- but he just keeps on partying on (?).
That for me is terrifying. That easily could have been me.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hope this is a wake up call for her. It could have easily been me too.

Congratulations on 4 weeks!!