Notices

Just over a year in...........

Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just over a year in...........

Well this is my first post to any kind of a forum; so forgive me.

I have been in recovery for 1 year 1 month 13 days. I wish the last 6 months were like the first. It would seem that I have been inundated with almost uncontrollable anxiety. I seem to manage most days pretty well but some days I feel like the whole world is crashing down around me and I cannot do anything about it. I know it will pass but that doesn't always reassure me. I pray and read to help alleviate my fears but that doesn't always help. What I do find amazing is how it can come on out of nowhere.

Why I am here is for two simple reasons; I would like advice from any willing to give it and I am here to give support and get support. Look forward to conversing.

Have a blessed day,
J
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery. I also deal with anxiety and panic attacks, and have since my teenage days. You can find healthy ways to help you deal with anxiety. One tip is to be aware of your body, bring your mind back to your body - feel the fabric of your shirt, feel the breeze on your face, feel the warmth of your sweater. This will help to ground you. Following are some good books on how to manage anxiety:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety
Old 02-22-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jcb9004 and congratulations on your year

If you're finding it debilitating, have you considered seeing a professional about it?

D
Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Jcb. I would suggest seeing a professional about the anxiety. I get it, because I have it. I wear it like a coat. It sucks.
Take care- PJ
Old 02-22-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 1 year

in aa we have a tool called service to others

gets us out of ourselves

the book says the root of our trouble is selfish/ self centered thinking

Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A year is fantastic!

Anxiety is horrid, I know how you feel. Have you been diagnosed? Generalized anxiety disorder?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My PCP has me on Buspar; low dose of 15mg a day. I have not yet seen a psych doc. I was on Zoloft at first after I first started my recovery and I felt like I was disconnected from reality. My wife said I was like a "zombie". So we went on to Buspar. It was fine for about 2-3 months then the roller coaster ride started. My PCP said to increase the dose and it did not help. I have not found a trigger it really seems to be at random.

I do sometimes feel that the election nonsense may have "jolted" me a little because of the strong opposition from both sides. The back and forth name calling and bickering seems to have set me off a little. It may have just been so long since I was sober that I don't remember feelings being like this. I know most say that it will get better with time but sometimes I feel that it is getting worse with time. I have also heard continuing to take the Buspsar when not needed can cause the anxiety to worsen. I go back in a few weeks and will discuss with my doc and see.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Have a Blessed Day.

Regards,
J