Notices

Countdown to Day 1?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
There is ALWAYS a reason to put off stopping drinking. Start now, today, and begin to change your life.
Yep.

And- to take it one step further, perhaps do not go on this weekend. Nothing is more important than my sobriety and- especially in early days- I did absolutely nothing, put myself nowhere, and was around no one who didn't support that. I still live in a smartly constructed shell (in my personal life and choices) while engaging in the real world (I go out to eat and I even work in a restaurant!) - and I have one year and one day (so far) sober.

You alone can decide you won't drink anymore, and stick with that decision. No one else matters.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm worried that you think not going to bars and not drinking beer is a good sign. Sounds to me as though you can't afford to drink in the quantity you want to in a bar and the beer doesn't get you drunk enough so you've escalated into drinking spirits and wine (which is much stronger than beer) at home. You said you're still researching AA. At AA meetings and I hear plenty of people with a similar drinking pattern to the one you described and which I recognise from my own experience. It's easier to get a different perspective when you join a group discussion.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sportdeck203 View Post
I first stopped on dec 17th, then I thought oh yeah what about Vegas in March? We are going to Vegas for my wife's friends bday, 18 of us going and it was booked way before I decided to stop, so I told myself this is a break, I won't drink until Vegas, but then all bets are off, well it's now 30 days until we leave for Vegas and I already made up my mind a long time ago there is no way I'm drinking then, I think in the early days tho the thought of being able to drink then somehow helped me keep going and stay sober just by telling myself it was only a break and it's not like I could never drink again, but after about the 3rd week I made up my mind that I can't drink again.

I totally understand what your going through thinking about making your first sober weekend the same time as a vacation, that's a tough one for sure, but you can do it, and you have to be brutally honest about it with your husband and friends in my opinion, I told everyone I know on day 3 that I stopped drinking and they can either support my decision or get lost, I thought it would be way harder but to my surprise everyone has my back, and I never told anyone they can't drink just because I'm not, go on and have your fun, but for me I just can't do it anymore, this is about me not anyone else, you can do it and it will get easier all the time.

I didn't find this place till day 48, I wish I had found it sooner, I enjoy reading people's stories and learning from everyone here, good luck and I'm sure you'll still have a great weekend.

By the way about your gastric bypass surgery, all I've done different in the last 66 days is not drink on the weekends and I've lost 27 pounds already, nice little insentive to keep going.
Thank you for sharing that about Vegas! I'm glad you made up your mind not to drink and I'm glad I've made up my mind, too.

I think you're right about being totally honest with my husband and friends. I thought about it a lot overnight and this AM, and then it dawned on me - why am I so worried about telling them?? This is literally the group of people who are my BEST friends in the world. If they don't understand and support me (which I am sure they will), who will?

I am so thankful for SR and for people who are sharing with me, encouraging me, and just in general being people who "get it".
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenofheartz09 View Post
Maybe if you don't buy any booze and opt out of the winery/ brew house tour you and your husband could get away just the two of you one of the days on vacation and use the money you saved for a couples message or dinner together?
This is a really fantastic idea! I'll pitch it to him - I think he'd go for it

Having two toddlers, we don't get a ton of alone time, so it would be great to spend some quality time together!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
I have to admit I'm of two minds on this. I see that you posted, in BOLD, that you aren't going to drink on your vacation. I think that's fantastic! If you are committed to that and you have made up your mind, you can absolutely do it.

I know for me that I wouldn't have been able to quit for the first time in that environment. You have already said you aren't going to cancel the trip, which I totally understand. Others will disagree with this, but I'm more in agreement with Rich88. My advice would be to talk to your husband about your concerns. Let him know you don't want to be drunk and hung over the whole trip. Set your date, after your trip, but don't let it be an excuse to throw caution to the wind and binge on your vacation. If you do that you could end up doing what I did on my last trip with friends and end up not remembering much of it.

This is only my opinion. Others here have a lot more sober time and their advice is valuable. I will add that I joined SR when I was your age, it took me ten years to totally commit to never drinking again. You don't have to follow that path. I hope you have a safe, happy, healthy vacation.

EDIT: I'm editing this post without deleting what I originally wrote because I think it's OK to admit I was wrong. I just read all the comments on the second page. I'm excited for you just imagining how great you will feel after a three day vacation relaxing and not putting any poison in your body. You CAN do it, and you will be so happy you did. Welcome to the SR family.
When I posted this question, I was definitely in the mindset that you originally comment with. That was my intention, for sure - try to drink moderately and then start fresh when I come back.

After reading all the support, advice and encouragement here, I decided that I can go for it.

I thank you for your support, and I don't think you were "wrong" in your original reply. I think so much of this is very hard to navigate. Thanks for sharing some of your experience with me, I appreciate it!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learninganew View Post
I'm worried that you think not going to bars and not drinking beer is a good sign. Sounds to me as though you can't afford to drink in the quantity you want to in a bar and the beer doesn't get you drunk enough so you've escalated into drinking spirits and wine (which is much stronger than beer) at home. You said you're still researching AA. At AA meetings and I hear plenty of people with a similar drinking pattern to the one you described and which I recognise from my own experience. It's easier to get a different perspective when you join a group discussion.
Thank you for your perspective. A little explanation - I have never been a beer drinker, it doesn't have much to do with how drunk I can get off of it. It's what most people start with as teenagers, which I did, too, but quickly found I simply do not like the taste, and haven't had it since I was maybe 19 or 20. Wine and whiskey isn't so much of an escalation as just what I prefer. I don't drink any other spirits, and only drink a few types of wine. I'm not much of a "drink whatever I can to get drunk" person. In fact, when I am at a social event that doesn't have something I like, I abstain.

As far as bars go, it also doesn't have much to do with affordability, but the fact that I live in a very rural area, and there are few bars here. The ones we have are places like VFWs where you have to be members, which we are not. That's not to say I never set foot in a bar, we go out to places to eat sometimes in a nearby city where I can order drinks, and occasionally do. My husband and I are just mostly homebodies who don't spend a lot of time in "establishments", but hang out with friends and family in our home or in theirs.

I am interested in AA, but I just haven't made that jump yet. I have been reading about the organization on their website and about the 12 steps, and I'm not sure I can align myself with the beliefs of the program, but I am willing to see if I can. I plan to attend a meeting next week.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

"This is literally the group of people who are my BEST friends in the world. If they don't understand and support me (which I am sure they will), who will?"

please note, their opinion of understanding and support may not include them not drinking on this vacation or any other time around you.

the best thing to do to understand AA is read the big book.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
"This is literally the group of people who are my BEST friends in the world. If they don't understand and support me (which I am sure they will), who will?"

please note, their opinion of understanding and support may not include them not drinking on this vacation or any other time around you.

the best thing to do to understand AA is read the big book.
I'm going to start reading the Big Book this afternoon! I didn't realize it was available to read online!

Re: people drinking around me - I understand this and have thought a lot about it. My goal is to get to a place where I don't care where people are drinking around me. I don't want to make others not drink or feel uncomfortable drinking just because I am not.