Notices

new to this ..but i think it might be time

Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

GL Poiko. Getting on this site was a big first step towards recovery. I too was labeled a "functional" alcholic by my doctor. But there really is no such thing, and there is a fine line between getting by with all the drinking and hangovers and still making it to work, and being a full blown alcoholic without any control over his situation. Only you can decide if you are ready to give it up or lower your intake. For me, being a social drinker/occasional drinker is not possible.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

thanks all

i'll be back..i appreciate the input
Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just like some of the other posters, I was 'functional'. Even in my worst, I still had a job, paid the bills, live in a nice place, wife and kids.
On the flip side, I was absent emotionally. My relationship was at its worst, the kids annoyed me because they interfered with my drinking time. In fact, everything interfered with my drinking time, I didn't want to do anything unless alcohol was involved!
For me, it didn't get better, it got waaay worse. It went from a couple of beers a day to wine all day and night. I was keeping up a professional facade, but having to either take alcohol into work or get to the pub at 11am. It went from me having some semblance of control over my drinking to effectively rescheduling everything in my life around my ability to drink.
Who knows what people knew. They certainly knew I looked like crap, but more than that I don't really know.
Glad you are looking in the right place. Getting honest about the situation and trying to learn more was the first step for me for recovery. I'm a year in now and my life is so much better it is hard to believe. Keep reading and take what suggestions work for you.
Plus not having to manage the ridiculous alcohol schedule in parallel is a lot less stressful
Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Poiko. I'm so glad you decided to seek some encouragement here. I was drinking every day too - and was terrified to let go of it. Talking about my feelings with those who understood really calmed my anxiety. You're never alone.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by poiko View Post
hi ...44 year old functional alcoholic..i always said I put the fun in FUNCTIONAL but I am tired of it....I am the fun party guy or was , and it is starting to affect..or is it effect my health.....
I do not know how to sleep without a buzz..if that makes anybody understand....
I watch shows like INTERVENTION...but I am not that guy..I am not drinking gallons of vodka
sorry I type this way..i am very stream of conscience left brain guy haha
but since the age of 16..i NEED a drink at night to fall asleep...
I have read stories..and always thought ..THAT isn't me
I am a beer guy...I do fine during the week ..no hangovers ..but I always screw up on weekends I do not have my kids..
recently been smoking weed..which helps a lot...

sorry for the wall of text...lol ..
but someone to talk to would be nice
I thought I needed alcohol to sleep had insomnia terrible..fact is I've never slept better till now..today is day 17 for me first week hard but you can persevere..use this sight often..amazing support..you can do this!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
"Functional" isn't a type of alcoholic, it's a stage of alcoholism. You'll wake up one day and won't be functional anymore and you'll wonder what happened.

Get sober now and you'll have the rest of your life to live. Keep drinking and who knows what will happen.
^This.

We functional alcoholics can function...just not quite as well as all the sober people. I fooled myself into that kind of thinking for years. Over time, all that functioning went to H-E-double-hockey-sticks and I'm just now starting to hear from people around me about how non-functional I had actually become.

I'm glad you're here, and I agree with this poster - sobriety will give you your life back.

ABW1
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

""Functional" isn't a type of alcoholic, it's a stage of alcoholism. You'll wake up one day and won't be functional anymore and you'll wonder what happened."

This is a very powerful, insightful and instructive statement.