Notices

15 Days

Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 Days

Good Morning,

I wanted to check in again and let everyone know that I am 15 days sober. I haven't felt this great in a long time. I was a daily heavy whiskey drinker. I would start on my ride home from work until I blacked out at night for a long time. I did a home detox (which I do not recommend to anyone). I was supervised at home by my spouse who is a healthcare provider. The crazy part is that I am an emergency department healthcare provider and I know better. Four days in I finally got I need touch with my doctor and we worked out a plan. I feel great. The fog has lifted from my brain, my tremors are gone, and I have already lost weight. I eat well, exercise and take vitamins. I have had minimal cravings. Mostly when I am leaving work and driving home. I loved having my first cocktail driving home. I thank god frequently I never harmed anyone doing this. Anytime I think about wanting a drink, I think about detoxing and know I never want to experience that again. I was filled with terror. I have a sponsor and I am attending meetings.

I am so grateful for this forum and the amazing support and caring I have had during such a difficult time. I hope you all are keeping up the good fight and keep on posting here. It is such a help and full of so much love and support.

I am going to leave work today and go home and put up the last of the Christmas decorations. I am thankful for being introduced to sober living and see that it is for me. I know that there are dark times ahead, but I will always remember detoxing and how I don't ever want to be there again.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are on a good path.

I am 46 days sober after drinking daily for 27 years and it only gets better everyday.
I remember my first days of sobriety-those were some dark days.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days
Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Nat!

So your detox, was it completely cold turkey with no meds? I ask because I am trying to set up a med detox and was hoping to get in and out within 5 days.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Sounds like you are on a good path.

I am 46 days sober after drinking daily for 27 years and it only gets better everyday.
I remember my first days of sobriety-those were some dark days.
Congrats on 46 days! My first few days were rough, but by day 5 I was in a much different place. I keep reminding myself of those dark days and how I never want to return again.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Congrats Nat!

So your detox, was it completely cold turkey with no meds? I ask because I am trying to set up a med detox and was hoping to get in and out within 5 days.
I used a homeopathic route. By day 4 I had Ativan which I minimally used. I don't recommend it to anyone. Call a doctor and let them monitor you. I stupidly know from my experience working in an ED just how scary and dangerous it can he. Especially the DTs and seizures.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you NatVT! I don't hear that as often as I expect, about the horror of detoxing again. It really helped me keep on the straight and narrow for months afterwards until being sober just became my new normal.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Good for you NatVT! I don't hear that as often as I expect, about the horror of detoxing again. It really helped me keep on the straight and narrow for months afterwards until being sober just became my new normal.
I love to hear that. I was driving home today and thinking about how I used to make a beeline to the liquor store to celebrate my work day being over. Now I celebrate waking up and not wondering what I did on my blackout or what bridge I burned. Clearly it's working because so many people have come up to me already and told me how much better I am looking. It's amazing what you can trick yourself into believing when you're a drunk.

I'm happy to be home and sober and enjoying the little things that booze numbed me to.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post NaVT - and congratulations!

D
Old 12-10-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 15 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on 15 days...my story is very similar to Doug's who posted earlier.
Heavy drinker my entire life. I jus turned 52 this week. Last 5 years was drinking daily...Usually never started before 5pm but would drink 5-10 beers every night and more on Sat and Sunday. KNEW I was overdoing it....had a moment of clarity and realized that I have gone through my entire adult life either drunk, hungover, or somewhere in between.

Tomorrow is Day 50. I thought about it today....but cravings only last about 30 minutes for me. Tomorrow I will be up at 5 and lifting weights by 6am and I am really looking forward to that. Previously? I would be on drink 11 right now ...getting ready for a lousy night's sleep and blowing off another workout.

Keep going!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congrats on 15 days! that is amazing. I would always stop by a store every night after work to get my beer, so it was really interesting for me mentally when I stopped doing that. the cravings will get better and before long you'll be heading home from work and not even THINK about having that road cocktail.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe we went sober the same day. I'm so glad to read this from you. I too have been sober since the day we quit. Keep up the good work! Day 15 feels amazing!
Old 12-11-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 15 days sober NatVT ! Same to you SinkingFeeling9 !
Old 12-11-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wink

thanks for posting this...