Notices

Horrible Embarrassment

Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrible Embarrassment

Here's one for you.....

There have been some terribly embarrassing, shameful things in my life, but few rival this.

I'd been staying at my mother's house during the process of a painful divorce. I went out one night to the bar to shoot pool and of course, primarily to drink. To drink my troubles into oblivion. To drink away my worries, my fears, my depression, my anxiety and my anger. To just.... DRINK..... into the stupor my sorrow and chaotic emotions sought.

I don't remember how I got home. I don't remember driving.... but I did. I only remember waking. Waking to an awfulness. A pounding headache. A deep illness. A still-drunken, alcohol-poisoned, terribleness of torment and despair. And finding beside me a terrible mess. I thought it was vomit everywhere. And, some of it was. But a lot of it wasn't. It had come out the other end. All over the carpet. The blankets. I'd gotten up and 'used the restroom' - right there.

I frantically cleaned it up as best I could. I made claim it had all been vomit, but the stench betrayed that story. I cleaned for hours that day, desperately trying to hide the awful, shameful truth. I was ill and I will never again be able to smell that particular brand of carpet cleaner without the scenes of that memory....... it is behind me.... I have let go of it from a shame perspective - but the reality lives on in the sense that I will not forget that scent or those many, many other scenes like it that told me consistently over the course of my life; "THIS IS NOT NORMAL. THIS IS NOT OK."

The point, I think, is that we've all suffered from the horrible embarrassment of our own actions. We've all felt shame. We've all done things that we really are mortified by. Those things aren't us, they are the results of addiction.

The other point is that we can choose another life, in which these things never, ever happen again.

Here's a toast (with a big glass of water) to your abundant, shame-free sobriety.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Owl! My friend! I'm so sorry! That's been a nightmare for you. As they say **** happens. One thing is crystal clear and it's that if you feel bad about something, really bad, like heartbroken, lost, all drinking will do is turn it into a real nightmare. I feel fairly confident in saying that no one, absolutely no one has ever found differently. So why do we do it? It's despair, rage, anger, a flood of emotion which makes us terribly vulnerable to our AV. At least that's the only way I can explain it. It's like the tiger hunt where the hunter, stalking the tiger, turned around and found it sitting on a ledge ready to spring. And in your case it sprung. If you ever again feel so upset, so angry, lost, heart broken, WATCH YOUR BACK! Call a friend, a non drinking friend, go to a meeting if you are an AA person, call your doctor (that's what I did after I had to put my beloved dog to sleep many years ago). Just keep from jumping into a real black hole of despair, as well as the possibility of maybe doing something that could haunt you forever. Take care of yourself, Owl. You take care of us. Forgive yourself. Because there's nothing to forgive.

Bill.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bill...

for clarity - this was over six years ago and thankfully part of another life that I'll not be going back to.

But, your comments are spot on.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're mantra of "This is not normal!" reminds me of some of mine. I'd repeat "There's no dignity in this" to myself as I retched half the day in the washroom. Anyways, thanks for the share Owl!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Here's one for you.....

There have been some terribly embarrassing, shameful things in my life, but few rival this.

I'd been staying at my mother's house during the process of a painful divorce. I went out one night to the bar to shoot pool and of course, primarily to drink. To drink my troubles into oblivion. To drink away my worries, my fears, my depression, my anxiety and my anger. To just.... DRINK..... into the stupor my sorrow and chaotic emotions sought.

I don't remember how I got home. I don't remember driving.... but I did. I only remember waking. Waking to an awfulness. A pounding headache. A deep illness. A still-drunken, alcohol-poisoned, terribleness of torment and despair. And finding beside me a terrible mess. I thought it was vomit everywhere. And, some of it was. But a lot of it wasn't. It had come out the other end. All over the carpet. The blankets. I'd gotten up and 'used the restroom' - right there.

I frantically cleaned it up as best I could. I made claim it had all been vomit, but the stench betrayed that story. I cleaned for hours that day, desperately trying to hide the awful, shameful truth. I was ill and I will never again be able to smell that particular brand of carpet cleaner without the scenes of that memory....... it is behind me.... I have let go of it from a shame perspective - but the reality lives on in the sense that I will not forget that scent or those many, many other scenes like it that told me consistently over the course of my life; "THIS IS NOT NORMAL. THIS IS NOT OK."

The point, I think, is that we've all suffered from the horrible embarrassment of our own actions. We've all felt shame. We've all done things that we really are mortified by. Those things aren't us, they are the results of addiction.

The other point is that we can choose another life, in which these things never, ever happen again.

Here's a toast (with a big glass of water) to your abundant, shame-free sobriety.

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about things I've done while drunk (something I rarely let myself think about before becoming sober)

It's really hard, but also motivating to never ever revisit that place again. Thanks for having the courage to share -- another great reason to stay sober!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boy, that's a crappy deal.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Boy, that's a crappy deal.
HAHAHAH!!!

yes.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soo very glad none of us have to go back to those moments if we don't want to!!

*Raises mug of green tea*
Old 12-06-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HAHAHAH!!!

yes.

Thanks, Owl, for your recent hoot, clearing up the ambiguity. There's no question that drinking got you into deep ****. Everyone was that way walking around London in the early 18th Century. And fifty years earlier , Samuel Pepys would return home after misbehaving and throw his dinner at his spouse if it was not cooked properly, concluding with a simple note in his diary, "And so to bed!" Ho hum!

Regards

Bill ("And so to bed!")
Old 12-06-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My worst moment, many years ago, was coming home from a party... wrapped in a blanket. I have no idea where my clothes were. If I never drink again, I'll never again have to wake up to that feeling of dread.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am fairly new to sobriety and I have many shameful memories that I would like to forget but in a way hope I never do. As sober time passes it gets easier to know that that shameful person wasn't really me. It was never me and the shame is more bearable. I hope I never forget.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I am fairly new to sobriety and I have many shameful memories that I would like to forget but in a way hope I never do. As sober time passes it gets easier to know that that shameful person wasn't really me. It was never me and the shame is more bearable. I hope I never forget.
From my perspective, the term "me" is complex, much more than traditionally thought. Part of everyone's original and permanent equipment is the so called "primitive" part of the brain, sometimes referred to as the "beast". It's said to be the home of the Addictive Voice ("AV") and everyone, alcoholic or not, has one. Alcohol numbs the more rational part of the brain (the "real me"?) and the body's chemistry changes to need alcohol to avoid withdrawal. So it's an illness. Nothing to be ashamed of. Alcoholics have what amounts to a manufacturing defect, dangerous like defective auto airbags. They have to focus on not doing stuff that will explode the airbags abnormally and scatter the equivalent of shrapnel around. Drinking lots of alcohol creates that risk. Drinking is always to some extent voluntary. So is recovery. Despite alcoholism being an "illness" recovery is always voluntary. Wow is it "voluntary"! And it's disastrous not to get going on that.

W.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Talk about humility! Bravo!
Old 12-07-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have similar stories. The shame was almost unbearable. But as more time goes by, I can forgive myself and look upon those episodes as stark reminders of where I never want to go again. I don't forget, but I don't dwell on it. I just keep doing the next right thing. The healing does happen.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

True but, I keep those past things done while drinking or using close to my minds eye, never wanting to forget.

Some will say let them all go and never look back -- for me I prefer not to do that -- helping to keep me sober for 9 years now -- if it works don't fix it.

M-Bob
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree.

I have 'let them all go' in the sense that I've forgiven myself and put down the weight of carrying them as burdens.

I continue to keep them as part of my story, though, to inform and strengthen myself in times of doubt or temptation.

I need not suffer for them anymore. But I hold them at hand to help ensure I never suffer them all over again!