Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Newly pregnant and scared. Need detox help please

Notices

Old 10-25-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just found out I'm pregnant today and I'm scared because I take around 60-70mg of hydrocodone a day.
I want to quit but I keep reading that it's bad to go cold turkey and it could cause a miscarriage.
I quit for 4 days last week with the help of Kratom before knowing I was pregnant and I'm still pregnant so maybe I won't miscarry if I detox again with Kratom? Thoughts?
I really want to put this all behind me and I'd really like to do that and still be pregnant. I just don't know what will happen when I detox from the Kratom.

Also, I'm almost 3 full days clean from .25 mg of Xanax. I started detoxing this before knowing I was pregnant and I haven't noticed any w/d but I've been using hydrocodone so that could be why.

I feel like this baby doesn't really stand a chance but it's worth fighting for.
Any suggestions or anecdotes? That would be great!
Thank you in advance!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Thomaspad

While we can share our anecdotes, we can't give you any kind of medical advice - it just wouldn't be responsible.

You really need to get some professional medical advice on this from a doctor - not only for your sake but the baby's too?

I wish you both well tho - give yourself and that little bub every chance at a new kife

Dee
SR
Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well obviously I'm going to talk to my doctor but I will not go on suboxone or methadone Regardless of what he says so I was hoping to hear from someone who has possibly detoxed cold turkey or not and did not miscarry! Any personal stories would be great! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd prefer to just detox and get it over with. Obviously I don't want to lose the baby but if I do I will consider it meant to be. I wish I would have known last week when I had already gone 4 days... thanks Dee btw
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomaspad View Post
I'd prefer to just detox and get it over with. Obviously I don't want to lose the baby but if I do I will consider it meant to be. I wish I would have known last week when I had already gone 4 days... thanks Dee btw
As Dee mentioned, you absolutely need to speak with your doctor first and foremost. Stories from others are not really applicable in this situation.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anyone else? I'd prefer not to hear to "go see your doctor" when obviously I already have plans to do so. Not trying to be argumentative here and I appreciate the concern But I wanna hear from people who have gone through it themselves. Stories from other people who have gone through it before can shed some light on my situation. If there are other people who have detoxed after finding out they are pregnant (I'm sure it happens a bunch) I'd love to hear from you... How you detoxed (cold turkey, medicated assisted, etc) Regardless if it ended up in miscarriage or not... . I will respond back after my Dr's appointment tomorrow incase other pregnant women stumble across my post in the same situation. In the mean time, I'm still here if you would like to share your story, Thank you bunches
Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my opinion, the only way to 'safely' detox while pregnant is under a good OB Dr.'s care. Great that you have an appt. Be sure to keep it; I know you will. You sound very worried about your baby. I can sure understand why you would be so worried dear. Us moms worry about everything; even with the most perfectly normal pregnancies. Take care....
Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The dr at Kaisers chemical dependency department told me I had two options. Have an abortion or go on methadone. I don't want to do either so I'm going to do a quick taper and go cold turkey. I don't want to miscarry but I also don't want to have an abortion so if I miscarry that's just what's going to happen and if I don't then I have a drug free pregnancy. Tomorrow hopefully I can get into to see my obgyn for a second opinion. I'll keep you posted incase you want to know or someone reads this in the future. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I look forward to hearing the second opinion you will be getting.

I have no personal experience, but I wish you all the best and hope for the safety of you and your baby. Understandably this is a very stressful situation for you, so try to take a deep breath and relax a bit this evening. Your baby will appreciate that.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How's your housing Dear? Have you looked for group homes for addicted pregnant women?

Aren't there likely online forums for them?

I hope writers here will post referrals.

(I sadly know of addicts that had a baby born addicted. Then after about a year and not infrequent 'seizures' the baby died. Reportedly from SIDS. . . Please potential 'mothers' don't abuse alcohol or drugs!)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My sympathy, as I think you're amongst the most in desperate need of help here.

I hope you receive that from good people. Could you also please post a poignant 'Member photo'; to help them connect? Wouldn't a similar Member Name also be helpful?

I hope you can quit, love sobriety, and have a healthy baby.

Oh, do you know of the many adoption options. . . including where couples may 'care for' expecting women, and provide benefits?

Please tell us your thoughts.

Peace & Blessings
Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The obgyn said I'm only 4 weeks along. Saw a sac but no baby yet. She said if I can taper and quit to do that but if I find myself not being able to quit that I would need to go on methadone or suboxone.
I'm tapering already. Took 50 milligrams from 70 today...Tomorrow I'm going to do 40 on Sunday I'm jumping to 30 Tuesday 20 Friday 10 Sunday 5 and then jumping.
I know I won't have a problem staying sober.
My housing is good, I own a home with my husband. I'm kind of confused about your last post, Sober's best. Were you suggesting adoption or that there were families that would house me if I needed? I want the baby so I wouldn't be interested in adoption but thank you for sharing options with me
Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll let you know the outcome. At this point the pregnancy is very early and it's my first so who knows if it will even stick. Even when I'm done tapering if I lose it I will never know if it was from the jump or just because that's what would have happened anyway, ya know? Regardless I'll come back in a couple week and do an update
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Human

We would love an update on the progress of all things considered here!

I know the initial answers may have been frustrating - sometimes the only answer truly is to just see a doctor. And we all hate it when that's the sole solution you will have one of many perspectives of tapering/sobriety that people may look for answers on, but are too shy perhaps to ask since the research comes up with little. Thank you for sharing with us!

Glad you and the doc had a good informative talk. Be careful, take care of yourself, and don't forget about us here k?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good you're good!

For pregnant addicted women there are good options.. Including group homes, and support from adopting parents, etc.

Shall I look for forums you'll like; especially 'opioids and pregnant'?

Love . . .

Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update and it sounds like you're doing well. I admire your determination to taper down and stop using the drugs. A first pregnancy is full of wonder, so just think positively and stay healthy, and hope for the best. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Thomaspad

While we can share our anecdotes, we can't give you any kind of medical advice - it just wouldn't be responsible.

You really need to get some professional medical advice on this from a doctor - not only for your sake but the baby's too?

I wish you both well tho - give yourself and that little bub every chance at a new kife

Dee
SR
I agree with this post.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hate when people don't come back and update so I will real quick even though it will bump the thread. Lost the baby at 6 weeks which was actually a relief. won't be doing that again until I'm super sober for at least a year
Thanks y'all
Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you lost the baby but I wish you well on your desire to be super sober

D