Notices

How do you find a good rehab..UK

Old 10-23-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you find a good rehab..UK

I have been trying to get help from the NHS for a couple of years with little success.
I am now considering going down the private route as I am drinking a 70cl bottle of vodka a day, feel ill and really need help.
How do I find a good rehab?
Old 10-23-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard all good things about the Priory from folk who used it. Isn't that in London? (I don't live in London. The people I spoke to went there for it because it had a good reputation ).

I'd suggest getting yourself to some places where you can talk to other alcoholics in recovery, and ask people who went to rehab where they went and what it was like. Your local AA meetings could be a good start. (You don't need to have already quit drinking to attend a meeting. It's for anyone who wants to stop.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This site might help?

Home | rehabonline

D
Old 10-23-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with Berry...check out your local AA meetings. They are free, there is no wait to get in and everyone there will have the same goal as you do. Even if you don't fully participate in the program/steps it's a great resource to get started. Most likely you will meet people who have been to, or at least know of, good rehab/detox centers.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I made an enquiry to the Priory. I have copied the reply...
Thank you for your enquiry. Using the postcode which you provided I have found North London to be your closest Priory centres. I can initially let you know that a 28 day stay at North London would be £17,514. We are also able to accept funding from private medical insurers (BUPA, AXA ppp etc).

Just a tad out of my price range!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kaily,

I don't want to minimize your troubles, but there is unfortunately a "rescue fantasy" aspect to addiction. Active addiction is so ugly and feels so hopeless that we often want to be saved from ourselves. A rehab stay is part of such a rescue fantasy, even though treatment will not keep you from drinking again.

You have been at this for a long time, now, waiting for help, so consider the very real possibility that you will have to smash that fantasy in order to recover from your addiction. Drinking 700mL of vodka daily is simply too much, and it will probably lead to organ failure -- death the really hard way.

Conventional wisdom on this forum appears to be that tapering down 'doesn't work', but I've also learned that tapering down is the conventional doctor's advice in the United Kingdom, and is commonly used in community detox. One way or another, you are going to have to stop drinking such a large amount of alcohol.

If rehab is out of your price range, and you are not willing to taper down your intake, consider inquiring about detoxification only. Alcohol detox, without any addiction treatment, should not be very expensive in comparison. It won't keep you from drinking again, any more than rehab would, but it would get you off the alcohol safely.

Once sober, you will have a chance to get your bearings.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Algorithm, Thanks you talk a lot of sense and deep down I already know the only person that can cure me is me.
I was once very strong willed and I wish I could find that strength again but it feels like I have lost that person. 10 years ago I gave up smoking, 20 a day to none and haven't had one since. If only I could apply the same principles to alcohol.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In fairness. The priory is likely to be one of the most expensive option available. I would have a look at some of the other options in the link Dee put up.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kaily, don't worry about not being able to attend The Priory. I know somebody who attended (insurance funded) three times (eye-watering cost) but their rehab didn't work for her.

I too drank the equivalent of 75cl and sometimes more, daily, until recently. I'm now a soberite and have zero intention of drinking, ever again. I don't count days, because of the sobriety method I eventually chose; after AA Steps didn't work.

I really do have a new lease of life. It isn't a miracle, I achieved something that countless folks have, by utilising my own inbuilt ability.

When I drank as much as you, recently, I could see no way out. I was so sick, depressed, disillusioned. But there is a way out, I found it, way down on the forum's Secular Connections thread. It has transformed my life.

I'm not denying that I have problems to mop up, after the alcohol induced (and other issue) problems. But, to take alcohol and the attendant sickness, depression etc., out of the picture, by being sober; enables me to deal with the alcohol/non-alcohol related issues.

Have you tried AA, SMART, AVRT, Lifering etc? Please keep posting on SR,
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kaily
I have an old friend who went through this. He ended up admitting himself to a hospital in London after a bad binge. They put him inpatient for detox of 72 hours. Then they provided aftercare including an NHS funded treatment that he went to for 90 days. He followed it up with strict AA meetings daily and working with a sponsor. That was two years ago.
Perhaps that's an avenue you can persue?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kaily, sorry I meant to add, that there are many rehab/detoxification units in the UK. Both NHS and private, often the same ones, with the places funded by both routes.

At least if you attend a short detox, you can escape the physical daily alcohol dependency, without withdrawal risk.

Plus, if you consult your GP, they may either prescribe medication for detox, monitored at home or refer you to the Drug and Alcohol Service and from there, you may be referred to a rehab, funded by the NHS. I was unwilling to follow those routes, because I still harbour a wish to resume my career and I can't have them on my record. That's why I tapered.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tatsy, Thanks for your reply. I have been to Drug and Alcohol service but they couldn't detox me as I live on my own. My GP who referred me is fully aware of exactly how much I am drinking.
I am glad you have found sobriety keep up the good work.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please, please try AA - 'the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking'. Many people have attended AA and got sober, even when they initially did not have the desire to stop drinking.

I, through ups and downs and lots of turmoil, did eventually (about 10 months after I first went to AA) get sober and have stayed sober for nearly 4 years with the help of AA and SR.

You will hear many stories from other AA members which you will, if you listen, get a lot of identification with. For me, AA was the only place, in real life, where I could meet people who knew what it was like for me.

You don't have to say anything at a meeting if you don't want to - just listen. You will be made welcome; for many people, AA is the first place they have been made to feel welcome at in a long time.

AA is filled with all sorts of people; don't have any preconceived ideas of what 'type' they might be - just go and listen There are no 'dues or fees' for membership but most meetings pass round a bag or bowl for a 'contribution' towards the hire of the venue and to cover teas and coffees - just put what you can in, even if only a £1 (sometimes people 'come in' to AA with no money at all). For sure, a more cost efficient way of getting sober compared to residential private rehab.

AA, in my opinion, can give you much of what any rehab can give you. Given where you are based, there will be tons of meetings that you could go to on a daily basis. The meetings I go to last about 1.5 - 2 hours and it is recommended that you go a little early (10-15 mins or so) so you can say hi to people and grab tea / coffee.

Best wishes and let us know how you get on
Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks feeling -good. I did attend AA for a while but just didn't connect to it. As you say in my area the choice of AA meetings is incredible but I just kept over thinking the logic of the higher power etc( I know they say keep it simple) and stopped attending.
I am interested in Smart recovery, as yet none local but I believe it will only be a matter of time before there will be.
As Algorithm said I need to stop looking for a magic cure and at least try to cut down until I find the will to abstain.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kaily, Of course it's important to detox safely and that's the first issue for you to deal with. Would you be able to have someone stay with you for a few days so that you could detox safely at home? Beyond that, I firmly believe that the motivation you bring to recovery is more important than the method you choose. Following is a Sticky with all kinds of good information on stopping drinking and recovering:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-24-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

Have you been to AA meetings,free,no waiting list and more successful than any rehab.I have lost count of the people I have known who end up in AA after being in rehab,also most UK rehabs will make you attend AA.

You have to be prepared to go to any lengths to get and stay sober,nobody can do it for you.Rehab will keep you sober in the short term,it is what happens when you come out that is important.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Kaily, I probably stopped drinking just in time. I drank each and every day for over two decades. I can't believe I'm still alive and also, free from the addiction.

As you say, your GP won't assist, without you having someone with you.

Algorithm is a very wise person. It's because of Algorithm's posts, and others on the Secular Connections thread (on this site) that I'm now sober. I'm truly indebted and that's why I'm still here, trying to pay it forward.