Notices

An interesting dichotomy

Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An interesting dichotomy

In the week or so I've been hanging out on this site, I've noticed two trends that kinda surprised me when considered together;

1. So many people here are incredibly kind and supportive towards others.

2. So many people here are incredibly unkind towards themselves.

It's almost like we need to consider a reverse golden rule...Fascinating!

That's all I got. Gonna go sweat and shiver in bed some more. Thanks for tolerating my ramblings, Hope ya'll have a good day.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good point!

Hope you feel better soon x
Old 09-29-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I think you're correct. We do tend to be our own worst enemies/biggest critics. Being kind to myself, and feeling good about myself (even when I have achieved something very positive), is one of the hardest things I try to do.

Lack of self worth seems to be a common thread among many alcoholics that I have met over the years. However, we are absolutely brilliant at pretending that all is well.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

well i did get an apartment after high school by myself and with the drapes closed spend 11 years tryin' to drink myself to death

and

99.8% of my problems are of my own making

just sayin' and bein' honest

Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As for 2, WD does tend to throw you through an emotional loop as your brain tries to readjust itself to it's new chemistry. Your brain adjusts to all that alcohol and removing it is a shock to your system. synapses misfire and some folks feel like garbage.

I'm never depressed but depression has been the major emotion I've felt for the last 16 days. It's finally starting to let up a bit and now I find myself getting excited and unable to shut up (which is also odd for my introverted self).
Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

By being gentle with ourselves in early recovery we can begin to rebuild our self worth.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Helping others I find very important to remind me of where I have come from and how I don't ever want to go back there ever again.

A part of my recovery has definitly included learning about myself again, learning why I shouldn't continue down the path of self destruction by drinking, learning to like myself again.

It can be done!!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Just Keep Coming Back

By nature, I tend to put others before myself. I never really understood the saying 'you're no good to anyone if you're not good to yourself'. The meaning is just starting to become clearer to me.

I now find myself helping others, not because I want to manipulate the situation for my own benefit, but because I truly want to help. That being said, I try to spend some time every day on self-care even if it's something small-polishing nails, giving myself a facial, going for a quiet walk, etc.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the thoughtful input here and elsewhere, folks. Great stuff. I often hear musicians say to each other "that's so inspiring!" in ways that make me want to roll my eyes. I have found this website way more inspiring than the vast majority of music I've played.

Haha, yea VibrantQueen, perhaps I've been a feral drunkard on occasions. Starting my morning routine quickly is more important than I thought. If I can get the misery train rolling before I have the time to reconsider I'm usually in good shape!