Notices

Vomit

Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Kgr. Yuck. That's disgusting. I totally understand you cleaning it up though so as to not smell it.

My husband comes stumbling home drunk and high at least once a week. He's pretty useless around the house for the remainder of the week as he recovers and then starts the cycle over once he's feeling better. If I hint that I'm really sick of his stuff, that it might be a good idea for him to move out, he throws the stuff I did while drunk back in my face.

But the difference is that I've been sober over two and a half years. And he's still throwing it back at me. In this situation a big SO? is the best response. I'm not the same person I was back then. I'm not doing the same stuff. It IS deflection. As long as he can attack what he recalls you doing, he doesn't have to examine his own actions.

You have made a far healthier choice. Keep growing. You absolutely can stay sober despite what your husband is doing. It may be a bit harder but you can do it. Find support in real life. Come on here. Look at him as inspiration. You don't have to be that stinking, puking, stumbling drunk. Ever again.

Congratulations.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgr103110 View Post
So just to update, I'm on day 43 sober.

It's a little past 4:30 am here, and I can't sleep. The excitement following my husband stumbling in drunk around 3ish has finally subsided. I'm too wound up go back to bed just yet.

It started with me being pissed that he'd a) come home so late, b) been at the bar as per usual, and c) driven home after drinking for hours. He denied that he was drunk, but I knew he was. He had that glassy look and sort of swayed when he walked. Plus, he was in his drunk mood: Passive aggressive and mean.

So he lies down to go to sleep, the room is dark and quiet for about ten minutes, and then he starts projectile vomiting. It was EVERYWHERE - a trail of vomit from the bedroom to the bathroom - all over the bathroom door and knob, the toilet... Nothing was spared.

But he didn't drink too much, right?

So I cleaned it up because the smell was horrendous. Now I just have so much on my mind. I feel like a hypocrite being upset because I've only been sober for a little over a month. I feel like I don't have a right to feel this way.

I want my husband to live healthier, too. I know I can't force him to do that, but I wish he could just see that this isn't normal.

I just sound preachy, and I hate that.

Ew. I can still smell the puke.
Next time, make him clean it up. After that there won't be a next time.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Does he realize how close to death he was? Many alcoholics suffer an untimely death due to vomiting in their sleep and inhaling the vomit. Happens all the time. You probably saved his life.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgr103110 View Post
Thanks for all the replies... Here's an update:

My husband woke up this morning with a laundry list of stupid things I've done while drinking. This basically confirms what I said on here last night (earlier this morning) - I really don't have a right to call him out on his drunken behavior.

I think that's one of the things I hate most about being an alcoholic. No matter how many days I stay sober or how much better life becomes... The past is always there. And I think it will always haunt me, and others can use it against me. What can I say to that? I did those things. It's true.

So long story short, I wasn't the drunken mess last night - but I still feel bad about myself and my choices the same way I did after a binge.
Sweetheart: You've brought something up that most of us can sure relate to: REGRET. Feeling bad and unable to forgive ourselves for what we've done, etc. That regret doesn't just go away...but TIME helps; just giving yourself time to heal what wounds are within you; even self inflicted wounds. But it does take time and there is hope that those wounds will heal with more sober time and dealing with life on life's terms. None of us can go back and change things we've already done. There is no special time capsule to do that....what we have is NOW; right here, right now....and sometimes we are thankful for just a few moments to BREATHE, pause, and soak in the beauty of life. A beautiful song, art, a healing touch, connecting with kindred spirits.