Notices

Please, what does this mean?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Please, what does this mean?

Letting go of outcomes. Or letting go of controlling outcomes.

Is this emphasized throughout the steps?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It's a little hard to answer this question because the context is missing, but it seems to refer to the idea of acceptance. It's one thing to seek a specific outcome regarding a situation, its another to accept an undesired outcome.

Do your best,

and take comfort in the fact you have.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Verte, my limited understanding it is more modern updated lingo pointing to the "Thy Will not mine be done" concept. Though we usually can't see it, some of us spend most of our waking moments trying to manipulate people, conditions, and ourselves, conditions to satisfy our endless desires and aversions. There is never any rest or peace of mind, always fear and tactics and conflicts and more tactics, on every front - family, finance, friends, fellows and foes. "Our victories are short-lived". 'When we seem to be succeeding (at whatever the conquest du jour), we drank of victory as a wine that could only make us feel elated, and drank to dream still greater dreams'. 'In defeat we are bitter'.

All day long i try to check what i am really up to, not just only when alllllll bent out of shape, and the insertion of an attitude of 'let go', means i don't HAVE to win the game, the argument, the job, opinion, esteem, whatever. Personally i cannot equip myself with the kind of 'faith' that seems to come so easily to others, BUT with the mere willingness to experiment, you know what? - most of my endless crap DOESN'T matter. I been to hell and sick with death and failure and confinement. Whyfore this endless will to win!?!?

So i am finding at least a faith in SOME other individuals' faith, because the states of mind mysteriously exposed, the carefree love and lightness found and sobering search for usefulness no matter the circumstances, is absolutely extraordinary, and not to be missed, passing through this planet!

Faith. Let go. Remember seeing all the other kids jumping off that cliff into the pool? Seeing how much death defying fun they were having? Our own inward search for courage to just let go....

We will never be perfect people or have perfect security or perfect reputation or perfect understanding or ......the list of demands goes on forever. Its a trap. The forces on this planet have a mind and rules of their own, how can we best coincide.....reasonableness, and a truer more comfortable, independent self esteem comes easier this way, at the very least.

The last shirt we will wear has no pockets, and when we are gone and our 15 minutes of fame are deleted, nobody here will really care. So did we pass a torch, leave some primer for the pump, or what. All AA old fashioned things try to point to truer more 'eternal', lasting values, like the brotherhood of man, best thing that ever was conceived.

So what small nattering trifle can we 'let go' of today, so our hands are freed for better arts.

Just my midnight couldnt sleep thoughts, thanks for a sweet topic, nice reminder for me of where it was i wanted to be going! Got caught back up in the noisy rat race feeding frenzy lately...kinda losing my way...sheesh jungle out there man
Old 09-25-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch 22

It means chill.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me it means do not have or put any expectations on others , do not depend on others reactions or responses > no human power God could and would if he were sought . God is our new employer depend entirely on him . Also try and accept every thing every day that comes along no matter what , its not easy at times but acceptance is the answer .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post

For me it means faith without works is dead or until you get out of your comfort zone and do something nothing is likely to change. Once you done your best what comes next is often out of your control.

You can still worry (we're all human after all...) but no need to feel paralyzed.

You've taken positive action and are waiting for the results . Now what you do during this period of wait is up to you. I have a someone I can talk with and I also go running.

Emotional sobriety is the ability to balance the ups/downs of life as we trudge the road of happy destiny.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good question! what that means for me simply is I can make plans but cant plan the outcome. its best explained starting at the last paragraph of pg 60.

planning the outcome is me playing God.

emphasized throughout the steps? welp, the steps are to help us have a spiritual awakening. so in a way,yes. the 10th step promises start, "and we have ceased fighting anyone and anything..."
Old 09-25-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It means we are in the action business, not the results business. Someone else handles that.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
skg

Letting go of outcomes. Or letting go of controlling outcomes.Is this emphasized throughout the steps?
I believe that if I am willing to, "Let go and let God," guide my daily living, then I need only do the next right thing and leave the results up to Him. There is peace in not having to be God these days.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skg View Post
I believe that if I am willing to, "Let go and let God," guide my daily living, then I need only do the next right thing and leave the results up to Him. There is peace in not having to be God these days.
Powerful statement, SKG! I've been taught the same.. it works for me but I have to practice it DAILY!! Good stuff, thank you!!!!!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond in such a meaningful way. I really appreciate it.

Right around the two year mark without drinking, I arrived at a strange place and did not seek guidance, advice, clarification or understanding on SR or IRL, but I really wanted to ask. The strange place involved feeling the magnitude of my own insignificance, all while keeping an eye on self esteem, worth and value. And how did this all relate to drinking?

During my time spent here on SR, letting go of outcomes has shown to be enormously helpful advice received, yet I was not sure of the origin.

Darwinia - "You must chill" is one of my favorite movies scenes/quotes that actually does run through my head should I find myself freaking out.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

How about this one

What does lowering your expectations of others mean in your experience with the 12 Steps, Big Book or from a collection of sources?

Old 09-25-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Lot of good things said but here is a real life example. I work in a very competitive occupation and people in my role are fired on a very regular basis. I really like my employer and job but there always will be a significant change I will be let go. I could be in a constant state of anxiety worrying about my job. In stead I do the very best I can and leave the outcome to God. I do my part God does his. Easy peazy