Notices

Ever growing gratitude!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ever growing gratitude!

My journey to today - this day - started many years ago, when I was 16 years old and had my first drink. Years and years went by while I just went along for the blurry ride - escalating drinking, hiding from my feelings, burying my pain and drowning it all in a bottle. Fast forward ten years from that day and I found myself on this site, in 2013. I had finally decided to do something about my drinking - and it was this site. It was the first time in my entire life of drinking that I had made a decision like that - that lasted more than a couple of minutes, anyway.

I posted here for about a week and got my longest stretch of sobriety that I had ever had - a week, give or take a couple of days. Unfortunately, I ended up back in the whirlwind of pain and drinking that my life had been up to that point . As I continued to isolate myself and bury the pain I felt deeper and deeper, nothing changed. I just got further and further away from the person I wanted to be and the life I wanted for myself... further away from any chance at peace or happiness.

I am grateful today. Grateful that this site is still here - that I remembered the email that I used three years ago to connect with other people suffering from the same disease that had a stranglehold on my life. Throughout the last 363 days of my life I have done just the same. Through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, some serious spiritual healing and the grace of God - I will sober one year on the 26th of this month.

I could not explain completely the absolute gratitude and serenity that encompasses my life now. The change has been absolute - incredible, and like nothing I could have EVER imagined. It has been tough and scary and I have doubted myself a million times.. but I have done what we are all doing here - reached out and connected with other alcoholics who know my struggles, and are willing to share their experience, strength and hope with me in order to see me recover from this disease.

I just wanted to say thank you - to this site and the wonderful people on here who embraced me with absolutely open arms on the days that I first got some sobriety.

And to those who may be newly sober, or even just considering it - please don't give up on yourself. Find a group of people (online, in real life - or both!) and reach out.. the path to a better life is not as far away as you might think. You deserve a happy, full and wonderful life - and you are absolutely NOT alone.

Thank you again, for your support and love and kindness.

All the very best to each and every one of you out there!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Toeachtheirown and congrats on a year on the 26th
Old 09-24-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 363 days and counting. Thank you for the post it always gives me hope and inspiration to hear great success stories.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post
Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Toeachtheirown!

Thank you for the wonderful post.