Notices

Reading Facebook tonight...

Old 09-24-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading Facebook tonight...

Hi guys,

Just a quick post from me to keep me in the loop, I hope you're all well.

Reading Facebook tonight and I can't believe how many of my Facebook friends have got a drink problem. Just the sheer fact that they need to be drinking to enjoy themselves makes the alarm bells ring to me, (at last)

I'm not talking small amounts either, I'm talking about people who are happy to post over Facebook their intentions of getting absolutely bladdered,

It doesn't offend me in anyway. I am in fact glad that they've posted as it makes me eternally grateful that I have at last found comfort in my life without the need for alcohol,

For the last 3 months I've done a lot of research regarding alcohol problems and it is clear that many people have problems that they aren't even aware of. I do honestly believe that we as a nation in the uk are on the brink of a national bad health pandemic caused entirely by alcohol consumption.

That's all from me tonight guys,

Have a good sober weekend,

Bruno,
Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree with you Bruno. I use it as motivation for myself.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't see it as an alcoholism problem, but a problem of unhappiness. We post the good to eradicate the bad. Work, work, work, go through the motions during the week. Weekends unwind with alcohol. I know that's why I started drinking. Unhappiness. FB looks real, but it is everyone posting their "best" perceptions of their life. Vacations, homecomings, accomplishments. Etc.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fair point Behappy1
Old 09-24-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL Bruno - I was just browsing FB myself and noticed the SAME thing. It's the weekend - lots of alcohol, bonfires, homecomings, fb games. People medicating (aka drinking) for happiness, left and right.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here too! Big football games in WI this weekend only mean one thing--- everyone is drinking while watching the Badgers after a bender last night, and will tie one on tomorrow for the Packer game.
I don't miss it one bit. Especially the "drunk" posts or pics.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FB is full of posts about people drinking alcohol, justifications for drinking alcohol and jokes about the effects of drinking too much alcohol. I'm with you, Bruno, in being really glad to stepped away from it and no longer be in that mindset - which by the way is pervasive in the mainstream of many cultures.

From time to time, FB will bring up a post showing something that I once posted that relates to alcohol. Those give me a special kind of feeling of relief.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
From time to time, FB will bring up a post showing something that I once posted that relates to alcohol. Those give me a special kind of feeling of relief.
Same here,

Just sitting here tonight at 10.45pm chugging on my coconut water fills me with a sense of relief and even pride knowing that I've not got a mega hangover facing me tomorrow morning.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Human

Facebook is the devil.
I think a lot of those posts as well are people who know their behavior is damaging, but find that social acceptance of it makes it okay to continue. Subconsciously, of course. Or maybe they think they /need/ to post about it, to be culturally accepted. Or they just like to get drunk. It's all horrible, isn't it? Occasionally I'll see someone post a picture of a weekend sunset, and that's a nice breath of fresh air to see someone actually living life.

I scan my own profile sometimes, and I think oh she looks like she only ever has fun. Of course, that isn't true. It really is all about projecting the "best" parts of life.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is Face Book....?
Old 09-24-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

But at times I realize that they're the norm and I am not. I cannot control my drinking. Period. They can be unhappy, semi unhappy, but still... I am the one with the problem. At the root of it all, I am unhappy. They can shut off their drinking. I cannot.,
Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Now that I have been living sober, I notice it so much more.

As a mom specifically, I see plenty of the 'Mommy deserves a glass of wine for dealing with these crazy kids all day" posts, or pics of wine glasses printed with "Mommys Sippy Cup" for instance. There are dozens of Mom blogs that reference drinking as an acceptable way to escape challenges of motherhood.

Now it makes me sad to see it, and that I was a part of that culture.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Now that I have been living sober, I notice it so much more.

As a mom specifically, I see plenty of the 'Mommy deserves a glass of wine for dealing with these crazy kids all day" posts, or pics of wine glasses printed with "Mommys Sippy Cup" for instance. There are dozens of Mom blogs that reference drinking as an acceptable way to escape challenges of motherhood.

Now it makes me sad to see it, and that I was a part of that culture.
Yes Dharma, I see a lot of that too
Old 09-25-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've just had a quick glance through my Facebook, and the newsfeed is full of the same people who were "enjoying themselves" last night, only now they're suffering from hangovers.

Thank God those days are behind me,

Bruno.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Amen to that Bruno! Same here. Sucks to be them..... LOL.
Meanwhile, I am enjoying a lovely cup of java on the patio feelin' fab!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Of all the drugs and alcohol I've taken in my 30 year experience, none of that is enjoyable as riding 70 mph on my bike and its legal too unless I'm going over that

I wouldn't trade one day of my sober life for any of my days drinking.

My worst day sober has never been as bad as my worst day drunk