Notices

Need some help on my Plan

Old 08-30-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some help on my Plan

Hi All

Need some help with my plan.

6p's comes to mind ... Prior Preparation Prevents **** Poor Performance
Any tweaking of my plan advise is welcome.

Job at hand, get my boat fixed and finishing painting the house. The boat should only take half a day but the painting should take up to a week.

Going to make one day a week, fishing day, my hobby.

Plan...
3 good meals a day with 2 nutritious snacks
Finish one job before starting another
Start back, 3 nights a week at Karate training
Go for a walk or watch a movie when AV hits
Log onto SR when AV hits

AV how do I fight it???
Give you an example, a couple of day's ago I went out to get some stuff for dinner. Walked past the liquor store, dropped the shopping into the car, started the car and AV hit. Got out of the car walked into the liquor store, stared down a bottle of scotch on special, walked out of the liquor store without the bottle. The attendant looked at me with amazement, no one walks out with nothing.
So on my way home I drive past another liquor store, AV hits again, really bad, I drive around the shopping centre 3 times before I succumb and buy a bottle of scotch.
I need help !!!

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

, James
Old 08-30-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The Karate training 3 nights a week sounds like an excellent idea JS. For me the cravings would start about 6:30pm, peak between 9 - 10pm and pass by about 11pm so I would spend a fair bit of time on meal preperation to defer the onset of cravings, after which I would go out for a walk if the weather wasn't too bad and watch other people being drunk and stupid

I also phoned friends and colleges and I got involved with other people's struggles here on SR.

Eventually I got enough days that the cravings took the occasional night off and eventually they became infrequent visitors, anyway your plan seems pretty similar to mine with the added bonus of karate so good luck

PS I do remember when I first quit there seemed to be special offers available everywhere - AV at work
Old 08-30-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have someone to call and speak with before you get near a liquor store?

Can you write a journal?

Can you write down how bad it gets for you when you do drink? Keep it on you and read it?

Just a few things you can add to your support and anti-AV plan!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi James,

Looks aligned to what I am doing at the moment, just different activities.

Have you thought about setting yourself some long term goals relating to karate, cooking or whatever else you like? I did this with the idea of expanding the hours I spend doing the activities themselves to additional time when I think about them, plan, track my progress and find motivation, long term goals help with that.

P
Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My top tip for any plan is regular support, planning to log in when things get tough is great, but I didn't leave anything to chance, I didn't trust myself in the beginning to be that sensible when alcohol came calling, and it got me through a few tough times.

SR was my main support in the beginning, I scheduled into my day regular check ins, when I got up before I went to work, at lunch time, before I left work to kill any thoughts of that pick up on the drive home, when I arrived home so I wouldn't turn back to the liquor store, and finally before bed.

Having something to keep me focused on the task at hand, I can't say just how important this was to my own plan!!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post

Going to make one day a week, fishing day, my hobby.

I drive around the shopping centre 3 times before I succumb and buy a bottle of scotch.
I enjoy sober fishing, that's a good thing for us.

I pondered going into a certain bar for three days. Ended up driving in. If we entertain the thought for too long -- we will probably end up drinking again.

Actually, I do anything to keep it far from my mind at all times.
Sounds like you are in shape.
Every time it crosses your mind drop and do 20 push ups.
Before long you will try your best to be rid of the thought.
Even if it takes 1,000 push ups in one day.

If you don't get with the program soon
you may need to buy larger shirts.
Enlargement of the chest, caused by trying to do the right thing.

My sponsor taught me that,
it's all about what we do or don't do.

M-Bob
Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Change your route if you can! Your plan sounds so excellent, I like the ideas of creating long term goals along with the very busy weekly schedule. For me, the health related decisions I make are somewhat easier as the Drs warning was scary and the memory of my late friends suffering is so fresh.......
Old 08-30-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sugarbear hit what I was going to suggest. I would carry a list of truths with me. If my mind went in that direction I pulled it out and read.

Think of it as a sound minded you writing to you at a bad moment.

I started my letter like this:

Dear LadyBlue, if you're reading this right now you're considering the unthinkable. Let me remind you of a few truths.

My list contained things I had done in the past because of alcohol.

It's best handwritten. Something about seeing a handwritten letter to yourself that gets through better.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

I don't see anything on the list that actually deals with alcoholism. Seems if your on this site the odds are pretty good you are an alcoholic. Making AA your top priority, at least for awhile, will give you the tools you need to live life and enjoy fishing and all those other activities that you'll have living sober!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My plan was:
  • Tell a few select people I was quitting drinking
  • Made a doctors appointment and told him how much I was drinking
  • Went to Intensive Outpatient Therapy for 3 months
  • Started going to AA 6 times a week
  • Had a dry house
  • Did not go anywhere alcohol was present
  • Worked the Steps
  • Developed sober friends and activities
  • Found a higher power of my understanding

Sobriety for me required real change. Diet and exercise are good things but they are unlikely to keep you sober
Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi James

I see a lot of stuff and things to do there, but not as much on the nuts and
bolts of not drinking?

Have you gone through this link before?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

It will help you work out strategies to help you deal with the AV

D
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WHAT DEE SAID!

That was my first thought too, reading your post- everything you mention is GREAT but it must come after not drinking. Every day- that is the FIRST choice you have to make.

It sounds like a perfect time for AA.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
My plan was:
  • Tell a few select people I was quitting drinking
  • Made a doctors appointment and told him how much I was drinking
  • Went to Intensive Outpatient Therapy for 3 months
  • Started going to AA 6 times a week
  • Had a dry house
  • Did not go anywhere alcohol was present
  • Worked the Steps
  • Developed sober friends and activities
  • Found a higher power of my understanding
Sobriety for me required real change. Diet and exercise are good things but they are unlikely to keep you sober
I second this. Working on your mind is as important as physical exercise.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a long, long way from being an authority on this topic, but here's some of mine, FWIW.

- Check into SR at least twice daily (morning and evening). This alone helps me challenge my ways of thinking and work out, is this a healthy way of thinking or do I need to think about this in a new way?
- Post on the May '16, weekender and bedtime gratitude threads. The first keeps me accountable. The second I find challenges me - particularly some of the alcoholic thinking. The last reminds me of what I've gained by choosing not to drink and why it's so important to keep at this. It also helps maintain a sense of perspective.
- I''ve found a new yoga and meditation class. This is to help work on how I handle stress (which was my go-to excuse for drinking).
I've taken up new/rediscovered old hobbies - these are just ways to productively fill the time that I used to spend getting drunk. I read! (Terry Pratchett got me through the first 30 days; for that I will be endlessly grateful.) I kayak. I sew.
- I also have stuff in my plan for what to do when I get a craving. Hitting the shower works for me, for some reason; so does going to bed early. I also play the tape through - this is particularly useful if I've felt triggered by something.
- I also pre-plan what I think might be tricker situations, so I know how to handle things like meeting a friend for dinner (so knowing where I'm going, how I'll get there, what I'll say if offered alcohol etc).

Of all that stuff, I think being aware of/challenging thought proccesses and patterns is what's most important for my plan. The rest are nice fillers. But not kyaking isn't what made me alcoholic, so kayaking's not really going to solve it, either. That's why the brain work is important, I guess.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all!
Lots of ideas for thought.

Dee thanks for the link, I'll get to it tomorrow morning ... I had big day, didn't get everything I wanted to do today done.Just home from training, dinner, tea then bed.

No alcohol today YYYyyyyiiiiipppppeeee!!!!!

, James
Old 08-31-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
AV how do I fight it???
I find a simple "NO" works well.

I've driven around liquor stores and stared down bottles, too. The whole time a debate was going on in my head. Me vs AV.

I don't debate my AV anymore. It's pointless to do so. In 30 years it has never told me anything but lies. Why would I debate or negotiate with a known liar?

It wants to drink.
I tell it "NO"
The 'fight' is over.

You can do this.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One more thing:

I had my first friend go back out; she nearly OD'ed last week and went inpatient on Sun. I had a lot of emotional reaction to this that I worked through on Sun.

The most stunning thing that finally came to me in the evening, as I had used my tools through the day (called my sponsor, my (in recovery) boyfriend, my Mom, read my BB, napped, watched "Julie & Julia," ate some ice cream, and went to work, in no particular order except for the last one) was this:

"Because of MY choices, I GET to go to work, NOT to the hospital."

Bam.

Think about it: what our good choices are mean good things. When we don't drink, we KEEP our options open and can live a good life. No hospitals, no prison, no isolation at home, no staring at liquor bottles because we just don't go to liquor stores....nada.

Good luck. You CAN stay sober and live a recovered life.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to read this thread and a reminder of a few things that are required - needing to up my game at present as altho it's of course the most crucial one - not drinking I'm doing pretty much little else - both taking care of the physical and mental aspects are key to living comfortably within yourself.

Timely reminder - thank you and good luck
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

AV how do I fight it???
The AV is a toddler. Don't fight toddlers.

Just send it to bed - let it tire itself out.

You're the adult in this relationship, James, not the victim - things don't happen to you, you make things happen

D