Notices

Can someone share a recovery plan that does not include AA?

Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I have got a copy of Allen Carr's book and will try to get through it over the long weekend. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I have also researched the other suggestions on this thread and will continue to look more into those. I am happy that there are other ways that have worked for people.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4MyMel View Post
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I have got a copy of Allen Carr's book and will try to get through it over the long weekend. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I have also researched the other suggestions on this thread and will continue to look more into those. I am happy that there are other ways that have worked for people.
For formal secular-based programs, there is also SMART Recovery, SoS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety) and LifeRing. Although, there may not be meetings in your area.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Different tools work for different people, love the easy way to connect to people on this site, that's all the connection I seem to need. You guys validate my concerns with your stories, teach strategies and give advice to others I can relate to.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

And could someone explain what the counting is about? Days?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
And could someone explain what the counting is about? Days?
Most people who have quit a substance count their consecutive days of sobriety in some form or fashion. Personally, I see it at as a way to maintain motivation.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Most people who have quit a substance count their consecutive days of sobriety in some form or fashion. Personally, I see it at as a way to maintain motivation.
For me it tends to be trigger.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
quat

The top of the mountain is the goal you can plan your own route. Find Your best path and just keep putting one foot in front of the other , eyes on the prize Onward!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My plan is very doable and has worked in the past (until I stopped) and is currently working again (now beefed up).

Past plan: 1 hour each night on SR in bed. This worked for 15 months.

Current plan: half an hour each morning on SR before I get out of bed. Half an hour throughout the day or more if needed (much easier with mobile device) and same 1 hour each night in bed. I have not deviated from this plan, and on bad days I spend hours in here. Currently at 288 days... experiencing one of the hardest years in my life: quit job, started a new business, sold house, bought new house and have 3 kids under 10.
Happiest I have ever been.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

AA wasn't my cup of tea, either. I think it's a great support system, though. I actually went to inpatient rehab (non 12 Step based) and have been sober since last October. It was a holistic kinda place based on the Three Principles, or the "3 P's" as they are referred to. It's more about a shift in thinking -- to live in the now, because that's all we really have -- than addiction per se. I'm going through some very challenging times right now and the 3 P's has really helped calm my anxiety. Anyway, as you can see, everyone kinda carves their own path to sobriety....there's not one "right" way. Only the way that's right for you.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I sit on both sides of the aisle: my sib is an active alcoholic, and there are alcoholics perched on almost every branch of my family tree. I am also a recovering alcoholic, sober for several years now. One thing that helped me in both recovery programs was to find out as much as I could about all elements of alcoholism: causes, predilections, genetic susceptibilities, rehab programs in the U.S. and how they differ from those in Europe. You name it, I read about it. (I can only imagine what my local librarians thought ��). But, ya know, knowledge is power. The more I knew, the better able I was to cope. Peace.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

4MyMel, welcome to SR! It's great to see you here, there is a lot of support for you.

SoberRecovery has a forum that specifically addresses what you are looking for - it's called Secular Connections. You will find discussions around all manner of alternatives to 12 step methods. Lots of support for you there too!